X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolts-Baseball
    The Yankees Win!
    • Jul 2008

HieneMan: Sent you a private message as well...

1. Nice gesture… If you’re the manager, you play the kids wherever you and your coaches want. NO outside influence, regardless of who paid and/or how much they paid. They paid to be on the team ONLY.

2. Probably start out with 11-12... If you have 1 kid sitting on the bench all the time you have someone and his parents getting discouraged, if you have 3-4 you've got a fun dugout. Part-Time players never paid any team-fees for me. I did ask them for an occasional tournament fee tough ($25-$35 per tournament). They didn’t own the uniform or hats.

3. Unless you’re getting custom pants (Don’t), just get 2 dri-fit jerseys and 1-2 hats. Players are responsible to get matching socks, belt and pants.

4. Beg-A-Thon’s usually bring in the most money… Kids standing outside supermarkets or Wal-Marts actually rake in cash. None of the other crap we did brought in as much.

5. Yes, and no… If you aren’t easily influenced, can work with others, thick-skinned, experienced, then no, if you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above then you may be…

-Good luck, you'll need it.
    Last edited by Bolts-Baseball; 08-06-2012, 07:39 AM.
    I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

• HeinekenMan
      • May 2012

Thanks. One parent, who I THINK is looking out for my best interests, said today that he would rather just get started with some cheap uniforms and start playing games. He said that people will be more willing to cough off a fee for equipment and nicer uniforms once we are rolling along. I thought about what he said, and I see some wisdom in that. This will allow us to play games while do some fundraising to pay for equipment and uniforms.

So I am looking to enter a September tournament at Soldier's Creek Park. I have a whole team of kids who have pitching experience. Some are better than others. I will probably pitch some of the shakier guys in pool play games and save the better throwers for the bracket games.

Is jumping in like this okay? I was taking a more gradual approach with plans to enter our first tournament in late November. We may get our tails whipped. But one dad played for another team and says we're comparable and possibly more talented.

Comment

• clayadams
        • Oct 2011

Spend a month doing 3x a week practice and make sure you do some good team building exercises. Get the kids to gel and have fun. Then start playing some tournaments. You're going to loose a lot in the beginning to the well established teams, so make sure you keep the kids' spirits high. Focus on having fun and let the kids know when they do well. I'd highly suggest going through the positive coaching program! This can be either a really good experience for you and the kids, or it can become a nightmare.

Comment

• Bolts-Baseball
          The Yankees Win!
          • Jul 2008

Uniforms are a tremendous waste of money and time...

Just get 'home' and 'away' dri-fit, loose-fit, Poly-T-shirt. Do 1 or 2-color silk screen on them. I always splurged for 10" numbers on the back because they looked much better than small ones, and most of the time I got 2-color numbers for a pro-look. I also got them one-size up from what the parents ordered because kids grow, and you can use them the next season...

Mens:

Youth:

Get flex-Fit caps...
          Profile: Structured, Low Profile Material: Polyester Mesh Front, Sandwich Mesh Back Closure Type: FITTED Cap Sizes: S/M, M/L, L/XL Visor: Contrast Stitch, Black Anti-Glare Undervisor Discover the our top-selling Proflex Structured Low Crown hat. Featuring Performance ProTech Mesh Front Panels and a Sandwich Mesh Back,
          Last edited by Bolts-Baseball; 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM.
          I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

• tradosaurus
            Team Veteran
            • May 2011

I think for league play uniforms should be bought as cheaply as possible.

However for travel ball I am a believer the kids looking sharp, especially when playing in big tournaments. I think a classy uniform brings an air of professionalism to the team.

This year our 13U travel team paid about $350.00 for 2 pairs pant, 2 jerseys, equipment bag, 2 under armor shirt with numbers, helmet.

This is our team at the world series in Colorado that came in 3rd.
            Photos from 13U \ Twin City Bulldogs - Professionally Photographed by YSPN.com © 2024

Comment

• azmatsfan
              Baseball Dad
              • Apr 2008

Just curious, did your rec league have lead-offs, pick-offs, and balks? I started a 9U team last fall of kids who had only played LL, and we had to spend a lot of time on pick-offs, holding runners on, pitching from the stretch, etc.

Comment

• AdamInNY
                • Apr 2010

Around here our rec league doesn't have leading. Stealing starts in the majors (LL). Most other local leagues and tournaments starting stealing in 8U and leading at 10U. At the 10U level there is usually a warning for a balk.

Comment

• HeinekenMan
                  • May 2012

I kind of like this shirt: http://www.baseballsavings.com/custo...OD_ID=44998964

I think it would look sharp with these pants: http://www.baseballsavings.com/custo...attrVal0/youth

And I'd think this hat with gray and navy would finish off the look: http://www.richardsoncap.com/capmodel/400s5

It sounds like one local tournament series has teams that are all mismatched. So we can do that for a few months while we raise uniform money.

Comment

• HeinekenMan
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by azmatsfan View Post
                    Just curious, did your rec league have lead-offs, pick-offs, and balks? I started a 9U team last fall of kids who had only played LL, and we had to spend a lot of time on pick-offs, holding runners on, pitching from the stretch, etc.
                    That's something that I thought about. Some tournaments are closed base, and some are open. We'll probably stick with closed base when possible. But we're definitely going to spend some practice time on holding runners and leading off. First, though, we'll work on keeping the other team's hitters off the bases.

Comment

• CircleChange11
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
                      Uniforms are a tremendous waste of money and time...

Just get 'home' and 'away' dri-fit, loose-fit, Poly-T-shirt. Do 1 or 2-color silk screen on them. I always splurged for 10" numbers on the back because they looked much better than small ones, and most of the time I got 2-color numbers for a pro-look. I also got them one-size up from what the parents ordered because kids grow, and you can use them the next season...

Mens:

Youth:

Get flex-Fit caps...
                      http://www.sport-smart.com/Baseball-...seball-Cap.asp
                      Agree.

Too many teams are focused on how they look versus rather they play (at least that's the impression I get from how they look versus how good they are).

With the advancements in uniforms, it's not difficult to look good on a budget. Do you really need tribal piping on your pants?

For some teams that are in the competitive recruiting game, the attractiveness of the uniforms may be an advantage due to the age group we're dealing with.

Comment

• CircleChange11
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
                        That's something that I thought about. Some tournaments are closed base, and some are open. We'll probably stick with closed base when possible. But we're definitely going to spend some practice time on holding runners and leading off. First, though, we'll work on keeping the other team's hitters off the bases.
                        Very few tournaments are closed. I cannot recall a single travel tournament that we played in the had closed bases.

At the 10U level, even with a fast pitcher and good catcher you'll struggle to throw guys out due to the short length of the bases + leadoffs. This was the most disappointing aspect of the venture for me. Pitcher does a good job holding the runner, throws a good pitch, catcher receives and releases quickly and accurately, runner still safe by quite a bit. My son is a slow runner. He was 8 for 8 in SB when we didn't use a courtesy runner for him.

Most important thing for the pitcher/catcher is to keep pitches out of the dirt and over the head, and to block pitches with runner on 3rd.

In LLAS, this was one of the biggest advantages we had over other teams. We did not allow a single run on a passed ball or wild pitch over 12 games.

Comment

• HeinekenMan
                          • May 2012

I thought I remembered seeing several that were closed, but I'm not seeing them now. Of course, my son is jumping from 8U this spring to 10U. There were probably lots of closed base tournaments for 8U.

Comment

• clayadams
                            • Oct 2011

For us at 9u they have lead off to 10ft, but you can't steal until the ball has crossed the plate. At 10u they go wide open. I'm with Circle... open bases are too much IMO. I'm quite fine with the way it is in 9u. Nothing you can do about it though.

Comment

• Standballdad
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
                              Very few tournaments are closed. I cannot recall a single travel tournament that we played in the had closed bases.

At the 10U level, even with a fast pitcher and good catcher you'll struggle to throw guys out due to the short length of the bases + leadoffs. This was the most disappointing aspect of the venture for me. Pitcher does a good job holding the runner, throws a good pitch, catcher receives and releases quickly and accurately, runner still safe by quite a bit. My son is a slow runner. He was 8 for 8 in SB when we didn't use a courtesy runner for him.

Most important thing for the pitcher/catcher is to keep pitches out of the dirt and over the head, and to block pitches with runner on 3rd.

In LLAS, this was one of the biggest advantages we had over other teams. We did not allow a single run on a passed ball or wild pitch over 12 games.
                              100% correct, at this level its a track meet. The key here is to get your share of stolen bases to even things out.

Comment

• AdamInNY
                                • Apr 2010

Not to go completely OT, but my son's 8U team has played in a mix this season. None fully open, but some stealing in all. It has varied, but in all cases no stealing home. The others have been:

1) steal 2nd and 3rd
                                2) steal 2nd and 3rd, limit 3 SBs an inning (double steal counts as 2)
                                3) Can only steal 3rd.

I really like limiting the number of steals.

In regards to uniforms. I'd try to limit it to 2.

IMO 1 uniform is a pain when you have games on consecutive days. You have to wash it that day.

One of my kids has 3 uniforms; 3 separate shirts and pants and 2 hats. I have *never* seen a game where every player was wearing the exact same uniform, someone is always off.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X