A2000 Leather is hard - Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2000 Leather is hard - Any advice?

I was given an A2000 from a friend for my son. It is completely broken in but the leather on the inside palm is very hard. Almost like the leather got wet and left in the sun. I tried using some leather conditioner on it about 2 weeks ago, but it is still very hard, to the point where it makes the glove uncomfortable to squeeze. Does anyone have any advice on how to treat this?

You have a few options:

1. Easiest way but takes some time - Just play catch, alot of it. The leather will break down and soften after a couple thousand catches, and will form nicely to your son's hand.

2. Beat the glove with a mallet to soften. Focus on the hinge points. Then play catch, alot of it.

3. Steam the glove for a few minutes then immediately play catch, alot of it. You will see a marked difference in the softness of the glove after the steaming. Then have your son play catch while still soft and it will form nicely to his hand. Take the glove to a glove shop for the steam treatment or steam at home setting your glove on top of an inverted colander sitting over a pot of water.

If you've already oiled your glove, don't oil again. More oil won't help soften any further and will only add weight to the glove.

Comment

My son got a new glove this year and the local shop recommended Tanners Heat Treat (http://www.tanners.com/pages/glovecare.htm). It softened the glove up nicely. Others may cry snake oil, but it worked for him.

But I also agree with CoolHandLuke and play catch often...and then play catch some more.

Comment

Originally posted by zocco View Post
        My son got a new glove this year and the local shop recommended Tanners Heat Treat (http://www.tanners.com/pages/glovecare.htm). It softened the glove up nicely. Others may cry snake oil, but it worked for him.

But I also agree with CoolHandLuke and play catch often...and then play catch some more.
        Never ever ever put a glove in the oven!!!!!!!!! You will dry out the leather. The reason the Rawlings Renegade glove they used in the video came out soft, is because they are a very low end model made with cheap leather. The leather is so soft that you can play catch with it out of the box.

I like Neatsfoot Oil and many many games of catch to break a glove in. When I'm not playing catch, I will throw a ball into the glove while sitting at home.
        See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
          Never ever ever put a glove in the oven!!!!!!!!! You will dry out the leather. The reason the Rawlings Renegade glove they used in the video came out soft, is because they are a very low end model made with cheap leather. The leather is so soft that you can play catch with it out of the box.

I like Neatsfoot Oil and many many games of catch to break a glove in. When I'm not playing catch, I will throw a ball into the glove while sitting at home.
          I have used Tanners on my sons Rawlings HOH catchers mitt, and his Tpx Flare. Works really well and DOES NOT dry it out. We follow the instructions and as soon as it comes out of the oven we play catch with it right away, the leather s still soft and warm and allows for a good pocket to start forming before it cools off and hardens. We do this about 3 times and have had great results. After its all done we put the Wilson glove conditioner on it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X