• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mudvnine
    replied
    Originally posted by lancers View Post
    I'm reviewing some old clips now.

These were from the beginning of the year right before the season started. I remember I got bad shoulder during that time so I believe all these were against under hand toss.

Based on my notes we were working on the scap loading etc.

This is more of what I was talking about when I said.....
    Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
    I know he knows how to do it, I've seen him do it before, just needs to get back to that, and I think it will take care of his hand situation....as that was never really a "problem" with him before.
    Much better.....

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    I'm reviewing some old clips now.

These were from the beginning of the year right before the season started. I remember I got bad shoulder during that time so I believe all these were against under hand toss.

Based on my notes we were working on the scap loading etc.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    replied
    In the clip above, he is not coiling as he moves forward.
    Last edited by songtitle; 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM. Reason: which clip

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    I am not terribly comfortable with the way the bottom leg turns out so early (watch his knee). Turns out I guess he's attempting to coil there? Not saying it's an absolute but could be a sign he's off.

This is the one that I wanted to show (the bottom clip from above). So when Bonds is pronating the bottom forearm as the hands raise Little Lancer's hands are moving away from the shoulder. Stare at Bonds top hand before the swing in the clips posted here. Mostly because he's loading via the shoulders like Mud said. See how they come out from behind the corner to swing? Losing the "around" right there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112812[/ATTACH]

Yes that's another thing he needs to work on.

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas
    replied
    I am not terribly comfortable with the way the bottom leg turns out so early (watch his knee). Turns out I guess he's attempting to coil there? Not saying it's an absolute but could be a sign he's off.

This is the one that I wanted to show (the bottom clip from above). So when Bonds is pronating the bottom forearm as the hands raise Little Lancer's hands are moving away from the shoulder. Stare at Bonds top hand before the swing in the clips posted here. Mostly because he's loading via the shoulders like Mud said. See how they come out from behind the corner to swing? Losing the "around" right there.

lancer2.gif

Leave a comment:

• mudvnine
    replied
    I made gif out of two of the swings in that clip. One with weight going forward more than the others.

and

During the whole session I didn't give any instructions. Do you see him doing some adjustments himself?

I double checked again. The shift forward one is actually the latter swing. Wondering what kind of mindset is causing that.
    I still see him loading with his shoulders in both of these clips, instead of "around".....IOWs more "all back/all forward", instead of using "separation" to obtain his "stretch".

I know he knows how to do it, I've seen him do it before, just needs to get back to that, and I think it will take care of his hand situation....as that was never really a "problem" with him before.

JMO,
    mud -

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    replied
    They both look identical to me.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    One thing I would fix in the lower half is that he's shifting to the front side, the back leg is not really "winning". I feel that the weight has shifted such that it's not over top of the femur (or at least slightly in front of it). He's sliding his hips off of any kind of coiled stretch and getting to the front side too soon. Honestly I'd work on this over all else. With Bonds as a goal:
    I made gif out of two of the swings in that clip. One with weight going forward more than the others.

and

During the whole session I didn't give any instructions. Do you see him doing some adjustments himself?

I double checked again. The shift forward one is actually the latter swing. Wondering what kind of mindset is causing that.
    Last edited by lancers; 08-11-2012, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    replied
    Of course taking steroids helps the strength aspect and reactionary time.

I'm not sure using Bonds would be a good example for kids.

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas
    replied
    The degree to which his shoulders turn are a problem in the sense that it's ok if there is a little counter rotation but he gets there right away. If Bonds is a goal look at this clip:

Bondsoverhead_small.gif

Now some of the advice here is correct there is arm bar and counter rotation. But you'd have to also understand that he is using the lead arm incorrectly because before he swings he's literally pushing the hands away from the shoulder by barring the arm. Listen I've been there kids feel very powerful doing that. You want to resist loading up that lead armpit. Bonds bottom hand forearm, supinates, and then pronates. It does not contribute to the load, or push the hands away from the shoulder.

Bonds17.gif

Lastly in these last clips there isn't any chicken winging that I see. One thing I would fix in the lower half is that he's shifting to the front side, the back leg is not really "winning". I feel that the weight has shifted such that it's not over top of the femur (or at least slightly in front of it). He's sliding his hips off of any kind of coiled stretch and getting to the front side too soon. Honestly I'd work on this over all else. With Bonds as a goal:

Bonds18.gif

Now you've seen my younger son over the years online and this is something he's always struggled with. He really likes that stride out and he often strides right off the fight in the back hip between the leg and rearward pulling hip. Little Lancer to me is doing that here. You can't just look at the back leg and see it turning ahead of a still loaded hip and declare the back leg has won. If his weight is shifting forward too much he loses that spring, loses that corner. One thing I told my kid which he says is resonating but I haven't filmed yet we shall see...(he said for the first time he felt like he was swinging with his back). I made him kind of grab around the upper thigh area where the ball of femur is. I had him pigeon toe (weight to inside) the back foot, and told him now pull your hip around that ball as far as it goes. Then I had him continue to keep his hand there and said to stride forward a little but don't give up the low back, try to keep your weight over that ball of the femur. so in other words if you stride, largely you want to feel like you are striding with the femur. You go forward a few inches, the forward momentum is arrested by the resistance of the back, and the back leg wins. If you move your upper body weight off that part of the body, you'll shift to the front side and have to pull the swing through via the front hip. Naturally this is too slow and so the arms must take over. That's why I say get this part right. Because all the other little tips might be meaningless once the lower half is right.

Get up in that living room and try it yourself. I would ever so slightly externally rotate the front leg as a reminder to keep it relaxed so that you don't use the front leg or front shoulder to get loaded. Then while maintaining the back leg and not letting it externally rotate, simply figure out what you have to do to move that part of the leg forward without giving up the back hip. You won't get too far. Soon your leg will be winning, and winning which will contribute to tightening up the links. The soon the leg wins I doubt you have to even think about the scap it just takes care of itself.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by jbooth View Post
    He's moving his hands toward his rear side by turning his shoulders.

The shoulders should stay in place, and his hands should move in closer to his back armpit.

The hands and elbow unit should move, not the shoulders.

Watch how his shoulders stay put, but his hands move up and in.
    I need to work on his flexibility. During the USC camp, coach talked about how some Japanese players can use their shoulder blades to hold on a chop stick for 10 minutes. He's nowhere near that kind of scap range.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    replied
    I agree with what jbooth said.

I would say watching Bond's swing helps him to make some changes.
    He is arm-barring here. He must bring his hands near his shoulder/armpit at toe touch.

Leave a comment:

• jbooth
    replied
    Couldn't get on to the open field today. Had to put the camera inside the cage so this is really up and close, can barely fit him in.

I would say watching Bond's swing helps him to make some changes. We will work on more details later.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=SANY4592.mp4
    He's moving his hands toward his rear side by turning his shoulders.

The shoulders should stay in place, and his hands should move in closer to his back armpit.

The hands and elbow unit should move, not the shoulders.

Watch how his shoulders stay put, but his hands move up and in.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Couldn't get on to the open field today. Had to put the camera inside the cage so this is really up and close, can barely fit him in.

I would say watching Bond's swing helps him to make some changes. We will work on more details later.

Leave a comment:

• jbooth
    replied
    I plan to make him study this clip to see what he can do

That would be a good idea. Your son is close. Your son doesn't load his elbow and hands as Bonds does, and he doesn't seem to throw the top hand through as Bonds does.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X