Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tournament Pitching Management

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    [QUOTE=tg643;2050572]I'm very against preteen tournaments where teams play more than two games in a day. I wasn't a big fan of it in 13-16U USSSA ball. When my son started playing showcase ball they never played more than two in a day. If two is enough for college prospects, college and pro players why is it good for little kids to play three or four in a day?

    If they are having a blast competing and you can take care of their health then who cares? I played AAU basketball growing up and no one complained about kids playing three games in a day. Or the times when you played pickup and got on the court and never lost. No parent was telling me to save my knees. Its good for kids to play games because they enjoy them..and get better by playing them. Dads who don't have the luxury of going to the field every day and working independently with a willing child..should still be able to get their kids playing games a lot if the kids want to play a lot. That doesn't mean you wear out their arms..but for kids playing a few games in a day..if they want to be there..isn't that big of an issue.
    Softball..soccer..volleyball...lacrosse..field hockey..tennis..basketball...all youth sports where tournaments will play more than one game a day.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by tg643 View Post
      I'm very against preteen tournaments where teams play more than two games in a day. I wasn't a big fan of it in 13-16U USSSA ball. When my son started playing showcase ball they never played more than two in a day. If two is enough for college prospects, college and pro players why is it good for little kids to play three or four in a day?
      And you only play more than two a day if you win..you could always go one and done Sunday! Then its barbecue time.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by tg643 View Post
        I'm very against preteen tournaments where teams play more than two games in a day. I wasn't a big fan of it in 13-16U USSSA ball. When my son started playing showcase ball they never played more than two in a day. If two is enough for college prospects, college and pro players why is it good for little kids to play three or four in a day?
        If you are a bad team you normally only play 1 game on Sunday. If you are a really good team you usually run rule someone in game 1, and then play two 5 inning games. 13-14 innings for an 8 team tournament isn't too bad. Most all of the big tournaments break Sunday's down into Platinum, Gold, and Silver brackets with 8 teams in each group.

        I looked back at our schedule this year. In 11 tournaments, we played three games in a day twice. The most we played in a tournament was 6 games over 3 days.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by d-mac View Post
          If you are a bad team you normally only play 1 game on Sunday. If you are a really good team you usually run rule someone in game 1, and then play two 5 inning games. 13-14 innings for an 8 team tournament isn't too bad. Most all of the big tournaments break Sunday's down into Platinum, Gold, and Silver brackets with 8 teams in each group.

          I looked back at our schedule this year. In 11 tournaments, we played three games in a day twice. The most we played in a tournament was 6 games over 3 days.
          In 13U to 16U USSSA we usually played two on Saturday and three or four on Sunday. In preteen tournaments we did the local community LL/CR invitational tournaments that played one Friday night, two Saturday, then elimination would be two Sunday and one Monday night.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by d-mac View Post
            If you are a bad team you normally only play 1 game on Sunday. If you are a really good team you usually run rule someone in game 1, and then play two 5 inning games. 13-14 innings for an 8 team tournament isn't too bad. Most all of the big tournaments break Sunday's down into Platinum, Gold, and Silver brackets with 8 teams in each group.

            I looked back at our schedule this year. In 11 tournaments, we played three games in a day twice. The most we played in a tournament was 6 games over 3 days.
            Played 14 tourneys in the spring..only five went more than four games in two days..that's the way it goes.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by tg643 View Post
              In 13U to 16U USSSA we usually played two on Saturday and three or four on Sunday. In preteen tournaments we did the local community LL/CR invitational tournaments that played one Friday night, two Saturday, then elimination would be two Sunday and one Monday night.
              I think things have changed quite a bit. Two years ago, I don't recall us playing in any USSSA tournaments that broke out into multiple Sunday brackets. This season, every USSSA tournament we played with more than 8 teams broke into multiple Sunday brackets.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by d-mac View Post
                I think things have changed quite a bit. Two years ago, I don't recall us playing in any USSSA tournaments that broke out into multiple Sunday brackets. This season, every USSSA tournament we played with more than 8 teams broke into multiple Sunday brackets.
                What age group..there are only a handful of double elim tourneys for usssa each year and they don't break into divisions..even the forty team major super nits are single elim. The elites and all state games are double..I know there is one in Mckinney tx which is double in October..but it doesn't count for anything.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by raptor View Post
                  And you only play more than two a day if you win..you could always go one and done Sunday! Then its barbecue time.
                  The three years we did USSSA tournaments we were a ranked team always in at least the semis.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by d-mac View Post
                    I think things have changed quite a bit. Two years ago, I don't recall us playing in any USSSA tournaments that broke out into multiple Sunday brackets. This season, every USSSA tournament we played with more than 8 teams broke into multiple Sunday brackets.
                    Our tournaments involved 24-32 teams. 12 or 16 would advance. We were almost always playing three or four on Sunday.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      [QUOTE=raptor;2050596]
                      Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                      I'm very against preteen tournaments where teams play more than two games in a day. I wasn't a big fan of it in 13-16U USSSA ball. When my son started playing showcase ball they never played more than two in a day. If two is enough for college prospects, college and pro players why is it good for little kids to play three or four in a day?

                      If they are having a blast competing and you can take care of their health then who cares? I played AAU basketball growing up and no one complained about kids playing three games in a day. Or the times when you played pickup and got on the court and never lost. No parent was telling me to save my knees. Its good for kids to play games because they enjoy them..and get better by playing them. Dads who don't have the luxury of going to the field every day and working independently with a willing child..should still be able to get their kids playing games a lot if the kids want to play a lot. That doesn't mean you wear out their arms..but for kids playing a few games in a day..if they want to be there..isn't that big of an issue.
                      Softball..soccer..volleyball...lacrosse..field hockey..tennis..basketball...all youth sports where tournaments will play more than one game a day.
                      There's a huge difference between playing organized sports and pickup ball. In pickup sports kids pack it in when they are tired or hurt. In organized sports they suck it up to please the adults. Looking back my son played too many organized sports games as a kid. When he had shoulder surgery for a seperated shoulder in the fall of his senior year, the surgeon said the wear and tear on his shoulder was probably the cause for the seperation (in addition to the fall). The wear and tear was not from pitching. it was from all the organized soccer, football, basketball and baseball he played as a kid. I played a lot of pickup sports as a kid in addition to playing three organized sports. But we packed it in for the day when we had enough. Our organized sports did not have excessive schedules. What looks like a bunch of fun you may come to realize after the fact there's more involved.

                      Add: As my kids were growing up they had physicals by a sports orthopedic specialist every year. The ortho was (recently retired) one of the top in the region. He said if my son was playing one sport it would be too much. But since it was spread over four sports with different movements he should be ok. He was wrong. What he didn't consider is my son was always the one with the scrapes, floor burns and the dirty uniform at the end of the game. He was always going 100 mph to win.
                      Last edited by tg643; 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        At the same venue we'll be at in three weeks, they had a tournament last weekend. On Sunday, most teams played three games. One team played four. That team played at 10 a.m., 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Three 1.5 hour games is 4.5 hours of ball. That's not bad. I played a Litte League game this spring that went three hours because the other coach only cared about winning and made all of our kids keep trotting out to their positions in 95-degree midday heat. But four 1.5-hour games is too much. That's six hours of baseball. And that's just game time. Throw in four 15-minute warmups and you're talking about seven hours in uniform. I'm definitely going to make sure I have 12-13 tournament players.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by raptor View Post
                          What age group..there are only a handful of double elim tourneys for usssa each year and they don't break into divisions..even the forty team major super nits are single elim. The elites and all state games are double..I know there is one in Mckinney tx which is double in October..but it doesn't count for anything.
                          10u. These weren't double elims. They would run it like the USSSA Global WS. If you had 32 teams in qualifying. Sunday would be 4 brackets of 8 teams. Top 8 in one bracket for the title. Next 8 in bracket 2 for 9th place or Gold Champs, next 8 in bracket 3 for 17th place or Silver Champs.

                          We played one Super NIT with 24 teams where you played 4 pool play games and only top 8 advanced. We played another with 17 teams where everyone advanced. That is the only tournament that would have required 4 games in one day.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            [QUOTE=tg643;2050664]
                            Originally posted by raptor View Post

                            There's a huge difference between playing organized sports and pickup ball. In pickup sports kids pack it in when they are tired or hurt. In organized sports they suck it up to please the adults. Looking back my son played too many organized sports games as a kid. When he had shoulder surgery for a seperated shoulder in the fall of his senior year, the surgeon said the wear and tear on his shoulder was probably the cause for the seperation (in addition to the fall). The wear and tear was not from pitching. it was from all the organized soccer, football, basketball and baseball he played as a kid. I played a lot of pickup sports as a kid in addition to playing three organized sports. But we packed it in for the day when we had enough. Our organized sports did not have excessive schedules. What looks like a bunch of fun you may come to realize after the fact there's more involved.


                            Add: As my kids were growing up they had physicals by a sports orthopedic specialist every year. The ortho was (recently retired) one of the top in the region. He said if my son was playing one sport it would be too much. But since it was spread over four sports with different movements he should be ok. He was wrong. What he didn't consider is my son was always the one with the scrapes, floor burns and the dirty uniform at the end of the game. He was always going 100 mph to win.
                            Some kids do get hurt..agreed..but it may just likely be from football or soccer or basketball....which this board encourages them to play as a second sport...well maybe not soccer lol.
                            But as long as you limit mound time and protect kids' arms..there really is not a huge difference between playing four baseball games and playing pickup all day..in fact there would be more throws and at bats in pickup..physically...now it might be higher stress emotionally but that's a different question.
                            In sixth grade football kids will throw up from running...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              [QUOTE=raptor;2050757]
                              Originally posted by tg643 View Post

                              Some kids do get hurt..agreed..but it may just likely be from football or soccer or basketball....which this board encourages them to play as a second sport...well maybe not soccer lol.
                              But as long as you limit mound time and protect kids' arms..there really is not a huge difference between playing four baseball games and playing pickup all day..in fact there would be more throws and at bats in pickup..physically...now it might be higher stress emotionally but that's a different question.
                              In sixth grade football kids will throw up from running...
                              The big differenec between a lot of pickup ball and a lot of organized ball is, if a kid playing pickup ball doesn't feel right he'll bag it for the day. In organized ball the kid will say nothing, suck it up and make the sitation worse. I wish kids played 20 league games and 50 pickup games over the summer rather than 60-75 (if not more) organized games.

                              Another value to a lot of pickup games versus organized games is kids will figure out a lot of the game on their own if left alone in pickup games long enough. I laugh at "using two different size bats" and "playing whiffle ball" will screw up your swing. Kids aren't that tender. We used whatever bat was available. I remember playing pickup games where the available bat was way too heavy. But I choked up and adapted to the situation. Today, kids dopn't know how to adapt. The fastest way to my bad side as a coach was anyone complaining the pitcher was too slow. Stop whining and adjust or I'll play someone who isn't whining. Too slow is not an excuse. Too fast can be challenging.
                              Last edited by tg643; 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I have 30" wood bat I used for two years in LL at 11-12..its 27 oz... Its always in the "bucket in the garage". Parents had it monogrammed etc and the alcoa bats were not that prevalent yet..and I used it because some older kids said they preferred the feel of wood so I copied them. Kid takes it from time to time...handle is so thick..he always is amazed that I used that club at his age. Anyone remember the Easton Black Magics? The first great aluminum.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X