Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• songtitle
    replied
    He's very interesting... he instinctively knows to start moving forward (vs. trying to 'balance') - this is good.

However, his stride is very short - with an abbreviated arm motion to match.

I would do 2 things:
    1. have him throw his hand straight down to the ground, so it will flip around and up, to a vertical forearm at foot plant
    2. add 6-12 inches to his stride (mark an x, and look at it after every few throws)
    3. try to keep his front knee even with his hip as long as he can (just like hitting).

Thats it.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtberry
    replied
    John Lanza,

“He's eight, almost nine, and he's about to enter his first season of kid pitch”
    More importantly what is his biological age? This should be known to assist you in increasing stress appropriately from year to year.

“His stride foot usually lands in a better spot”
    He intuitively lands in the correct spot, don’t worry he will soon be taught how to land in the traditional improper spot to allow the correct rotation he is now attaining to become a lesser rotation that will leave his leg back and allow him to also incorrectly bend at his back to recover.

“He lands a little to the left in this clip”
    This is how we are built to do it, this allows him to fully rotate so that when a batter contacts the ball both feet are on the ground and ready for him to react to ballistic line drive better. He does lock his land foot inwards traditionally instead of letting this ankle, knee and hip stress release by letting his foot turn with the rotation of his body.

“I have other thoughts as well”
    Me to, I want to see him pitch with non-injurious mechanics that produce the most efficient kinetic chain.

Watch how he brings the ball back by supinating his forearm (thumb heading up) with his hand ending under the ball correctly, don’t worry someone will get to him and change this to the injurious gateway pronated arm swing (thumb down) that will lead him to supinated forwards arm drive that will eat at his elbow. The only change here would be to smoothly take the ball down then back then up to driveline height (the height of the elbow during forwards ball drive) with his arm straight back with a little elbow bend. He’s almost there now, he should time his foot plant arrival with his driveline height arrival Bravo!
    Have him hold the ball with 2 fingers right next to each other, with 2 fingers acting as one.
    Have him stay taller and not break downwards with his body
    Have him attain a lighter leg lift so he can batter start his pendulum swing.
    Have him keep his arm straighter when he turns his elbow up to throw.
    Have him raise his elbow so the humerus travels right next to his ear and not flying outwards.
    Have him throw the ball straight over his head.
    Have him finish recover with his shoulders as in line with his Humerus as possible instead of down and across his chest.

Do all his training and teaching yourself!!!! Taking him to a highly regarded local traditional instructor will result in his mechanic attaining a destructor.

Leave a comment:

• LAball
    replied
    foot up , foot down , then forward. Not up and forward. ( Clay beat me by 1 min)
    I like he is pitching from teh stretch

Leave a comment:

• clayadams
    replied
    Originally posted by johnlanza View Post
    Here's my first attempt in posting a video clip to the forum.
    It's just one pitch and the video is slo-mo'ed to about 30% speed.

He's eight, almost nine, and he's about to enter his first season of kid pitch. His stride foot usually lands in a better spot. He lands a little to the left in this clip. I have other thoughts as well, but when I get a chance to edit a few shots together, I'll post a little more video.
    Looks like he's got a good arm! The first thing I'd do, personally, is work on his stride. His leg is "stepping" straight out like he's trying to clear a hurdle. It should drop down almost to the toe touching the ground and then slide out. You can tell he's really giving it a lot of effort though, great to see!

Leave a comment:

• johnlanza
    started a topic Short Pitching Clip

Short Pitching Clip

Here's my first attempt in posting a video clip to the forum.
    It's just one pitch and the video is slo-mo'ed to about 30% speed.

He's eight, almost nine, and he's about to enter his first season of kid pitch. His stride foot usually lands in a better spot. He lands a little to the left in this clip. I have other thoughts as well, but when I get a chance to edit a few shots together, I'll post a little more video.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X