Fall Rec Leage advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Rec Leage advice

My son is 8 and we will be playing in our Rec league's fall season. I'll be coaching. Its my first time to coach a fall season. I have coached Spring Season. The Fall season is very laid back. Its all done on sundays with the first three weeks being 90 minute practices and the last 5 weeks being games in which score is not kept and we may or may not have umps. Lots of folks take it really lax and i guess you sorta have to. I'm gonna try and work in 3 extra practices giving us 6 total for the season.

My question is how would you alter you practice plans considering the short amount of time you get with them? Do you just cover very basics and try not to get too specific on anything?

Any advice anyone has on similar leagues and coaching in them would be appreciated.

Originally posted by $tinky View Post
    My son is 8 and we will be playing in our Rec league's fall season. I'll be coaching. Its my first time to coach a fall season. I have coached Spring Season. The Fall season is very laid back. Its all done on sundays with the first three weeks being 90 minute practices and the last 5 weeks being games in which score is not kept and we may or may not have umps. Lots of folks take it really lax and i guess you sorta have to. I'm gonna try and work in 3 extra practices giving us 6 total for the season.

My question is how would you alter you practice plans considering the short amount of time you get with them? Do you just cover very basics and try not to get too specific on anything?

Any advice anyone has on similar leagues and coaching in them would be appreciated.
    Just cover basic fundamentals and move the kids all around. Have fun with it. I used to dictate the batting order by a draw of playing cards.

Comment

Our fall league teams have a wide base of skill level. Set your expectations up front with your team and parents to keep morale up when you run into a very well practiced team.

This is perfect time for station work! Lots and lots of reps making it as fun as possible. When moving players around really coach infield players the importants of taking the easy outs, outs, outs, and outs. Concentrate the OF on getting the ball in as fast as possible give up the run to keep a kid on first.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X