Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What else do your kids do other than baseball/softball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football and basketball when they're in season and taekwondo year round

Comment

My daughter played high school volleyball and was a sprinter in track. She bowls but doesn't have much interest in playing team sports.

My son is 20 and played CF & 1B in high school. He was the Goalkeeper as well as Striker in high school soccer. He was versatile and played almost every position. He was in the jazz band, the quiz bowl team, and the school band as a saxophone player.

In college he is the Captain of his Club Rugby team at the Div 2 Level, and plays either the Lock or 8-man pull positions. He plays intramural hockey, soccer, and basketball. He learned rock climbing, and plans on playing his saxophone in a small jazz quartet this semester.

He studied abroad in New Zealand this spring and bungee jumped, did a lot of mountain climbing, and did some surfing. He tried out for the university rugby team and made the third level. Their best college players sign pro contracts when they graduate and look like they could make the ND football team. He came home in the best shape of his life.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Does video gaming count? LOL. My boy has only played baseball. My daughter is the same way. We're hoping to get her into gymnastics this fall, and we're hoping to get him into basketball. He already likes it. He's just never tried a league. I also want them both to start playing golf. I think my daughter may take voice lessons. She likes to sing. She artistic.

Comment

Boy ( 11) baseball and football only...and lots of Minecraft.
          Girl (8) gymnastics..which is about as much as she can handle..about 12 hours a week. She used to do s***er but she wasn't into the contact and aggression. She says she will stay with it as long as she is advancing and can compete..its given her tons of self confidence.
          I feel bad because I spend way more time with the son..no parents stay for gymnastics practice. and they train all year for a 3 month meet season.

Comment

Can't forget my 5-year old grandson. He plays in the 5-6 Midget leagues of baseball and soccer. It's not easy being the youngest player at that age.
            "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
            "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
              I have never had a problem. Not here, nor in Hawaii. Have family that live at Redondo, PV, Ventura and Carpenteria and have very big high school classmate that has been living on Maui going on 25 years. I used to play beach volleyball at Santa Monica, Venice and Hermosa Beach. My friends lived 1 block from the beach right next to Redondo near the stacks.
              There were turf/surf war brawls at Bird Rock in la Jolla. I played in all the amateur two man tournaments from Manhattan to San Diego. Also played in the pro-ams in Redondo and San Diego. My partner and I often made it through Friday to when the pro tournament started on Saturday. Then we would draw someone like Stoklos-Smith or Hovland-Dodd in the first round. We knew them. The deal was if we cruised they would cruise and let us lose 15-9 twice. Otherwise, they could beat us 15-2. The Saturday night volleyball tournament parties were the best. You would be surprised how many pro players were hungover Sunday morning. Now there's too much money involved to screw around. Basketball skills translate well to volleyball if you have ups. The big transition is learning to come from behind the ball instead of from underneath. I starting teaching my daughter how to spike on a tennis net when she was little. It was to get her into wanting to watch me play than learning any skills.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                There were turf/surf war brawls at Bird Rock in la Jolla. I played in all the amateur two man tournaments from Manhattan to San Diego. Also played in the pro-ams in Redondo and San Diego. My partner and I often made it through Friday to when the pro tournament started on Saturday. Then we would draw someone like Stoklos-Smith or Hovland-Dodd in the first round. We knew them. The deal was if we cruised they would cruise and let us lose 15-9 twice. Otherwise, they could beat us 15-2. The Saturday night volleyball tournament parties were the best. You would be surprised how many pro players were hungover Sunday morning. Now there's too much money involved to screw around. Basketball skills translate well to volleyball if you have ups. The big transition is learning to come from behind the ball instead of from underneath. I starting teaching my daughter how to spike on a tennis net when she was little. It was to get her into wanting to watch me play than learning any skills.
                No I wouldn't be surprised, I was there. While I didn't get to play Stoklos-Smith or Hovland-Dodd, I did get to play the twins and Wilt the Stilt. I also played with and against Bob Samuelson.

Comment

My kids were all in 5 yo All-Star tournaments, so inevitably that led to a life of crime and the pokey.
                  efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

TG that is a great story..everyone loves hearing stories like that! Did y'all ever try to win and just get smoked? Or was it so obvious that they approached you? You must be a beast just to make it that far.. but what's it like playing against those guys!

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
                      TG that is a great story..everyone loves hearing stories like that! Did y'all ever try to win and just get smoked? Or was it so obvious that they approached you? You must be a beast just to make it that far.. but what's it like playing against those guys!
                      We knew Hovland and Dodd and a few of the other players based out of Hermosa. We were considered good scrimmage fodder during the week. The pros didn't like to scrimmage against each other during the week. It was good for our games. The first time we made it through we were matched with them. They offered the deal not to embarass us if we didn't make them work hard. The big thing they were always concerned about was gung ho amateurs landing on their ankles at the nets. I've seen it happen. I once thought Stoklos was going to punch out a guy right in the middle of a game. Stoklos was a beast. I always thought he could be a weak side linebacker. He was 6'4". He looked about 220 with no body fat. Once the word got out we were a preferred first round match.

If both sides played hard they would have beat us 15-2 like they did to most other amateur matchups. Back then you couldn't score unless you were serving. It meant digging out their killer spikes just to have a shot at a point. When tv got involved with volleyball the scoring was changed to every play rather than having to side out. There were times before the scoring change one championship game between Stokos-Smith and Hovland-Dodd would take 90 minutes. I was in the best shape of my life then from 22-30. Two man is a lot of conditioning and hard work. I'm only 6'1" but I could jump. My partner was 6'4". I never played until I was 22. The game came naturally once I learned to get behind the ball and learned the team defensive angles. It's a lot of ground to cover. You have to cut down shooting angles to limit shot selection. I played basketball in high school. I could dunk.

Comment

Other sports my kids play in rec leagues:

soccer, and basketball.

The older one is getting to the point where the kids that concentrate on soccer all year are starting to pass him. Until now he could get by because he's a good athlete, but only play in the fall.

In school both my kids play chess....In fact we almost missed out on our LL's Majors tryouts for a chess tournament.

I wish my kids showed more of an interest in playing an instrument (have a recording studio at home).

Comment

13 yo daughter - we ski A LOT in the winter.
                          Other than that and softball, she's not really into sports. Softball is a 3 season endeavor for her now, though (plus winter practice).
                          She plays guitar and writes stories constantly. Loves to play magical combat games based on manga and DS with her friends.
                          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

15 Year Son
                            Currently:
                            Football during the fall (of course, there is spring training, and conditioning in the summer)
                            Baseball during the spring and summer (some BP/fielding practice during fall)

Past:
                            Soccer and basketball

12 year old daughter
                            Currently doing non-competitive Gymnastics and will play rec basketball during the spring.

Past:
                            Soccer (she was actually pretty good, but as the fields got larger, she decided she did not like to run that much)

Comment

That's college. My son got busted for underage drinking in the parking lot of a football game. To quote him when he called: "75,000 freak'n people. Half are underage and they catch me!" To quote me: "Don't expect me to pay for your stupidity." He had to pay a $500 fine and attend an alcohol awareness class. He was fortunate the AD or the coach didn't find out.
                              In europe you can drink low percentage stuff like beer with 16. In france they even give small kids wine (small amounts). In europe a lot of kids drink alcohol with 14-15. Not that I like it but it is reality.

I would of course go really mad if I find out.

What I want to say with this is that I of course don't want my kid to do such stuff. I will try to raise him as a good kid but we cannot control everything a kid does.
                              Last edited by dominik; 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM.
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                                In europe you can drink low percentage stuff like beer with 16. In france they even give small kids wine (small amounts). In europe a lot of kids drink alcohol with 14-15. Not that I like it but it is reality.

I would of course go really mad if I find out.

What I want to say with this is that I of course don't want my kid to do such stuff. I will try to raise him as a good kid but we cannot control everything a kid does.
                                Beer drinking starts in high school. Any parent of a good looking, popular jock who thinks his kid isn't having a few beers is naive. I do know through junior year my son was at three parties that were busted. The police don't let the kids leave without taking a breathalyzer test. My son blew zeros each time. He told me he would grab an empty beer can and walk around with it so no one would bug him to drink. But I know the kids went a little nuts senior year. Alcohol is part of what college is about. I've never worried about my kids taking alcohol to excess. They've never seen me buzzed. They have only seen me drink responsibly. They have never seen me get in a car after having more than one drink.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X