Batting cage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kimbercarry View Post
    Just curious. Whats the board for in the left hand batter box? Do you use it during drills?
    My son and I have been trying to get my wife to let us invest the money for an outdoor cage but we can't get her to budge. Anybody have ideas how I can soften her stance?
    I told my wife that it would be temporary and at some point it would be easily taken down. That was 3 years ago. :innocent:

Comment

Just curious. Whats the board for in the left hand batter box? Do you use it during drills?
      My son and I have been trying to get my wife to let us invest the money for an outdoor cage but we can't get her to budge. Anybody have ideas how I can soften her stance?
      Take her with every time you go to the field to hit & have her shag fly's

Comment

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
        I told my wife that it would be temporary and at some point it would be easily taken down. That was 3 years ago. :innocent:
        YES!!! Just get the thing erected, wife complains but then the hits start coming, wife let's it go.

Comment

Told that wife that I would build it so that when we were done with it, we could slide the net over, "almost out of sight" at one end of the cage.....

We slide it over one time when we had company coming over, so they could admire the hillside my wife had so beautifully planted.....that was eight years ago, hasn't be slid over since.
          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

This is what I setup in my back yard. I don't really remember how much it cost all total. I think it was around 1000 with the net being the biggest cost. All of the cage beams came from home depot. It's a full 70x14x12, but I didn't extend it out to the full 70. The mound to the plate is exactly 46', so the option is there for the future to extend it further with the excess just being folded up at the end. I've since put in a wood backstop with those blue foam bits attached to it with the net attached between the two. The pitching machine was tearing up the net. It's one of the best things I ever did. My kid and I are out there, on average, 5 days a week.

My wife never once had an issue with any of it. Not like we have a "beautiful view" out of the back... just woods. I had to cut into the woods a bit to get enough flat ground as we live on a slope. That was honestly the hardest part of the whole deal!
            Attached Files

Comment

We don't worry about the view lol & it's on my neighbor's property by about 10% . The evergreens have since been removed cuz it was blocking my view of the cage
              2007_0729Image0042.JPG

Comment

My son hits left handed, at the end of last year he started stepping in the bucket a little so I have him stand on the board and hit. I remember when I was in little league coaches would put a bat behind your feet. I hated that so much I told myself I would never do that, the board works well. Hes not afraid of falling but knows when he stepped out and can correct it.

Comment

Thanks Santo. Never thought of that usage. I could use that with some of the kids on my team.
                  Originally posted by Santoball View Post
                  My son hits left handed, at the end of last year he started stepping in the bucket a little so I have him stand on the board and hit. I remember when I was in little league coaches would put a bat behind your feet. I hated that so much I told myself I would never do that, the board works well. Hes not afraid of falling but knows when he stepped out and can correct it.
                  Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.
                  (Babe Ruth)

Comment

Originally posted by The Flush View Post
                    How much did everything cost? I am tempted to do something similar.
                    Originally posted by The Flush View Post
                    How much did everything cost? I am tempted to do something similar.
                    The net was about 400.00 for a poly net not nylon, nylon is more expensive. One thing I would have done different is get the 14 ft wide net, mine is 12. The difference in price was about 40.00. My expense was the frame, I wanted it free standing and here in Oklahoma the wind is bad so the frame is 1 5/8" pipe, I probably have 500.00 in pipe and connector. I bought the pipe a little at a time whenever the local ranch supply had a sale. So far so good.
                    http://www.ysbw.com for connectors and http://www.practicesports.com for the net. This was a long process for me, alot of trial and error trying to combat the wind, if you have any questions I'll try to help. I started with the 3/4" conduit but spent more time fixing it than hitting.

Comment

The net was about 400.00 for a poly net not nylon, nylon is more expensive. One thing I would have done different is get the 14 ft wide net, mine is 12. The difference in price was about 40.00. My expense was the frame, I wanted it free standing and here in Oklahoma the wind is bad so the frame is 1 5/8" pipe, I probably have 500.00 in pipe and connector. I bought the pipe a little at a time whenever the local ranch supply had a sale. So far so good.
                      http://www.ysbw.com for connectors and http://www.practicesports.com for the net. This was a long process for me, alot of trial and error trying to combat the wind, if you have any questions I'll try to help. I started with the 3/4" conduit but spent more time fixing it than hitting.
                      That's looks great. Man I bet you had some trials with the storms and wind. Just look at your trees..lol..no guessing at the direction of the prevailing winds. Could you have moved it beyond those trees to block a little wind?

Comment

Just curious Clay, how many critters have you snagged it your net? I've had 3 rabbits, a turtle, and a snake(that was a fun one). Set up looks great! I'm sure you pick up the bottom of your net when not in use. Heres what I did, works greatIMG_5900.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
                          That's looks great. Man I bet you had some trials with the storms and wind. Just look at your trees..lol..no guessing at the direction of the prevailing winds. Could you have moved it beyond those trees to block a little wind?
                          You can't see it in the picture, but my barn is to the right which is south, to help with the wind...a little. This time of year the wind is'nt to bad, spring is real bad. Next year will be the test, Can't tell you how many times I came home from work and my old cage looked like a giant dead tarantula laying in the yard.

Comment

Just a note, those 3/4" conduit cages are not bad if you don't have alot of wind, I went that way for a few years and was happy with it. They are relatively inexpensive , the wind here just got the best of me.

Comment

You can't see it in the picture, but my barn is to the right which is south, to help with the wind...a little. This time of year the wind is'nt to bad, spring is real bad. Next year will be the test, Can't tell you how many times I came home from work and my old cage looked like a giant dead tarantula laying in the yard.
                              what mine looked like when i put it up a few weeks to early. Got a late april snow storm. Not a happy morning to say the least. Not sure how i made it an attachment but none the less the whole cage was wrecked due to 1 inch of wet snow
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by benz99; 09-06-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Just curious Clay, how many critters have you snagged it your net? I've had 3 rabbits, a turtle, and a snake(that was a fun one). Set up looks great! I'm sure you pick up the bottom of your net when not in use. Heres what I did, works great[ATTACH]114552[/ATTACH]
                                I haven't come out and found anything in it. But... I do have some really odd holes here and there! I have never lifted it up, but that's actually a really good idea you've got there!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X