No announcement yet.

Youth Phenoms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct..how many games are top 18 yr old pitchers playing between fall showcase/spring /summer league ball...more than sixty or no?

Comment

• Originally posted by raptor View Post
      How many innings do you see top of rotation high school starters throw in a spring season in your areas?
      My son's high school played 22 games in 9 weeks plus playoffs. After the first couple of weeks the ace was expected to go the distance. So I would say he's throwing about 59 innings. Playoffs added 14 to 21 more innings. The state allows 7 innings in a day and 10 innings from Sunday to Saturday. Yes that means pitcher could throw 14 innings in 3 days. I don't recollect over three years anyone starting on less than three days rest. Until the playoffs my son's coach stayed in rotation rather than matchups.

Comment

I've heard many college programs have adopted the "age x 100" guideline, where an 18 yr old may throw no more than 1800 competitive pitches in a calendar year.
        D1s typically play two non con weekday games and a three game weekend conference series. The weekend starter is expected to go as far as he can. These are college coaches with a reputation of riding their horses into the ground. One major program has a reputation of all it's drafted pitchers having major arm surgery within two or three years of turning pro.

Comment

Correct..how many games are top 18 yr old pitchers playing between fall showcase/spring /summer league ball...more than sixty or no?
          The summer after senior year is somewhat of a cruise summer. The players have their college commitment in place. Some will play a short 20U season. Others will play Legion. Pitchers usually play the 20U season where the coach knows to keep their arm fresh for their first college fall ball.

Comment

• Is it common for high school pitchers to pitch twice during a double header? I don't watch a lot of high school ball, but we had a few prospects in town last year to play against one of our high schools. The ace on the other team pitched 6 innings in game 1 and then they brought him back in to close game 2. This kid was 90-93 (which makes it worse, imo) and was committed to an SEC school. No one seemed to have a problem with it, but I thought it was a terrible decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by TouchemAll View Post
              Just a kid who absolutely loves the game of baseball and works very hard at it. ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWixPKRWGiE
              If this is your kid you are a delusional parent. If the stats mean anything (they don't) I've seen plenty of top players in that age group put up better numbers. Yet when it was time they weren't good enough to play high school ball.
              Last edited by tg643; 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                The summer after senior year is somewhat of a cruise summer. The players have their college commitment in place. Some will play a short 20U season. Others will play Legion. Pitchers usually play the 20U season where the coach knows to keep their arm fresh for their first college fall ball.
                What about a 16 or 17 yr old who is a top rotation guy?

Comment

• Originally posted by d-mac View Post
                  Is it common for high school pitchers to pitch twice during a double header? I don't watch a lot of high school ball, but we had a few prospects in town last year to play against one of our high schools. The ace on the other team pitched 6 innings in game 1 and then they brought him back in to close game 2. This kid was 90-93 (which makes it worse, imo) and was committed to an SEC school. No one seemed to have a problem with it, but I thought it was a terrible decision.
                  I've seen it. My son's coach didn't do it. Each week he had his starters, relievers and closer. Then each game the relievers where told their expected order of appearance. The only variation was lefty/lefty or righty/righty situations.

Comment

What about a 16 or 17 yr old who is a top rotation guy?
                    We played in the top level conference. There were very few non senior aces. The couple that I knew of played 20U after their junior year. They only attended showcases that included pro scouts. On my son's team each of the three years a senior was the top guy. Soph year the team had three senior pitchers heading to college ball. The third pitcher was a me first kid. He was not pleased getting the short end of the innings. The team didn't always have three games in a week.

Comment

Correct..how many games are top 18 yr old pitchers playing between fall showcase/spring /summer league ball...more than sixty or no?
                      Most.... Too many.
                      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                        Most.... Too many.
                        I find this to not be true unless a kid is ridden like a horse by a Legion team. For most college prospects there's no reason to play fall ball heading into senior year. They've already verballed. If they are looking to get drafted they may do two or three showcases pitching two or three innings in each. What's most important is to be fresh for the next fall when they arrive on campus for their first fall ball exposure.

Comment

• Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                          I find this to not be true unless a kid is ridden like a horse by a Legion team.
                          On this we agree!
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                            On this we agree!
                            It' a regional thing. From living in MA now I know Legion is still relevant in New England. One of my friend's son even played Legion after freshman year of college even though he was one of the better pitchers on a ranked D3 team. My son and his senior high school teammates played Legion for the first time after senior year of high school. It was one last hurrah together after two high school conference titles. The one college baseball bound, senior pitcher went in telling the coach he wasn't pitching more than five innings per week until the tournament. Previously they had played on travel and showcase teams. It upset the parents of the players they replaced as starters. The team went to states for the first time in sixteen years.

Comment

• Originally posted by TouchemAll View Post
                              Just a kid who absolutely loves the game of baseball and works very hard at it. ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWixPKRWGiE
                              That music reminds me of:

http://youtu.be/PfoAIXjDt9E

Comment

• Looks like desperation when one of the YouTube clips are about working a walk. I was expecting 5 or 6 foul offs and a +10 pitch walk. Also noticed that his dad talks too much. I keep my mouth closed when my kids are at bat.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X