Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both video's look identical to me.

Comment

CircleC and omg, it sounds like we agree for the most part. My thoughts are I don't want a kid getting all tied up inside because he NEEDS to get a hit or better not strike out. I would rather have them go up confident in what they have practiced and just try to put a mechanically good swing on a good pitch. I believe focusing on that vs the results, yields better results. IOW, results will happen. I am against coaches/parents offering much if any coaching while the hitter is in the box. That said, I don't have a problem with the occassional "hit one hard somewhere" as a way to incite a little desire in a kid, I just hate it when I hear mom yell to hit a HR for grandma or dad yelling to keep the elbow up, watch the ball hit the bat or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by new2thesport View Post
        Look at how big he is now!!! And.....he is still pounding the balls!!!!!
        Which is always nice to see!!! I remember when he was 70lbs and pounding the balls then!!
        Hi Bro, long time no see. Yeah he appears bigger comparing to 70 lbs. But still a lot smaller than his teammates

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
          Yeah, no kidding.....

Been back to In-N-Out "lancers"?

Righty doesn't look too bad (better in the SC clip).....has he laid off his LH swing for awhile? I've seen it better.

Short on time right now....we'll talk later.
          Went In-N-Out last night:o

Yes he only had 2 LH AB during the season as he wanted to focus on one side first. Fly out in both time. So he's pretty rusty.

Comment

Swing from yesterday morning as we were trying to give launch from max tip a final push

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lancers View Post
              Swing from yesterday morning as we were trying to give launch from max tip a final push

Is there a particular reason why his hands are so low?

Doesn't that physiologically limit the ability to stretch?

Is his back foot opened slightly?

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post

I don't think he's getting the scapula retracted in this swing. And (as you said), I think the hand set is limiting the "stretch".

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                  I don't think he's getting the scapula retracted in this swing. And (as you said), I think the hand set is limiting the "stretch".
                  I thought he was getting some stretch in the other clips because you can see his elbow move "back". BUt, now I'm not so sure.

But, holding the hands down low does really limit the stretch ... as anyone who has done cable rows knows. It's much easier to pull to the belly button than it is to pull to the chest (shorter ROM to the belly button, less stretch in a baseball swing).

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post

Yeah I'm not a fan of the hands position also. Taped it in the morning and left for work. In my pm to Enc I also expressed the same concern.

Here's a game swing 2 weeks ago in San Clemente(Hey Mud where were you:o) )

Attached Files
                    Last edited by lancers; 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Again people, lancers son is hitting the ball with authority and doing well.

Let's not fix something that isn't broke.

Comment

Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post

Trad, thanks for the concern:-) He's not reading it. Offseason is a good time to tinker a little bit. I just took him to the park and hack it. If the bigger field is not available we would just go on to the 275ft pony field to do a little HR derby. Although I told him a line drive hitting the fence is better than a fly ball HR. I'm trying to make him to think and study his own swing a little more. Just so that if something not working he knows how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                          I plan to make him study this clip to see what he can do

Comment

I genuinely appreciate the intent of the comments, but I don't view it as fixin something that broken.

It's about improving something that's already pretty good.

I, for one, when I coached HS got tired of youth coaches that taught the talented kids little to nothing because "why fix what ain't broken", so you get some kids that have poor mechanics that are used to "out-bugging" everyone else.

I have no doubt that lancers guy hits the ball well. I think we're simply asking if a mechanical aspect might be limiting the potential to hit even better.

I don't think anyone is saying "he needs a new swing".

I'm watching a JH pitcher right now dominate a game. His pitching stride is about 4-feet. He's about 6-feet and throwing hard with almost all arm. I can just imagine how much better he can throw with some mechanical changes. He's not broken but his mechanics will be a limiter someday. The longer it goes, the harder it will be to change.

Comment

Some techniques are 'fatal flaws' in HS, yet they work in youth ball - or slow pitching.

The quicker you fix fatal flaws, the better.

To me, the upside down shoulders are a fatal flaw in HSV with good pitching. The rest of his swing looks really good.

My son is a HS pitcher. Like most pitchers, he recognizes these fatal hitting flaws and takes advantage of them.
                              Last edited by songtitle; 08-11-2012, 02:19 PM.
                              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

You can hit the ball well with mediocre mechanics for awhile. When you get up to 90 MPH fastballs and guys who can change speeds very effectively, you'll stop hitting. Results are great, and I think everyone agrees with that. The Hanson Principle is the ultimate test.

However, you can't just look at video and say "That's what they're doing". You have to go out and test what you believe. And then you have to video it and say "Yes, that might be it" or "No, that can't be it". That's the ultimate way to know if you're correct, IMO.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X