No announcement yet.

Organizing Double Header Sunday League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organizing Double Header Sunday League?

We are talking about 12U and under.

I have found "travel ball" to have it's own set of issues. Cost of tournaments, the amount of games. Weekend tourneys are marathons. By time you get to the championship game EVERYONE is done. Players, coaches, organizers, parents, and umps. The electicity of the event has disappeared because the place is empty with only two teams left on the field. The kids are dead and it starts to feel and look like a chore.

Sunday double headers sure seems interesting. What would it take to create a double header league for summerball?

Check to see if USSSA or AAU offer it in your area. We did this at eleven and twelve. We played on Sunday simultaneous with the LL season. The idea was to have potential all-star players playing quality competition all season. Our roster was the sixteen kids most likely to make all-stars. I communicated with every LL manager on the use of the pitchers on Saturday. Pitchers never went more than two innings on Sunday. Some only pitched one.

After 14U I got together with several travel teams to discuss having our own tournament program. We weren't happy with the regional USSSA director, the costs and the fields. We were going to build a super team conference tournament program. We were well on our way to doing it when the USSSA director caved on some demands. So it can be done if you know the other teams.

Comment

I'm new at this. But it's my understanding that all of the coaches are invited to a meeting at the start of the fall travel ball season. This is the time when they can talk and arrange DHs. It suppose they could arrange a "league" format. I think the better approach might be to coordinate with two other teams. Team 1 plays Team 2 at 9 a.m. Team 1 plays Team 3 at 11 a.m. Team 2 plays Team 3 at 1 p.m. Team 1 can be the host team. They'll be off doing other things by 1 p.m. You rotate fields/cities every Sunday and take off the fourth Sunday of the month. Some weeks, you'd have consecutive Sundays off.

Comment

The big catch to do it yourself is access to quality umpiring. The good ones are in the associations and booked up for the weekends.

Comment

if you live in Va - future state prospects baseball league.

Comment

Not knowing where you are from, it is hard to say what your options are. You may already have such a thing in your area. For example, here in Virginia Beach Nations Baseball hosts the Tidewater Travel League, which plays Sunday double-headers for eight weeks and then a championship tournament at the end of the season.

It also looks like the Richmond area has a travel league through Nations Baseball, and they appear to be forming one for southwest Virginia as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pcarnette View Post
              Not knowing where you are from, it is hard to say what your options are. You may already have such a thing in your area. For example, here in Virginia Beach Nations Baseball hosts the Tidewater Travel League, which plays Sunday double-headers for eight weeks and then a championship tournament at the end of the season.

It also looks like the Richmond area has a travel league through Nations Baseball, and they appear to be forming one for southwest Virginia as well.
              Here in so cal, its the "California Competitive Youth Baseball" (CCYB) league. Double headers on Sundays and playoffs at the end of Fall and Spring Season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X