Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is this coach teaching this? Video

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why is this coach teaching this? Video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icsQpc-XH3k

    I've watched a bunch of videos of this team, and they are amazing for 6u.

    My question is, what is the purpose of having the players put their hand on their shoulder after every swing?

  • #2
    Originally posted by utseay View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icsQpc-XH3k

    I've watched a bunch of videos of this team, and they are amazing for 6u.

    My question is, what is the purpose of having the players put their hand on their shoulder after every swing?
    In my opinion they are teaching top hand release are are doing so very wrong on many levels...
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

    Comment


    • #3
      The coach believes his players should have a one-handed finish. Presumably this promotes full rotation of the torso.

      See what he's saying to the kid at around 3:00... "all the way around" and raises his right arm to show how the finish should look.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
        In my opinion they are teaching top hand release are are doing so very wrong on many levels...
        Can you share what they are doing wrong and the right way to do it?

        Also, can you suggest the best instructional site / DVD set to get if your interested in learning rotational hitting (off topic)?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by utseay View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icsQpc-XH3k

          I've watched a bunch of videos of this team, and they are amazing for 6u.

          My question is, what is the purpose of having the players put their hand on their shoulder after every swing?
          Could be an extension/lead arm extension thing.
          Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

          I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            I can not see how this helps this young man at all...

            He's releasing way to soon and this is a horrible technique to be teaching at this age...

            ZZZ Bad Swing.PNG
            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

            Comment


            • #7
              Those 6yo are bigger than my 8yo.
              WAR EAGLE!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by utseay View Post
                Can you share what they are doing wrong and the right way to do it?

                Also, can you suggest the best instructional site / DVD set to get if your interested in learning rotational hitting (off topic)?
                This player has obvious rotational and swing plane issues... I have no idea in what context he's teaching this, but if releasing the top hand is part of the result he seeks then I would get another instructor... No One I have ever worked with teaches this at this age... As Far as how good they are... who knows... Maybe they just have some great talent.
                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                  This player has obvious rotational and swing plane issues... I have no idea in what context he's teaching this, but if releasing the top hand is part of the result he seeks then I would get another instructor... No One I have ever worked with teaches this at this age... As Far as how good they are... who knows... Maybe they just have some great talent.
                  Thanks for the input. It looked weird to me, but they've won so much I thought he may know what he's talking about.

                  Any suggestions on a good instructional DVD set?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by utseay View Post
                    Thanks for the input. It looked weird to me, but they've won so much I thought he may know what he's talking about.

                    Any suggestions on a good instructional DVD set?
                    Sometimes the accomplishments of a talented young team has little to do with the coach... other than he was able to get great ball players. I'll send you a PM re: DVD.
                    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                      This player has obvious rotational and swing plane issues...
                      I thought he looked pretty good for his age! The second batter (the white kid) had, IMO, a swing that would look good for a kid twice his age.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bbrages View Post
                        I thought he looked pretty good for his age! The second batter (the white kid) had, IMO, a swing that would look good for a kid twice his age.
                        Are you suggesting the frame above is good???
                        "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                        - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                          Sometimes the accomplishments of a talented young team has little to do with the coach... other than he was able to get great ball players. I'll send you a PM re: DVD.
                          Good point on picking great players. Thanks for the PM. Looking forward to learning rotational hitting theory / techniques. Found a few sites, but want to make sure I buy something good.

                          Originally posted by bbrages View Post
                          I thought he looked pretty good for his age! The second batter (the white kid) had, IMO, a swing that would look good for a kid twice his age.
                          Yes, the white kid can stroke it. Below is a vid of him hitting a dinger...apparently his dad had the video camera, lol. Looking up random 6u kids on youtube......I need to get a hobby.ha
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf-ZizlvNq8&feature=plcp
                          Last edited by utseay; 05-09-2012, 07:39 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by utseay View Post
                            Good point on picking great players. Thanks for the PM. Looking forward to learning rotational hitting theory / techniques. Found a few sites, but want to make sure I buy something good.



                            Yes, the white kid can stroke it. Below is a vid of him hitting a dinger...apparently his dad had the video camera, lol. Looking up random 6u kids on youtube......I need to get a hobby.ha
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf-ZizlvNq8&feature=plcp
                            This is not that bad:
                            zzz... Hitter.PNG

                            I doubt this is a result of the instruction you submitted in the initial post.... Something doesn't jive here.
                            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                              This is not that bad:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]108421[/ATTACH]

                              I doubt this is a result of the instruction you submitted in the initial post.... Something doesn't jive here.
                              Actually, different kid. The kid in the first video was a lefty. I just saw the same open stance then step in and assumed it was the same kid. Same team though.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X