Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=tg643;2050785]
    Originally posted by raptor View Post

Another value to a lot of pickup games versus organized games is kids will figure out a lot of the game on their own if left alone in pickup games long enough.
    Amen......
    Skip

Comment

1. Assume 20-25 pitches per inning. Over 40 TB and LLAS games, that's what our pitchers and opposing pitchers averaged.
      2. So for 4 games of 6 INN, that's anywhere between 480 and 600 pitches.

Divided by 8 pitchers and it's an average of 60 to 75 pitches per pitcher for the weekend.

You're looking to get 3 IP out of each pitcher.

So, what I would do is assign 2 pitchers to each game. Then have an emergency pitcher for each game.

Knowing that most games don;t go according to plan doesn't mean there shouldn't be a plan.

Honestly, if one is primarily concerned with pitcher safety ... don't sign up for tournaments. That's the lesson I learned this year and won't be doing again next year.

By 12U, everyone on the team (except for catchers) should be available to pitch and handle a decent workload and be facing enough batters that can make contact to keep pitches per inning below a ridiculous number.

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
        1. Assume 20-25 pitches per inning. Over 40 TB and LLAS games, that's what our pitchers and opposing pitchers averaged.
        2. So for 4 games of 6 INN, that's anywhere between 480 and 600 pitches.

Divided by 8 pitchers and it's an average of 60 to 75 pitches per pitcher for the weekend.

You're looking to get 3 IP out of each pitcher.

So, what I would do is assign 2 pitchers to each game. Then have an emergency pitcher for each game.

Knowing that most games don;t go according to plan doesn't mean there shouldn't be a plan.

Honestly, if one is primarily concerned with pitcher safety ... don't sign up for tournaments. That's the lesson I learned this year and won't be doing again next year.

By 12U, everyone on the team (except for catchers) should be available to pitch and handle a decent workload and be facing enough batters that can make contact to keep pitches per inning below a ridiculous number.

We averaged 18.2 pitches per innings last year at 10u. We didn't need three innings from starters but often got it due to low pitch counts. Our collective strike % was only 58 so I think that speaks for focusing on defense and making few errors. About half our games went five innings..maybe a quarter went six...at an hour and a half timed...sometimes we would only get three. 256 innings over 58 games...so about 4.5 innings per game...about 80 pitches per game for us.

Comment

We averaged 18.2 pitches per innings last year at 10u. We didn't need three innings from starters but often got it due to low pitch counts. Our collective strike % was only 58 so I think that speaks for focusing on defense and making few errors. About half our games went five innings..maybe a quarter went six...at an hour and a half timed...sometimes we would only get three. 256 innings over 58 games...so about 4.5 innings per game...about 80 pitches per game for us.
          That sounds very reasonable.

Our defense was not good and that was a significant factor in regards to pitch counts.

I don;t think kids should be required to play in multiple leagues at the same time, because it does't leave practice time ... only game time.

I think at these ages, kids need daily practice (probably not realistic), and y daily practice I simply mean each kid needs 15 minutes of hitting and groundballs (not necessarily as a team).

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
            That sounds very reasonable.

Our defense was not good and that was a significant factor in regards to pitch counts.

I don;t think kids should be required to play in multiple leagues at the same time, because it does't leave practice time ... only game time.

I think at these ages, kids need daily practice (probably not realistic), and y daily practice I simply mean each kid needs 15 minutes of hitting and groundballs (not necessarily as a team).
            Agreed..taking no weekends off..playing for multiple teams.."guest playing" and the like sway the balance too much to the game side vs practice time.
            Hit those kids plenty of easy gorund balls outside and work in the cages on the soft grass on teaching skills like diving..throwing from a knee..different arm angles etc.
            To the original poster..I cant stress enough..good defense saves your pitching staff at youth TB tournaments. When a young pitcher hears his teammates telling him to pipe it..they've got this..it gives him confidence!

Comment

Agreed..taking no weekends off..playing for multiple teams.."guest playing" and the like sway the balance too much to the game side vs practice time.
              Hit those kids plenty of easy gorund balls outside and work in the cages on the soft grass on teaching skills like diving..throwing from a knee..different arm angles etc.
              To the original poster..I cant stress enough..good defense saves your pitching staff at youth TB tournaments. When a young pitcher hears his teammates telling him to pipe it..they've got this..it gives him confidence!
              My defense seems to be good. But I won't know for sure until we start playing games.

Comment

If it's taking 5 plus outs to to get out of an inning you will tear through your arms quick. Outs are far more valuable than giving up a run most of the time.

Comment

Pitching managment strategy can change tournament to tournament. There are so many factors. The first is to evaluate your pool games. I have three studs who I consider bracket pitchers. They are going to throw no more than 25 pitches in pool play. If I have two games in pool and one is a team I consider much better than mine, I'm pitching all three in the game against the weaker team and guarantee myself a win - especially in a bracket that has play-in games for lower seeds. I don't want to blow quality pitching against a good team, lose, and then get tripped up by a weaker team. I'll take 1-1 anyday coming out of pool. Now, you'll find that the REAL GOOD teams can pitch their 7, 8, and 9 guys in pool with very little drop off, but most of us don't have that advantage.

Comment

Interested in more thoughts on pitching strategies for 11/12U Tournaments

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X