Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports
    replied
    Jake's hands need to stay close to his back shoulder as he attacks the ball to ensure he is staying inside and behind the ball. Here is a writing explaining this. "How to stay behind the ball"

Also you can view his swing side-by-side next to pros for free at the same place, MotionSportsLab.com.

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• LAball
    replied
    The front elbow bent is unnatural, forced. Wrist hinge happens way too early, almost like it initiates the swing

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas
    replied
    That last one right there, that is the front leg action I am talking about.

And I am not saying they need to be opening it wide, than can stride to open (Albert Belle, Magglio etc.) or not but the main thing I see is a slight turning outward of the leg (from the upper leg) can go a long way towards not using the front leg in such a way that it blocks things. See Bonds here you've probably all seen this clip over the years and look at where the leg meets the hip, I feel an ever so slight external rotation setup in that front leg. Not drastic but a good setup. With nothing blocking long before Bonds even attacks the baseball, the back leg has already gotten sat (see the rear knee down and in before the hands are even ready to launch).

BBonds19900710PIT_FlyoutRF_FView.gif

The other cheat we did was a Nelson Cruz type of setup (kid from our league Dante Bichette Jr. was using it also) where we curved in the back foot, while the hip coil is pulled around, from a feel perspective. I feel like if you cheat the back foot a little (or a lot whatever works), and try to stay back with the weight feeling on top of the back leg as the back leg drives forward a little good things happen.... as long as the pelvis doesn't get turned towards the 2B defender (meaning RH hitter) too much that the back leg will get "sat" much like you see in a pitcher, and that lowering of the center of gravity is when you see that leg start to turn. Hip slide of course causes your weight to move out past your back leg, it's as if you have slid away from the load, and so you end up getting to the front side and having to pull the swing around via the front hip. Much better for the front hip to have started clearing so that by the time the foot gets down the back leg is turning.

Now from last winter when the kid was learning it, we tried adding a little momentum here on the left but the back leg never fired or "won" he shifted his weight off the leg (with the hips) and had to pull it through from the front side. When we cheated the back foot a little and figured out that your rear leg must drive as a unit, rather than sliding your hips the difference was huge. On the right how see how much more effortless it seems. Also now, notice the body gets naturally tilted. In the old clip the back knee is stuck behind as if it's stuck not moving in the same position over the foot. That is sliding the hips vs. using the leg to create any forward momentum.

steven_1230vsfeb11.gif

Leave a comment:

• azmatsfan
    replied
    Hey, I found another video from May. This swing looks like the best of the three in my opinion. If I can get him back to here, then I'll work on his hand path.
    Last edited by azmatsfan; 07-26-2012, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• arekay
    replied
    if he would coil instead of shifting as he unweights his front leg you'd see things "clicking" into place and a lot of the identified issues -- including the shift-then-swing, out-front push, concerns about the hand cock -- would begin to work themselves out rather naturally, I think....

and yes that's my first post from a long-time lurker : >

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by azmatsfan View Post
    Nope. Nothing contrived about the hand cocking. In fact we've talked about a smooth slow load. We haven't worked on his swing in a while because he's been playing and hitting really well. I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy during the season. Now that it's off season we can work on some things. As you can see from the differences in his swing from December to now that he plays around with his own swing a lot. He'll go 5 for 5 then say, "I think I'm going to change my stance and stride." I think he does it just to drive me nuts.
    Definitely. If he's hitting well with that hand cocking then obviously he is doing the right thing. Great to hear he works on his own swing a lot. That's the way to do it. Granted, there could be over tinkering but a lot of kids are just oblivious. "What am I doing wrong coach? Help me coach?"

Leave a comment:

• azmatsfan
    replied
    Originally posted by omg View Post
    Again, needs to be more relaxed and smooth with that initial hand cocking. Contrived. Just like the back leg. Over coached?
    Nope. Nothing contrived about the hand cocking. In fact we've talked about a smooth slow load. We haven't worked on his swing in a while because he's been playing and hitting really well. I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy during the season. Now that it's off season we can work on some things. As you can see from the differences in his swing from December to now that he plays around with his own swing a lot. He'll go 5 for 5 then say, "I think I'm going to change my stance and stride." I think he does it just to drive me nuts.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Here's a swing from December when we were working on some things. I think it looks better than what he's doing now. He still had issues with the lead arm/hand path, but his front side looked better and he wasn't rotating at his trunk when he loaded.

Again, needs to be more relaxed and smooth with that initial hand cocking. Contrived. Just like the back leg. Over coached?

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
    Nice... It does look like the kid is really trying to lift the ball compared to the pros... In comparison, now that you look at it, it almost looks like a golf-swing finish...? No?
    That's what I see and I attribute it to over doing the back leg drive.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Here's a swing from December when we were working on some things. I think it looks better than what he's doing now. He still had issues with the lead arm/hand path, but his front side looked better and he wasn't rotating at his trunk when he loaded.

Still had the "shift then swing" issue.

Leave a comment:

• azmatsfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• azmatsfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    Azmats one thing that will give you a big bang for the buck is to work a little bit on the front leg.

It took me a long time to see this for some reason, heck I can remember over 5 almost 6 years ago when my oldest was 12, Lclifton pointing something out to me. And back then it didn't really make a lot of sense to me, but it was something we worked very hard on this winter. Now my kid isn't a superstar, probably a JUCO or if he's lucky a low-level D1 type kid we'll see, but the improvement in fixing this really helped. I love to coin an occasional term and since I am big on "rear leg winning" meaning I want the back leg to be the first thing that turns, the setup your son is which is exactly what my kid did was what I called RLWI or "Rear Leg Winning Inhibitor". The good news is that you don't have to believe in what I teach, however to see some benefit.

So let me explain. Your kid's front leg is jagged, that is there is a pinching inward in the knee whereas the foot stays out creating a sort of look where his upper thigh down to the knee is not that far apart (and for good reason since it's attached at both ends) and then from the knee to the foot that lower leg is sticking out away almost unnaturually. Compare to Jeff Kent or almost any pro-hitter. You will see the front foot is much closer to the knee spatially speaking. There isn't any kind of reaching out with a lot of hitters. Look at bonds or Manny and see how the front foot is not angled so far out away from the knee.

Now what I saw in this late last winter and into spring was that there was a point in time where knee and foot established a more balanced look (like Kent). That is the knee was now starting to move out a little as the body is. Finally at the point that the knee was more balanced over the foot, the rear leg started to fire. And compared to an elite hitter this getting to the more nuetral was happening very late in the process. However once he was more nuetral the back leg started to win. So the solution was of course, do not do anything that caused the pelvis to stay closed off. As a matter of fact, I told the kid to slightly turn out the lead leg to make sure it's not blocking. That setup keeps the pelvis completely closed off. You want to see the pelvis starting to open a little during the shift.
    We're planning to spend a lot of time on the front leg as you suggested, but this post helps a lot in describing how we should attack it. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Bolts-Baseball
    replied
    Originally posted by NoonTime View Post

Nice... It does look like the kid is really trying to lift the ball compared to the pros... In comparison, now that you look at it, it almost looks like a golf-swing finish...? No?

Leave a comment:

• NoonTime
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas
    replied
    Azmats one thing that will give you a big bang for the buck is to work a little bit on the front leg.

It took me a long time to see this for some reason, heck I can remember over 5 almost 6 years ago when my oldest was 12, Lclifton pointing something out to me. And back then it didn't really make a lot of sense to me, but it was something we worked very hard on this winter. Now my kid isn't a superstar, probably a JUCO or if he's lucky a low-level D1 type kid we'll see, but the improvement in fixing this really helped. I love to coin an occasional term and since I am big on "rear leg winning" meaning I want the back leg to be the first thing that turns, the setup your son is which is exactly what my kid did was what I called RLWI or "Rear Leg Winning Inhibitor". The good news is that you don't have to believe in what I teach, however to see some benefit.

So let me explain. Your kid's front leg is jagged, that is there is a pinching inward in the knee whereas the foot stays out creating a sort of look where his upper thigh down to the knee is not that far apart (and for good reason since it's attached at both ends) and then from the knee to the foot that lower leg is sticking out away almost unnaturually. Compare to Jeff Kent or almost any pro-hitter. You will see the front foot is much closer to the knee spatially speaking. There isn't any kind of reaching out with a lot of hitters. Look at bonds or Manny and see how the front foot is not angled so far out away from the knee.

Now what I saw in this late last winter and into spring was that there was a point in time where knee and foot established a more balanced look (like Kent). That is the knee was now starting to move out a little as the body is. Finally at the point that the knee was more balanced over the foot, the rear leg started to fire. And compared to an elite hitter this getting to the more nuetral was happening very late in the process. However once he was more nuetral the back leg started to win. So the solution was of course, do not do anything that caused the pelvis to stay closed off. As a matter of fact, I told the kid to slightly turn out the lead leg to make sure it's not blocking. That setup keeps the pelvis completely closed off. You want to see the pelvis starting to open a little during the shift.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X