Proper way to tag in this situation: Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to tag in this situation: Video

This is the 2nd or third time I've seen this in a tee ball game this year. Whats the best way to teach the tag on a bang bang play at the plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AKAL7ZepI

I'm more concerned with the kid wearing a visor during a baseball game. Heh Heh.

Is this an actual play at the plate where an out would be recorded or is this one of those "last batter, every runs out the bases, the fielder runs home to step on the plate plays"?

I would teach the 1B to throw the ball to the catcher who was standing there instead of running all the way in from 1B and creating a collision situation with a runner, who by rule, has to slide directly into the plate.

If I'm the parents or coaches I'm asking why the 1B created a collision situation. I think it's a reasonable expectation because there really isn;t any way to teach a 5-6yo kid running at full speed to make a tag between the runner and plate without initiating a collision.

So, in short, IMO, you don't teach your 1B how to make a tag at the plate, because [1] he shouldn;t be there and [2] there's no way to do it at a full run.

Comment

Here's another video that appears to be the same team that shows the 1B running over and catching a ball that the 2nd baseman was camped under.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA-Es...feature=relmfu

Edit: Nevermind. There seem to be whole lot of highlight videos featuring the same player.
      Last edited by CircleChange11; 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
        I'm more concerned with the kid wearing a visor during a baseball game. Heh Heh.

Is this an actual play at the plate where an out would be recorded or is this one of those "last batter, every runs out the bases, the fielder runs home to step on the plate plays"?

I would teach the 1B to throw the ball to the catcher who was standing there instead of running all the way in from 1B and creating a collision situation with a runner, who by rule, has to slide directly into the plate.

If I'm the parents or coaches I'm asking why the 1B created a collision situation. I think it's a reasonable expectation because there really isn;t any way to teach a 5-6yo kid running at full speed to make a tag between the runner and plate without initiating a collision.

So, in short, IMO, you don't teach your 1B how to make a tag at the plate, because [1] he shouldn;t be there and [2] there's no way to do it at a full run.
        Good point. He should have thrown home. The other situation where this occurred a fielder was running to the circle to stop the play and realize the runner was past the halfway point and had to make the tag at home.
        Last edited by utseay; 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

A kid from first should not be running in to make the tag. He needs to make the throw home to the player waiting at the plate.

Comment

Haha, that was hillarious! I love how the first baseman said "I'm taking this one on my own". I don't think the catcher wanted anything to do with that - he quickly bailed once he saw the first baseman storming in. Obviously he should have thrown the ball to the catcher, but this is what I loved about T-ball, the kids just throw all the rules out the window. Fun to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by mellowthunder View Post
              Fun to watch!
              Here's what's been my experience. The defender in the video and other videos is higher performing than the other kids and seems to make a lot of plays "on his own" even though teammates are in the proper positions. Everything is great.

Let another kid, "tag the crap" out of him, run over him at the plate, jump in front of him when he's camped under a pop up, and all hell breaks lose.

The bottom line is there shouldn't be situations in t-ball where a collision at the plate is unavoidable, and a 1B running in from 1st trying to tag a runner running in front 3rd is one of them. Like I said, let Mr. Playmaker be the runner from 3rd, and The Real Mr. Playmaker be the 1B running in from 1st (and outweigh him by 30 pounds), and see how Mr. Playmaker's mom and dad feel about it.

Everything about t-ball is fun ... until certain players or parents forget that it is, actually, t-ball.

Comment

Here's another video that appears to be the same team that shows the 1B running over and catching a ball that the 2nd baseman was camped under.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA-Es...feature=relmfu
                I love watching this age group (don't know if I enjoyed it as much when I was still coaching that age group).
                My favorite part of this video is the player on the blue team who crosses home plate about :13 into the video.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlanza View Post
                  My favorite part of this video is the player on the blue team who crosses home plate about :13 into the video.
                  He's just getting his reps in. No need to miss an opportunity at touching the plate. lol

Comment

Originally posted by johnlanza View Post
                    I love watching this age group (don't know if I enjoyed it as much when I was still coaching that age group).
                    I loved that! Kids being kids. My son used to slide into home plate everytime even when the play wasn't at the plate. Sadly it only last a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by mellowthunder View Post
                      I loved that! Kids being kids. My son used to slide into home plate everytime even when the play wasn't at the plate. Sadly it only last a couple of years.
                      We had a kid do a "jump slide" into home plate yesterday on a close play. He is now known as "Monkey" (from Kung Fu Panda).

10434_1213426079877_500_239.jpg

One more thing to love about baseball, every crazy thing you do leads to a new nickname.

Comment

We had a kid do a "jump slide" into home plate yesterday on a close play. He is now known as "Monkey" (from Kung Fu Panda).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107695[/ATTACH]

One more thing to love about baseball, every crazy thing you do leads to a new nickname.

I'm sure that hurt his tush when he landed. I bet he won't be doing that anymore.

Comment

Like I said, let Mr. Playmaker be the runner from 3rd, and The Real Mr. Playmaker be the 1B running in from 1st (and outweigh him by 30 pounds), and see how Mr. Playmaker's mom and dad feel about it.
                          lol, funny that you mention this, because last year the 1B in the video was the "runner on 3rd" (actually second), and the 1B running from 1st was bigger:

http://youtu.be/Dj1nOspC4yA

Check out the pitcher, classic t-ball.
                          Last edited by utseay; 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by utseay View Post
                            lol, funny that you mention this, because last year the 1B in the video was the "runner on 3rd" (actually second), and the 1B running from 1st was bigger:

http://youtu.be/Dj1nOspC4yA

Check out the pitcher, classic t-ball.
                            I love the pitcher with the face guard in the middle. looking for the ball to be thrown to him while bouncing around, so excited.

I have a few kids like that every year and its so fun to watch how excited they are to try and be part of a play that they just look like a chicken with their head cut off. Eventually they learn to relax, but its always fun to watch!

Comment

That seems like a play that could be eliminated from the game/league and still have all of the fun of t-ball.

It's not nearly as bad as youth soccer, where the coach just yells the name of one player the whole game to "get the ball" "get the ball" "get the ball".

What's the background/reasoning for the "plays at the plate" like that? Is it part of an out, or a tradition where the fielder and batter race to the plate at the end of inning? Or something else?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X