Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Would you Invest?

Hi, newbie here.

My son has played travel baseball for the past 3 yrs with a decent team. He'll be playing 11U next year. He'll be in the 6th grade this fall and I like to get him ready for high school ball in 2 yrs. The coach on his current travel team is a great guy but he's more of dad coach. He's a good coach but I dont think he can develop my son further. I guess I'm looking for a coach that could really take him to the high school level. Now there is a 11U team that my son will try out for. The fee is $2500 if he makes the team but that fee also includes unlimited training starting in Sep to June of next year. The team is Team Fastball and the head coach is Mike Ryan from www.fastballusa.com

His current fee on his travel is $500 and selling some raffle tickets. So this would be a huge jump in price. I'm leaning on the Fastball team but wanted your thoughts. Would you?

Thanks

No offense, but that's a tremendous amount of money to spend on 2 youth baseball seasons...

Save your money and spend it when he gets to the high school/collegiate sized field... When it counts.

Very little will be gained on the youth-sized field...

Good luck.
    I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

you could keep him on his current team and get some private instruction and STILL probably be less expensive than that team.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
        No offense, but that's a tremendous amount of money to spend on 2 youth baseball seasons...

Save your money and spend it when he gets to the high school/collegiate sized field... When it counts.

Very little will be gained on the youth-sized field...

Good luck.
        but I want him to make the High School team. you dont think he's at the right age to get him ready?

Originally posted by TexAg View Post
        you could keep him on his current team and get some private instruction and STILL probably be less expensive than that team.
        yes that would be another option. My thinking is my son has a chance to play for great team and instructor that could really develop him. I know my son doesnt have a chance at the pro's or even college. High school, why not.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-rain View Post
          Hi, newbie here.

My son has played travel baseball for the past 3 yrs with a decent team. He'll be playing 11U next year. He'll be in the 6th grade this fall and I like to get him ready for high school ball in 2 yrs. The coach on his current travel team is a great guy but he's more of dad coach. He's a good coach but I dont think he can develop my son further. I guess I'm looking for a coach that could really take him to the high school level. Now there is a 11U team that my son will try out for. The fee is $2500 if he makes the team but that fee also includes unlimited training starting in Sep to June of next year. The team is Team Fastball and the head coach is Mike Ryan from www.fastballusa.com

His current fee on his travel is $500 and selling some raffle tickets. So this would be a huge jump in price. I'm leaning on the Fastball team but wanted your thoughts. Would you?

Thanks
          I say if you can afford it without putting undue financial burden on your family then go for it.

Just realize that $2,500 /yr plus travel expenses add up over the next 6 yrs. This could easily be a $30,000 investment over 6 yrs.

If you live in a larger city investigate other travel coaches and ask opinion of parents. You might find a travel team where the coach is a volunteer.

Comment

but I want him to make the High School team. you dont think he's at the right age to get him ready?
            Thousands of red flags just went up over the 1st half of that statement....if you don't understand why that is, say so and you will get many replies..and I hope you have thick skin.

As to his readiness, $2500 for an 11u kid is a whole bunch of money....are you just thinking you can spend enough to "make" him good enough or do you see skills and a love for the game and drive? He's played travel since he was 8 apparently..does he have solid fundementals, does he compete, is it fun? Well unless he's going up against some particularly special kids (In 4 years)...20 or so, he will be able to play at the hs level, unless he's burned out or so riddled with little nagging injury from over-use that he has to move on.

You can get him to some excellent clinics and camps for a tenth of the money. Is the current situation one in which you feel your son not getting enough exposure? Because if he can just stay involved in solid competitive ball with a reasonable amount of games then he will be in great shape to get there when it's time.
            Last edited by jdfromfla; 08-03-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Bolts-Baseball; 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Here is complete honesty...

In my experience, very little to nothing your kid will do on the small youth field will matter when transferring to the high school/college field. If he's got a competitive nature and knows the game with proper offensive and defensive fundamentals, he will be fine... The few things that can be beneficial to a player that plays travel ball is getting the early experience of the routine of tournament play, or being coached early by a highly experienced coach (MLB, NCAA experience only - PERIOD) that can instill confidence... My son played on some of the highest ranked teams in the nation according to USSSA rankings and TravelBallSelect.com, it was a great experience, but in retrospect unnecessary, and had very little influence in the player he is today. In the end, there is NO replacement for talent, size, strength, reps, determination, commitment and passion. If he's good enough, THEY WILL probably find him, and when they do, HE WILL PLAY!!

This dude with the program you're looking to go to, looks like he's got some experience according to his bio... I'd wait until after his 12u season, when he goes up to the 'big-field"...

Just my opinion.
                Last edited by Bolts-Baseball; 08-03-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
                  I say if you can afford it without putting undue financial burden on your family then go for it.

Just realize that $2,500 /yr plus travel expenses add up over the next 6 yrs. This could easily be a $30,000 investment over 6 yrs.

If you live in a larger city investigate other travel coaches and ask opinion of parents. You might find a travel team where the coach is a volunteer.
                  I can afford it w/o that much burden. Sure I'll have to cut back on a few things but not too bad.

From talking to other dad's. They were pretty turned off by the price so I figure I asked the board.

Originally posted by jdfromfla View Post
                  Thousands of red flags just went up over the 1st half of that statement....if you don't understand why that is, say so and you will get many replies..and I hope you have thick skin.

As to his readiness, $2500 for an 11u kid is a whole bunch of money....are you just thinking you can spend enough to "make" him good enough or do you see skills and a love for the game and drive? He's played travel since he was 8 apparently..does he have solid fundementals, does he compete, is it fun? Well unless he's going up against some particularly special kids (In 4 years)...20 or so, he will be able to play at the hs level, unless he's burned out or so riddled with little nagging injury from over-use that he has to move on.

You can get him to some excellent clinics and camps for a tenth of the money. Is the current situation one in which you feel your son not getting enough exposure? Because if he can just stay involved in solid competitive ball with a reasonable amount of games then he will be in great shape to get there when it's time.
                  I dont understand so let please let me know, but go gentle on me.

he's a great hitter, coaches say he's one of the strongest hitters, defensive is average, pitching...he could use some work.

Clinics, camps, lessons all great but most in my son's experience. They teach differently. My thinking is find that one great coach and stick with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
                    Here is complete honesty...

In my experience, very little to nothing your kid will do on the small youth field will matter when transferring to the high school/college field. If he's got a competitive nature and knows the game with proper offensive and defensive fundamentals, he will be fine... The few things that can be beneficial to a player that plays travel ball is getting the early experience of the routine of tournament play, or being coached early by a highly experienced coach (MLB, NCAA experience only - PERIOD) that can instill confidence... My son played on some of the highest ranked teams in the nation according to USSSA rankings and TravelBallSelect.com, it was a great experience, but in retrospect unnecessary, and had very little influence in the player he is today. In the end, there is NO replacement for talent, size, strength, reps, determination, commitment and passion. If he's good enough, THEY WILL probably find him, and when they do, HE WILL PLAY!!

This dude with the program you're looking to go to, looks like he's got some experience according to his bio... I'd wait until after his 12u season, when he goes up to the 'big-field"...

Just my opinion.
                    Solid feedback. At the end of the day, I want my so to have a great experience, fun and to love the game. if I put him at fastball at his age. It might be more of a chore and the pressure might be too much to handle. Sometimes, I just need to lay off and just enjoy watching him play good or bad.

Comment

Well start with, where your son is in the statement? His wants and desires...I'm not here to attack, look at what you said...yes you want the best, we all want the best for our kids but it's his rodeo..he needs to make his way...can't buy his way into anything.
                      and I'm just saying the statement could be construed in that way and if you read through some posts here and on other sites you'll see it.
                      Learning from a diversity of sources isn't necessarily bad.

Well anyway it looks like you are sold on going for "the big guy" so best of luck and may your kids career always be a joy to him and you.

Comment

Originally posted by jdfromfla View Post
                        Well start with, where your son is in the statement? His wants and desires...I'm not here to attack, look at what you said...yes you want the best, we all want the best for our kids but it's his rodeo..he needs to make his way...can't buy his way into anything.
                        and I'm just saying the statement could be construed in that way and if you read through some posts here and on other sites you'll see it.
                        Learning from a diversity of sources isn't necessarily bad.

Well anyway it looks like you are sold on going for "the big guy" so best of luck and may your kids career always be a joy to him and you.
                        I'm really not sold. Try outs is this weekend. If he goes there then he'll miss a few others so I'm still on the fence. i'm trying to weigh the pros and cons.

I appreciate all the feedback. This site is great and I'm glad I've found it.

Comment

O Rain ... You can't buy talent. You can only cultivate it. A friend of mine's son played for The Arsenal in NJ. It's one of the premier 17/18U showcase programs in the Philadelphia area. Only four of the 13U players were still making the team at 16U. A lot of parents found out you can't buy talent.

One of my 13U players left our $500 travel team for a $2,500 per year program. Eventually he was on their 17/18U C team. The C team. The 'if you're stupid enough to spend money on your mediocre kid" C team. The kid is at a mediocre D3 program almost any high school starter could make. He got on the field for one game.

My son played for me through age fourteen, playing 16U. Our team was $500. The coaches were four former college players (two played pro). At fifteen and sixteen I paid the $2,500 to have my team play for a college showcase team. That cost included trips to GA and FL from the northeast. The best benefit were the college contacts the program has. Money was never an issue. I wasn't going to throw it away. Teams never cost more than $500 from 13U-16U. From 9U to 12U it ranged from $125 to $250

Stay with the $500 team and spend some extra money on needed instruction. Save the money for showcase ball IF your son develops that far. At 11U you shouldn't be thinking about high school ball. You should be thinking about fun, learning fndamentals and building a passion for the game. The next step is learning to play on the 60/90 field at 13U, not high school ball.
                          Last edited by tg643; 08-03-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-rain View Post
                            but I want him to make the High School team. you dont think he's at the right age to get him ready??
                            As a former HS coach I would say NO! Let him have fun... If he's good enoughhe'll make it. Your goal is to make him a good 12 year old player... I think your goal is misguided.

yes that would be another option. My thinking is my son has a chance to play for great team and instructor that could really develop him. I know my son doesnt have a chance at the pro's or even college. High school, why not.
                            How do you know what he'll be when he's 18? He may play in the pros or he may want to dance. Thepoint is make the journey fun and quit looking at the destination... Take it a year at a time.
                            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

From the site...: I have no doubt that everyone of our students can accomplish throwing & hitting a baseball 90MPH or even more. No Doubt!

He's wrong. Period.

You can't "teach" someone to throw 90 MPH who doesn't have the physical tools. You can't teach someone to hit 90 MPH who doesn't have the reflexes and eye hand coordination. I don't care who you are, or how good of a coach you think you are.

$2500 is a ton of money for pre-teen ball. It seems like a great way to underwrite a baseball facility...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X