Thoughts on age cutoffs for LL ad Babe Ruth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on age cutoffs for LL ad Babe Ruth

Just interested in some other opinions on the whole Birth date cutoff for LL or Babe Ruth. Should kids play in their grade or by their birth date? In High School it doesn't make a difference so what are some other clubs doing with this? We currently go by the LL rules for 12 and under and Babe Ruth for 13 to 15, but it has caused problems particularly with Travel Ball where kids in the upper grade with summer birthdays "play down" a grade. We are a smaller town with about 350 kids from T-Ball all the way up to 15U.

Of the kids I've seen play down at the 13U level, none of them are going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
      Of the kids I've seen play down at the 13U level, none of them are going anywhere.
      So that should hold true for all players playing down then. Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
        So that should hold true for all players playing down then. Good point.
        The OP asked for opinions. If you have one, feel free to share it. Otherwise your act is growing tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by chucker66 View Post
          Just interested in some other opinions on the whole Birth date cutoff for LL or Babe Ruth. Should kids play in their grade or by their birth date? In High School it doesn't make a difference so what are some other clubs doing with this? We currently go by the LL rules for 12 and under and Babe Ruth for 13 to 15, but it has caused problems particularly with Travel Ball where kids in the upper grade with summer birthdays "play down" a grade. We are a smaller town with about 350 kids from T-Ball all the way up to 15U.
          my son is a summer birthday (August) that plays with kids in a lower grade, however, some of those kids in the lower grade are actually older than him that were held back from starting school at the correct age. i prefer the age cutoff vs grade cutoff for the simple fact that a year difference at 8-12 is significantly more dramatic than a year difference at 14-18 is.

in football, they go by grade so my son who is young for his grade could be playing against kids that are almost 2 yrs older than him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
            The OP asked for opinions. If you have one, feel free to share it. Otherwise your act is growing tiresome.
            Uh oh. I see another rift between two forum members approaching.

Comment

There was a move to get the youth baseball organization date breaks to the same as USA Baseball, which is January 1. The youth organizations balked. Moving the date to May 1 was step one of a longer process. When the date change took place it was a mess. PONY wasn't going to have the same age break in every region. Imagine that at the national tournament. Now that more older kids are eligible for younger age groups, I believe organizations using 46/60 fields need to reevaluate the size of the field for twelve year olds where half are already thirteen by summer, for safety reasons.

The date changed occured when my son was turning thirteen. He could have stayed back and played another year of LL. First, he was already dominating LL. Second, he wanted to stay with the guys he came up through baseball. So technically, he was playing up a year even though we never thought of it that way. Once they master the 60/90 field they should play up as far a they can. My son played up two years starting at his fourteen year old baseball age where he turned fifteen in May.
              Last edited by tg643; 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Age cut off. My 12 year old has his birthday in the late fall. He is a pretty big kid and if I had held him back a grade it would be very unfair to the 7th graders.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X