Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball gLove
    replied
    During one summer high school game it was 112 at game time. Coaches for the Junior Olympic Squad were worried the kids would not be acclimated to Peoria, Az weather. In Az it was 115 to 117 during games. It cooled down to a more comfortable 105 degrees by 10 pm

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Back to school now. JV and Varsity players are required to take baseball PE. First couple months will be conditioning only.

Short BP on Sunday to stay in hitting shape.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
    I gotta admit that when I watch his swing at full speed there are aspects that I just don't like or do not seem ideal to me. I am willing to admit that maybe it's me that's the problem and maybe I just don't know poop from pudding.

But, when I watch it frame by frame (by clicking the right side of white circle on the youtube progress bar), the "steps" of the swing all look very good ... and the kid appears to have very, very quick hands ... which may allow him to get away with not stretching as much as perhaps I think he should. I don;t think he gets much stretch and/or coil, which is interesting because he's hitting balls on a line. I see his swing and think he could be blasting the ball even more than he is. I also don;t want to sit here and try and make myself sound like I'm an authority on the subject ... I'm not.

Anything I say is intended to be helpful. I'm not one of those guys that sees other people's kids doing well and needing to take them down a peg or two or make myself look good by pointing out flaws that aren't really there.

I think your son is a very interesting situation of separating "style" from "substance" and really looking at what aspects of the swing are effective.

IMO, the swings you posted from earlier in the year, when you noted you were working on the stretch, were the best swings in the thread ... but I don't see the same swing in the game footage. I don't want to say anything that's going to sound like it's disparaging or minimizing to your son, I just want to see him use more of the bigger muscles of his structure and be less "handsy" (for lack of better term). He does appear to have really fast hands.

No worry, I myself am also trying to understand those aspects too.

He once tried more conventional swings before such as this one when he was 13.

But he insisted that it is not as powerful as when he has a lot of hands movements.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by jbooth View Post

I can also understand that when you live in a low 80's environment,
    Our typical high is mid 70's. Now talk about spoiled.:balloon::balloon:

Leave a comment:

• CircleChange11
    replied
    Originally posted by lancers View Post
    He actually did pretty good for the tournament. Went 4 for 6 and 3 walks. Including
    I gotta admit that when I watch his swing at full speed there are aspects that I just don't like or do not seem ideal to me. I am willing to admit that maybe it's me that's the problem and maybe I just don't know poop from pudding.

But, when I watch it frame by frame (by clicking the right side of white circle on the youtube progress bar), the "steps" of the swing all look very good ... and the kid appears to have very, very quick hands ... which may allow him to get away with not stretching as much as perhaps I think he should. I don;t think he gets much stretch and/or coil, which is interesting because he's hitting balls on a line. I see his swing and think he could be blasting the ball even more than he is. I also don;t want to sit here and try and make myself sound like I'm an authority on the subject ... I'm not.

Anything I say is intended to be helpful. I'm not one of those guys that sees other people's kids doing well and needing to take them down a peg or two or make myself look good by pointing out flaws that aren't really there.

I think your son is a very interesting situation of separating "style" from "substance" and really looking at what aspects of the swing are effective.

IMO, the swings you posted from earlier in the year, when you noted you were working on the stretch, were the best swings in the thread ... but I don't see the same swing in the game footage. I don't want to say anything that's going to sound like it's disparaging or minimizing to your son, I just want to see him use more of the bigger muscles of his structure and be less "handsy" (for lack of better term). He does appear to have really fast hands.

Leave a comment:

• jbooth
    replied
    We just played at Riverside for this weekend. 107 degree under the scorching sun. Man it's hot.

We didn't even get all the players sign up for this tournament and ended up playing with several borrowed guns.

In this morning's playoff, half of the players wanted to lose the game and go home. Coach said you guys are too spoiled by the nice weather.
    Don't get me wrong. Temps above 110 are NOT pleasant. We get used to 100 to 105, but when it gets above 110 it is brutal.

I can also understand that when you live in a low 80's environment, that it is tough to take a short stay in 100+. OTOH, we just go back from a trip to NorCal where it was 85 to 95 and that felt very nice to us after leaving a week of 112+.

Your son's swing is looking very good.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    He actually did pretty good for the tournament. Went 4 for 6 and 3 walks. Including

A double to the LCF

And a triple over the CF head

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by jbooth View Post
    Mid 80's hot?! Mid 80's is our overnight low. Last week we had a high of 117 with overnight low 93. Most days in August are 112 hi 85 lo.

Kids play tournaments in that weather every weekend.
    We just played at Riverside for this weekend. 107 degree under the scorching sun. Man it's hot.

We didn't even get all the players sign up for this tournament and ended up playing with several borrowed guns.

In this morning's playoff, half of the players wanted to lose the game and go home. Coach said you guys are too spoiled by the nice weather.

Leave a comment:

• jbooth
    replied
    Getting very hot the whole week. We are into the mid 80s today. Probably the hottest day this year. Finally got a chance to hit on the big field in the morning.
    Mid 80's hot?! Mid 80's is our overnight low. Last week we had a high of 117 with overnight low 93. Most days in August are 112 hi 85 lo.

Kids play tournaments in that weather every weekend.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by Sports View Post
    you guys can view and break down all these swings for free at MotionSportsLab.com. Really beneficial site to reveal needed adjustments in swings.
    Heed the rules of this site, stop linking us to your site. This is not a promotional environment.

Leave a comment:

• Sports
    replied
    you guys can view and break down all these swings for free at MotionSportsLab.com. Really beneficial site to reveal needed adjustments in swings.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Getting very hot the whole week. We are into the mid 80s today. Probably the hottest day this year. Finally got a chance to hit on the big field in the morning.

Trying to get more stretch.

This one is the undisputed longest shot he ever had in front toss bp

This might be the second

This one he hit a little under but still pretty long. Would be nice if he square it.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    A couple more

and

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    Nice work Lancer!
    Just came back from Aviara park. Poinsettia was occupied. And I have to cut short the bp, lost 6 balls into the canyon

This is one of the shot into it.

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas
    replied
    Nice work Lancer!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X