No announcement yet.

Any advice on my son's swing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's OK, but I think the one you are commentating on is tough to gauge as well - in relation to the camera position...
    I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
      Too be honest, I don't like where their hands are either, you should take this as constructive criticism. Youths swings are always a work in process.
      Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
      Yes, I see that in the son wearing blue I have no problem with that. I was referring to the pics of the other son. His hands appear to be way out in front of his swing. Please read my post carefully.
      I did read your post carefully. You stated...
      Originally posted by Standballdad
      Too be honest, I don't like where their hands are either, you should take this as constructive criticism. Youths swings are always a work in process.
      "Their" is plural. You don't appear to like either of the boys' swings. Looking at the older son's pics that you are commenting on, I'd like you to explain where his back elbow is positioned as the bat is coming through the hitting zone.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
        I did read your post carefully. You stated... "Their" is plural. You don't appear to like either of the boys' swings. Looking at the older son's pics that you are commenting on, I'd like you to explain where his back elbow is positioned as the bat is coming through the hitting zone.
        Not talking about his back elbow. His elbow is in a good position. Lets just call it a day. If you like where the hands are great.

Comment

10 Characters.
          Last edited by CircleChange11; 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. potato head View Post
            Results don't necessarily mean the mechanics are optimal.
            Absolutely. The best hitters (quite simply) have the highest level mechanics. Pushing works up to a point... just look at Batista before he changed his mechanics. Hit .300 at every level, except MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by olddog View Post
              That sounds right to me, but if he actually does it well, I don't know. We talked about getting up on his toe instead of squishing the bug. He has not been taught squishing the bug. I think it is a result of what is happening with his lower half.

So, I said somehow you need to get up on your toe or back foot off the ground. Well, I think that is more a result of something that happens earlier that he doesn't do. So his frustration at trying to get his back foot up was incredible. I know that part of the swing is a result of something earlier, I just thought if he could figure that out by feel it would be something he would understand. But he never did get the sense of how he was to get to that end result.
              I wouldn't say it's an absolute to get to the toe. The toe will do what it has to. The back leg's action is far more important. I can drag up clips of Bonds not getting to the toe, if you're interested.

The foot is a reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                I agree with this, but much of this position, as it has been used here over the years, has to do with souped up bats and age-appropriate pitching. If he's using a -9, metal bat against average age-level pitching, the success is only applicable at what he does now and not the next level... Comparing success at the pros and in youth ball is apples and oranges.

I don't particularly have a problem with his hands. He's ahead of the pitch, but every thing else points to good things.
                He swinging a drop 5 32-27. The league does not allow a drop 3 for 12u. He swings an Easton XL3 31-28 and a Mizuno 32 inch maple for batting practice.

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                  I can drag up clips of Bonds not getting to the toe, if you're interested.
                  I'm interested.
                  efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

I wouldn't say it's an absolute to get to the toe. The toe will do what it has to. The back leg's action is far more important. I can drag up clips of Bonds not getting to the toe, if you're interested.

The foot is a reaction.
                    No need to drag up the clips of Bonds. I have seen some of them myself. I do appreciate the offer and your emphasis on the leg rather than the toe. I do understand that the foot is a reaction, just not sure on how to explain it to him so he understands.

I took him down to the field again today. He hit well again, not rotationally well, as I understand it, but in a way that he felt comfortable. This week is his summer team's last big tournament and I would rather he be confident and comfortable with his swing. I will work on making the changes for this fall when he plays on a team in a much more relaxed atmosphere.

He will play in a local league that plays 3 nights a week, where there will be no pressure. It is a league for all the county high school kids to play together before they try to beat the snot out of each in the high school season. He liked it last year and is looking forward to it again. It's kind of like an all star atmosphere in the dug out the way they bring together
                    players from all the different schools to compete together instead of against each other. The level of competition is not the greatest, but it is good enough to be meaningful.

Comment

The foot is a reaction.
                      Getting up on the toe is the result of proper weight transfer... Can we agree weight should go forward? - or do you feel spinning/staying/rotating on the back foot is preferable?
                      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                        Getting up on the toe is the result of proper weight transfer... Can we agree weight should go forward? - or do you feel spinning/staying/rotating on the back foot is preferable?
                        There needs to be a transfer, without a doubt. Weight needs to go forward. Getting up on the toe can be a sign of proper weight transfer, but it isn't a sign of proper lower body action.

Comment

There needs to be a transfer, without a doubt. Weight needs to go forward. Getting up on the toe can be a sign of proper weight transfer, but it isn't a sign of proper lower body action.
                          In and of itself - I agree..
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X