Batting Practice hitting tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting Practice hitting tools

What are some of the best Hitting tools to have with you for weekend tournament games with all the cages taken and limited space?

A popup screen for soft toss....

Comment

I haven't used it myself, but I've seen teams swing a bat at a tire which was mounted on a pole.

And while not everyone here may agree, I like every batter hitting about a dozen wiffle balls as a warmup before a game. Having two, sometimes three, coaches handle the pitching helps us get through this pretty quickly. We just do this in the outfield area and is something we have done before every game the past three seasons or so. It's a loose drill just to get the guys loose and ready. I think it helps develop their timing for the day. It's not a time for changing mechanics - those were covered in our weekly team practice. We're a 7/8 coach-pitch team.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlanza View Post
        I haven't used it myself, but I've seen teams swing a bat at a tire which was mounted on a pole.

And while not everyone here may agree, I like every batter hitting about a dozen wiffle balls as a warmup before a game. Having two, sometimes three, coaches handle the pitching helps us get through this pretty quickly. We just do this in the outfield area and is something we have done before every game the past three seasons or so. It's a loose drill just to get the guys loose and ready. I think it helps develop their timing for the day. It's not a time for changing mechanics - those were covered in our weekly team practice. We're a 7/8 coach-pitch team.
        Not a big fan of whiffle balls being thrown. I think it tends to promote lunging in hitters because of the wind resistance. I prefer to set up a tee and hit whiffle balls off the tee if no cages are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
          Not a big fan of whiffle balls being thrown. I think it tends to promote lunging in hitters because of the wind resistance. I prefer to set up a tee and hit whiffle balls off the tee if no cages are available.
          I'm a big fan of whiffle golf balls for BP. The players have to concentrate to hit them on the nose. Players shouldn't lunge because of whiffle balls. That's a hitting weakness. What will they do with slower pitchers? They need to learn to stay back. We always had the Jugs screen for soft toss. But I've never been a big fan of tosses from the side.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
            I'm a big fan of whiffle golf balls for BP. The players have to concentrate to hit them on the nose. Players shouldn't lunge because of whiffle balls. That's a hitting weakness. What will they do with slower pitchers? They need to learn to stay back. We always had the Jugs screen for soft toss. But I've never been a big fan of tosses from the side.
            They throw a hitters timing off, they float. Better off taking warm up hacks with a hitting stick IMO.

Comment

If that's what's happening, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

They throw a hitters timing off, they float. Better off taking warm up hacks with a hitting stick IMO.
                They don't float if you throw them hard from up close. I hold the whiffle ball up where the hitter can see it, then throw it hard. It's BP speed.

Comment

They don't float if you throw them hard from up close. I hold the whiffle ball up where the hitter can see it, then throw it hard. It's BP speed.
                  Does not look the same and does not feel the same, but if it works for you thats all that matters. Best of luck and I do mean that!:gt

Comment

Does not look the same and does not feel the same, but if it works for you thats all that matters. Best of luck and I do mean that!:gt
                    With pre-game bp is of no matter if you use real baseballs and bring in a college pitcher. The conditions will not be the same as game time situations/emotions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                      With pre-game bp is of no matter if you use real baseballs and bring in a college pitcher. The conditions will not be the same as game time situations/emotions.
                      Agree that's why I said just taking dry cuts with a hitting stick is just as effective in getting my guys loose before a game. Actually just having the team take a bunch of dry swings with proper mechanics is good before a game.

Comment

I like the heavy yellow, squishy, whatever they're called balls. You HAVE TO have great contact to "send em".

I've seen teams used deflated volleyballs, 16-inch softballs and things of that nature. Tools that promote serious mechanics and strength/speed.

Whiffle balls are simply just a contact mechanism. Everyone hits whiffle balls well.

If I would use whiffle balls, I'd prefer soft

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
                          I like the heavy yellow, squishy, whatever they're called balls. You HAVE TO have great contact to "send em".

I've seen teams used deflated volleyballs, 16-inch softballs and things of that nature. Tools that promote serious mechanics and strength/speed.

Whiffle balls are simply just a contact mechanism. Everyone hits whiffle balls well.

If I would use whiffle balls, I'd prefer soft
                          BP is about loosening up and connecting. When I played we took our first eight swings seriously. The next eight we played home run derby.

Comment

If you are truly limited, then in most cases hard balls are out.

A net is a huge help for both soft toss and tee work. If that's not possible...

That leaves golf size whiffle balls, reg whiffle balls, hitting sticks, safe-t-balls. Deflate dodge balls and volleyballs work too --- get them to really drive these.

If you have a pole - like a basketball pole, you can consider a SKLZ Hit-A-Way.

Comment

BP is about loosening up and connecting. When I played we took our first eight swings seriously. The next eight we played home run derby.
                              I was operating under the assumption that BP was about ...

1. Preparing for game timing.
                              2. Refreshing mechanics.

I won't argue about the HR Derby aspect; with the whiffle balls we play "hit the coach (often me) off the bucket".

As a coach I take BP a lot more seriously than I did as a player.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X