Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice on my son's swing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by mr. potato head View Post
    FWIW, the one that serves the most purpose is the GIF of your older son. Not throwing stones but he appears to push the bat out front. This might not be indicative of all of his swings, but it is what I see in this particular GIF.

    Best of luck to you and your boys.
    Neither the loud ping of the bat nor the travel of the ball thought so.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
      Neither the loud ping of the bat nor the travel of the ball thought so.
      Results don't necessarily mean the mechanics are optimal.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mr. potato head View Post
        Results don't necessarily mean the mechanics are optimal.
        Really? Tell that to the best hitters in baseball. Batting is rarely optimal; it's what pitchers are paid to do: mess with the timing of the hitter. My son has been a leader on his squads for several years now, even with a car accident injury last year that put him out for 2 months.

        My younger son in Dodger blue was early on this at bat and he was still able to stay inside and hit it opposite field off the top of the fence for an RBI double.

        Dan Swing 2.jpg

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
          Really? Tell that to the best hitters in baseball. Batting is rarely optimal; it's what pitchers are paid to do: mess with the timing of the hitter. My son has been a leader on his squads for several years now, even with a car accident injury last year that put him out for 2 months.

          My younger son in Dodger blue was early on this at bat and he was still able to stay inside and hit it opposite field off the top of the fence for an RBI double.

          [ATTACH]111326[/ATTACH]
          Too be honest, I don't like where their hands are either, you should take this as constructive criticism. Youths swings are always a work in process.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
            Too be honest, I don't like where their hands are either, you should take this as constructive criticism. Youths swings are always a work in process.
            I actually like where his hands are and was happy to see that he didn't fold over on a pitch that was a lot slower than he expected.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
              Really? Tell that to the best hitters in baseball. Batting is rarely optimal; it's what pitchers are paid to do: mess with the timing of the hitter. My son has been a leader on his squads for several years now, even with a car accident injury last year that put him out for 2 months.

              My younger son in Dodger blue was early on this at bat and he was still able to stay inside and hit it opposite field off the top of the fence for an RBI double.

              [ATTACH]111326[/ATTACH]
              Ok, your kids are both studs and everyone should rush to try and duplicate. Is that what you are after? You have it all figured out so why not just ignore my initial statement. I said "FWIW". Sheeesh.


              Btw, IMO the push out front has nothing to do with the pitcher in your clip. His mechanics make him push out front. I think it is great that he is a leader and does well, just pointing that out.

              Comment


              • #22
                Results don't necessarily mean the mechanics are optimal.
                Really? Tell that to the best hitters in baseball. Batting is rarely optimal; it's what pitchers are paid to do: mess with the timing of the hitter. My son has been a leader on his squads for several years now, even with a car accident injury last year that put him out for 2 months.
                I agree with this, but much of this position, as it has been used here over the years, has to do with souped up bats and age-appropriate pitching. If he's using a -9, metal bat against average age-level pitching, the success is only applicable at what he does now and not the next level... Comparing success at the pros and in youth ball is apples and oranges.

                My younger son in Dodger blue was early on this at bat and he was still able to stay inside and hit it opposite field off the top of the fence for an RBI double.
                I don't particularly have a problem with his hands. He's ahead of the pitch, but every thing else points to good things.
                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
                  I actually like where his hands are and was happy to see that he didn't fold over on a pitch that was a lot slower than he expected.
                  That might be the case, but look at where your older sons hands are in the first and second pics? His hands are also way out in front of his swing. Just my two cents.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
                    That might be the case, but look at where your older sons hands are in the first and second pics? His hands are also way out in front of his swing. Just my two cents.
                    Like this guy?

                    DerekJeter.jpg

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                      Like this guy?

                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]111341[/ATTACH]
                      They are not the same, Derek is fighting off an inside pitch. This is Dereks approach in order for him to get the barrel of the bat on the ball and hit to the opposite side. I do not see that in the clip above. Maybe its the angles of the clips. I'm not here to debate, just my observations.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The pitch is inside on the kid in the picture too... Look at the catcher's mitt...
                        I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
                          They are not the same, Derek is fighting off an inside pitch. This is Dereks approach in order for him to get the barrel of the bat on the ball and hit to the opposite side. I do not see that in the clip above. Maybe its the angles of the clips. I'm not here to debate, just my observations.
                          Why would anyone with a "good" swing "fight off" an inside pitch off with their hands that far from their body? Just as an FYI, Baseball glove stated---
                          Originally posted by Baseball glove
                          My younger son in Dodger blue was early on this at bat and he was still able to stay inside and hit it opposite field off the top of the fence for an RBI double.
                          So I take it that it's OK for Jeter to have adjustability in his swing, but it's not OK for Baseball glove's boys?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                            Why would anyone with a "good" swing "fight off" an inside pitch off with their hands that far from their body? Just as an FYI, Baseball glove stated---
                            So I take it that it's OK for Jeter to have adjustability in his swing, but it's not OK for Baseball glove's boys?
                            Yes, I see that in the son wearing blue I have no problem with that. I was referring to the pics of the other son. His hands appear to be way out in front of his swing. Please read my post carefully.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
                              The pitch is inside on the kid in the picture too... Look at the catcher's mitt...

                              Yes, I agree, I was commenting on the other sons pic.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
                                The pitch is inside on the kid in the picture too... Look at the catcher's mitt...
                                Just re-read my earlier post. I was not clear as to which pic I was commenting on. Sorry

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X