Baseball and Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball and Golf

I am fortunate to have a very good group of 11U boys. One of my top players started struggling about about 4 weeks ago. Those ropes in the gap are now weak grounders. When he hits it hard, it's just one ground ball after another. Vitually nothing gets in the air. He's making contact, but nowhere near the hitter he was in early June. I've spoken with the parents and we are perplexed. Only one thing has changed from previous summers.....he started playing a lot of golf. Anyone with experince on this subject: Baseball swing and golf swing?

Appreciate any comments.
    "Smith corks it into right, down the line. It may go...........Go crazy folks! Go crazy! Jack Buck

Originally posted by JRH11 View Post
    I am fortunate to have a very good group of 11U boys. One of my top players started struggling about about 4 weeks ago. Those ropes in the gap are now weak grounders. When he hits it hard, it's just one ground ball after another. Vitually nothing gets in the air. He's making contact, but nowhere near the hitter he was in early June. I've spoken with the parents and we are perplexed. Only one thing has changed from previous summers.....he started playing a lot of golf. Anyone with experince on this subject: Baseball swing and golf swing?

Appreciate any comments.
    No experience but markmcgwire is a very good golfer. Didn't hurt his baseball swing a lot.

with kids it can hurt since they could adopt the long arc and vertical swing plane. you just have to make sure they don't mix the two up.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
      No experience but markmcgwire is a very good golfer. Didn't hurt his baseball swing a lot.

with kids it can hurt since they could adopt the long arc and vertical swing plane. you just have to make sure they don't mix the two up.
      I'm not sure how anyone can use a MLB with HOF credentials to compare against an 11U player. The skill levels are too disparate. At the youth level I've seen kids take up golf and really screw up their baseball swings. It takes a lot of reps to excel at both before the golf swing doesn't impact the baseball swing.

Comment

There are a couple of ways golf could screw him up for baseball. If he really is playing a lot of golf, and walking while carrying his bag, it may very well be affecting his “stamina” for other physical activities. But my guess is, he’s found something else he’s more interested in devoting his mental and physical focus on at the moment.

I wouldn’t worry a lick about it. He’s a kid and is having fun experimenting with the different things life has to offer.
        The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Comment

We would need to know their chronological age first. Then we need to know if they are pronating their golf swing. :clowning:
          efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Although there are a lot of similarities in the games, the technique particulars are different. Sure, golf could be impacting his swing negatively if he's using his golf swing rather than his baseball swing. The only way to tell for sure would be video, taken before and after. Or take video now and figure out why he's hitting so many grounders. There could be lots of reasons for the grounders, golf being only one reason. Lots of guys who play baseball only go into slumps.

As others have said, for young kids don't worry about it. Playing multiple sports is good for their baseball games in the long term.

-JJA
            The outcome of our children is infinitely more important than the outcome of any game they will ever play

Comment

What helped a son of a golf pro was to take extra hitting practice to compensate. He swung under the baseball once his golf season began. I noticed a former Div 3 ballplayer that I coached gave up baseball and is now playing in a summer golf league.

If they are also playing travel lacrosse or soccer in the early summer you might see a drop off in energy or enthousiasm.
              "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
              "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by JRH11 View Post

Appreciate any comments.
                My sons did both and never had an issue...
                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                  My sons did both and never had an issue...
                  IMHO, a golf swing should actually compliment a good baseball swing.

Golf essentially capitalizes on a "no step" effective hip coil and rear pivot, while "turning the gold club" (tip and rip) with max force and suddenness that you'd want to emulate with a baseball swing.

On a personal note, I have a very beautiful "opposite field" golf swing .... unfortunately for me that means a usually playing a fairway over. I've hit so many doubles off the monster (on a golf course), that I've lost count ... and golf balls.

Comment

My 6 year old first started up with golf last fall. So far, no negative impacts on the baseball swing. It did, however, take a bit of time to break him of the habit of wanting to stride into the golf shot and make sure he keeps both hands on the club during the follow through. I agree with Jake and Circle Change - don't think an athletic kid will have any major issues mixing the two.

Comment

I'm no hitting guru at all but the major difference to me is that a golf swing starts with the hands, as opposed to hips first with baseball. After reading up on swing mechanics, and then playing a couple rounds, my swing was horrible (thanks BBF!). Once I realized I was starting my hips before my hands everything went back to normal, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Mur5 View Post
                        I'm no hitting guru at all but the major difference to me is that a golf swing starts with the hands, as opposed to hips first with baseball. After reading up on swing mechanics, and then playing a couple rounds, my swing was horrible (thanks BBF!). Once I realized I was starting my hips before my hands everything went back to normal, haha.
                        A good start to the golf downswing, with the legs and hips, will keep the club in plane and on the correct inside swing path.

Read more at Suite101: Start Golf Downswing with Legs, Hips, Swing Tips: Turn Left Hip and Drive Right Leg on Downswing to Keep Club Inside | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/start-go...#ixzz207qR4KBN
                        Sounds like the hips lead the hands to me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                          Sounds like the hips lead the hands to me.
                          Yeah I guess there is early hip action, but not like in a baseball swing where you want to get your hips square before your hands start. Like I said, I'm no swing expert in either sport, just a student. That was just my experience.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd worry much about the golf swing effecting the baseball swing. Like scorekeeper said, more likely the golf addiction takes time, interest, and intensity from baseball. Not sure that's necessarily a bad thing though either in moderation.

I think you'd have to play A LOT of golf to start undoing the baseball swing. There's enough similarities, especially for a young player, that up until that point of golf dominating their sports mix it probably is about 95% positive playing golf. Controlling wrist roll, discipline in body control, focus, tempo, visualizing, steady head, staying connected, relaxing in an athletic position, etc. all cross over. I've found that some of what I have learned about hitting and pitching too - with all the reps and getting my son to understand concepts and execution - has made golf easier for him to learn. I can compare / contrast and that makes golf swings easier to understand. Which brings me to the point: How is it that a golf swing messes up a baseball swing, when the full golf swing off the tee doesn't mess up the short game? If you think about it - How many full golf swings do you take in a round? Maybe a third of the shots?
                            There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Does this mean I can use my flawless baseball swing as an excuse for my terrible golf game?!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X