Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What else do your kids do other than baseball/softball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 y/o soph. son plays HS football and pick up basketball at the athletic club where he works out. I see him valuing his off seasons and off days more and more. Loves the outdoors - fly fishing, backpacking, hunting, and snowmobiling. He loves playing HS sports, but at the same time we talk a lot about life after football season and before baseball workouts, sitting in a goose blind, drinking coffee, and cooking up some little smokies, and waiting for a big flock of geese to call into our decoys.

He's a gym rat. Loves going to the gym and lifting and hanging out with a couple close friends that go there too. It's actually pretty cool that his social life revolves around it. Says there's a lot of cute girls and afterward on Fridays or Saturdays they walk to Taco Bell (big fan of 4th meal) or Subway to refuel and hang out. Used to play music a lot - guitar, drums, and keyboard. I think band class, and being the instructors aid, and feeling pressure to pursue it with more intensity killed a real good thing he had going - playing music with his friends. Hope he finds his way back to it. Kid can jam. Used to play a lot of chess as well. Pretty much the same thing though.

12 y/o 7th grade daughter has a bit of a revelation recently. She was in competitive cheer until she was injured during this year's tryouts about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Made the team as an alternate anyway, but really that's more of a way of saying that they're willing to collect her membership money while holding her breath that someone else gets hurt or quits. Cheer is full time, anywhere from bare minimum 3, up to 7 days a week (when they have competitions on the weekend), 48 weeks a year.

She now wants to play school sports - volleyball, basketball, and track. I'm happy with her decision if she is. She's a tremendous athlete, very strong and very intense. She's been away from softball for two years, so I don't know if she can play catch up. Not sure she really wants to. Huge Jennie Finch fan. Actually so is my son. They both wear #27 whenever they can get that number because it's her number.

We're a baseball family. Love watching my son and his HS play, going to Oregon Duck baseball games, minor league, MLB, and the TV is most often on the MLB channel or ESPN. My daughter's first word - EEE CHEE RO! over and over again while pounding her fist onto her high chair. It's actually a pleasure, and I know my son feels the same way, that his seasons are over and we can just be fans caught up in the MLB pennant races.
    Last edited by shake-n-bake; 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM.
    There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
      14 y/o soph. son plays HS football and pick up basketball at the athletic club where he works out. I see him valuing his off seasons and off days more and more. Loves the outdoors - fly fishing, backpacking, hunting, and snowmobiling. He loves playing HS sports, but at the same time we talk a lot about life after football season and before baseball workouts, sitting in a goose blind, drinking coffee, and cooking up some little smokies, and waiting for a big flock of geese to call into our decoys.

He's a gym rat. Loves going to the gym and lifting and hanging out with a couple close friends that go there too. It's actually pretty cool that his social life revolves around it. Says there's a lot of cute girls and afterward on Fridays or Saturdays they walk to Taco Bell (big fan of 4th meal) or Subway to refuel and hang out. Used to play music a lot - guitar, drums, and keyboard. I think band class, and being the instructors aid, and feeling pressure to pursue it with more intensity killed a real good thing he had going - playing music with his friends. Hope he finds his way back to it. Kid can jam. Used to play a lot of chess as well. Pretty much the same thing though.

12 y/o 7th grade daughter has a bit of a revelation recently. She was in competitive cheer until she was injured during this year's tryouts about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Made the team as an alternate anyway, but really that's more of a way of saying that they're willing to collect her membership money while holding her breath that someone else gets hurt or quits. Cheer is full time, anywhere from bare minimum 3, up to 7 days a week (when they have competitions on the weekend), 48 weeks a year.

She now wants to play school sports - volleyball, basketball, and track. I'm happy with her decision if she is. She's a tremendous athlete, very strong and very intense. She's been away from softball for two years, so I don't know if she can play catch up. Not sure she really wants to. Huge Jennie Finch fan. Actually so is my son. They both wear #27 whenever they can get that number because it's her number.

We're a baseball family. Love watching my son and his HS play, going to Oregon Duck baseball games, minor league, MLB, and the TV is most often on the MLB channel or ESPN. My daughter's first word - EEE CHEE RO! over and over again while pounding her fist onto her high chair. It's actually a pleasure, and I know my son feels the same way, that his seasons are over and we can just be fans caught up in the MLB pennant races.
      Senior Pitcher from my sons high school committed to Oregon this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
        Senior Pitcher from my sons high school committed to Oregon this summer.
        Smart kid!
        There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

I do know through junior year my son was at three parties that were busted. The police don't let the kids leave without taking a breathalyzer test. My son blew zeros each time. He told me he would grab an empty beer can and walk around with it so no one would bug him to drink.

TG,
          1. Where were the parents?
          2. What happens when someone snaps a cellphone photo of your son holding a beer can, posts it on facebook, and the HSV coach sees it?
          3. I impaired the popularity of my offspring with a skepticism about "parties", and a "trust, but verify" approach. Even in spring of senior year. Or should I say, especially in spring of senior year.
          Last edited by skipper5; 08-16-2012, 05:27 PM.
          Skip

Comment

Nice to see so many parents involved with their kids!

My son is 13. For years we were involved in road racing motorcycles together. For those unaware, this is EXTREMELY physical. He was really dang good, still holds one track record (last time I looked) and a national record. This was my passion since I was a kid, but once he started I stepped aside and helped him. After some pretty bad accidents (friend died) he called it quits. He then did one season of baseball. He wasn't bad at all. For never having played I would (as unbiased as I can be) have ranked him as the 5th best on his team. I WISH he would have kept on playing. He's SOOOOO athletic. He's lightning fast. One of my most prideful moments I'll remember forever is when he was in left field. He caught a fly ball, the kid on third tagged up and ran, and he made the most perfect laser beam throw straight into the catcher's glove to get the kid out. After that he was upgraded to the permanent center fielder and backup 3rd when one of the "core 4" were out. Anyhow, as I mentioned he's super fast and after watching the olympics, wants to be a sprint runner. So now we're going to start training together and hopefully we'll have fun while getting fit together.

My daughter just turned 9 last week. She was in competitive dance and even won at state once (nice big 6' trophy). However, she quit so she could play travel ball. Baseball has been it for her for the past year and a half, always playing rec and travel. This winter though I'm signing her up for basketball. She's just a very social kid that wants to do anything. She's looking forward to trying it out. I was a basketball player in HS so I know enough to help her out in this sport too. However, even though I practiced basketball almost daily, I was far better at baseball naturally. I wish I had pursued baseball instead!

Comment

Duplicate post
              Last edited by clayadams; 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM. Reason: Dup post

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
                I do know through junior year my son was at three parties that were busted. The police don't let the kids leave without taking a breathalyzer test. My son blew zeros each time. He told me he would grab an empty beer can and walk around with it so no one would bug him to drink.

TG,
                1. Where were the parents?
                2. What happens when someone snaps a cellphone photo of your son holding a beer can, posts it on facebook, and the HSV coach sees it?
                3. I impaired the popularity of my offspring with a skepticism about "parties", and a "trust, but verify" approach. Even in spring of senior year. Or should I say, especially in spring of senior year.
                1) It's the parent's out of town story. We had a night club for a basement. I told my kids if they ever had a party behind my back it would be the last before their permanent grounding started.

2) I warned him about that. But I think the coach would give him the benefit of the doubt on his story given his citizenship at school.

3) You can't track where kids are every minute once they're driving. I explained the various consequences to my kids and trusted them. I told them if they screwed up it was on them.

One kid at one of the parties lost his senior year of baseball. He had to explain that to the college coach that recruited him. Our high school has a mandatory ninety day suspension from school activities if students have problems in the community. The kid missed tryouts and 3/4 of the season. The coach told him he could have a uniform for the 1/4 of the season and practice but no way was he taking the field.

Comment

Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post

He's a gym rat. Loves going to the gym and lifting and hanging out with a couple close friends that go there too. It's actually pretty cool that his social life revolves around it. Says there's a lot of cute girls and afterward on Fridays or Saturdays they walk to Taco Bell (big fan of 4th meal) or Subway to refuel and hang out. Used to play music a lot - guitar, drums, and keyboard.
                  It sounds like a nice variety of outdoor activities he will always love to do. As he makes new friends don't be surprised if he takes up an instrument or two again.

My son and his friends formed a Facebook group strictly for playing basketball at the local playground. One asks who is going down later, and pretty soon they have enough players. It is pathetic that this bunch of 20-year olds are the only kids using the basketball courts in the summer.
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Daughter started playing most sports. She played middle school softball, volleyball and basketball. She was good at all but always loved softball. Naturally, she traveled a lot during the summer playing softball and so, because of great head coaches and some of the nicest girls around, softball became her focus. In high school, she played volleyball and was awarded the underclassman award as the best underclassman volleyball player. (Non Varsity) IMO, she would have been a decent high school basketball player but not above average. She never had any desire to play that game and only played in middle school because they had an award in middle school for best female athlete. She wanted to win that award. She didn't. She started varsity as a freshman on the softball team and holds the school record for games started among many records. My daughter is a good kid and so, her junior year, I asked her to not play volleyball but, instead, come out for golf. She never played golf much but she can hit a golfball out of this world. She did so because i asked her to do it. She was our #3 golfer and averaged a 49 for 9 holes and a 101 for 18 holes of golf. While that doesn't sound very good, in girl's golf, she was so consistent. She was offered several golf scholarships but, again, golf wasn't what she loved. She is playing college softball and loves it. She has a coach that she thinks the world of. Now, her "other interest" is dancing. She went every Wednesday and Saturday night that she could to go country line dance. She is amazing at it. Tonight, she is taking her new college teammates line dancing. Finally, one other thing that she is really starting to like is lifting. She is doing a lot of work with her new strength and conditioning coach. He has her doing "planks" with a 35 lbs. weight attached to her side. When she does "bridges," she now uses two 45 lbs plates. Her squats and bench are way up. She wanted me to see her "six pack" the other day and told me how proud she was of her work in the weight room this summer.
                    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
                      Daughter started playing most sports. She played middle school softball, volleyball and basketball. She was good at all but always loved softball. Naturally, she traveled a lot during the summer playing softball and so, because of great head coaches and some of the nicest girls around, softball became her focus. In high school, she played volleyball and was awarded the underclassman award as the best underclassman volleyball player. (Non Varsity) IMO, she would have been a decent high school basketball player but not above average. She never had any desire to play that game and only played in middle school because they had an award in middle school for best female athlete. She wanted to win that award. She didn't. She started varsity as a freshman on the softball team and holds the school record for games started among many records. My daughter is a good kid and so, her junior year, I asked her to not play volleyball but, instead, come out for golf. She never played golf much but she can hit a golfball out of this world. She did so because i asked her to do it. She was our #3 golfer and averaged a 49 for 9 holes and a 101 for 18 holes of golf. While that doesn't sound very good, in girl's golf, she was so consistent. She was offered several golf scholarships but, again, golf wasn't what she loved. She is playing college softball and loves it. She has a coach that she thinks the world of. Now, her "other interest" is dancing. She went every Wednesday and Saturday night that she could to go country line dance. She is amazing at it. Tonight, she is taking her new college teammates line dancing. Finally, one other thing that she is really starting to like is lifting. She is doing a lot of work with her new strength and conditioning coach. He has her doing "planks" with a 35 lbs. weight attached to her side. When she does "bridges," she now uses two 45 lbs plates. Her squats and bench are way up. She wanted me to see her "six pack" the other day and told me how proud she was of her work in the weight room this summer.
                      I tried to get my son play golf but he just not into it at all.

Comment

I've been overweight most of my life. For the past few weeks, I'm been trimming down. Baseball practices are going much smoother. And I have more energy. You guys helped me to realize that my time with my son and daughter is ticking away each day. So, me and my boy went to the park this evening and played some one-on-one basketball. I taught him how to drive to the basket, how to set his feet for a layup and how to post up. It was nice. In the morning, I'm busting out my fishing pole, and I'm going to take the kids fishing. I haven't fished in fresh water in Florida since I moved here seven years ago. So it should be interesting. But just being outdoors and spending time with the kids will make it worthwhile.

It hit me this morning that these kids are growing up fast. We went to meet their teachers. My boy is in fourth grade now. His sister has his old second grade teacher. He walked in and stood next to her. And he's nearly as tall as she is.

We haven't had a lot of money for the past few years. I feel like I've missed out on some things. I don't have my own bicycle and can't go on a ride with the kids. I haven't been able to take him to an NBA game or to the Daytona 500. I haven't been able to afford gymnastics classes for my girl. That may change this fall. I'm hopeful. All I know is that I'm going to make a concerted effort to enjoy time with these kids. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
                          I've been overweight most of my life. For the past few weeks, I'm been trimming down. Baseball practices are going much smoother. And I have more energy. You guys helped me to realize that my time with my son and daughter is ticking away each day. So, me and my boy went to the park this evening and played some one-on-one basketball. I taught him how to drive to the basket, how to set his feet for a layup and how to post up. It was nice. In the morning, I'm busting out my fishing pole, and I'm going to take the kids fishing. I haven't fished in fresh water in Florida since I moved here seven years ago. So it should be interesting. But just being outdoors and spending time with the kids will make it worthwhile.

It hit me this morning that these kids are growing up fast. We went to meet their teachers. My boy is in fourth grade now. His sister has his old second grade teacher. He walked in and stood next to her. And he's nearly as tall as she is.

We haven't had a lot of money for the past few years. I feel like I've missed out on some things. I don't have my own bicycle and can't go on a ride with the kids. I haven't been able to take him to an NBA game or to the Daytona 500. I haven't been able to afford gymnastics classes for my girl. That may change this fall. I'm hopeful. All I know is that I'm going to make a concerted effort to enjoy time with these kids. I'll keep you posted.
                          You can take your kids to high school sports. It's inexpensive and fun. You can take them to a local NASCAR event. I learned something very valuable when my daughter was four. We lived in LA. We were in San Diego for the weekend and work on Monday. I told my daughter on the way back we could go to Disneyland Tuesday. We got there and it was closed (bad economy at the time). We took her to the Costa Mesa Mall to ride the merry-go-round. The Disney Store, Sesame Street Store and FAO Swartz were all on one corner. We left three hours later. It's not how much you spend. It's being together and having fun that matters to kids.

Comment

lancers, that is a shame but don't give up. In the long run, golf is a sport that you and your son can do for life. My daughter and I go out now and it is so much fun.
                            Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                              It sounds like a nice variety of outdoor activities he will always love to do. As he makes new friends don't be surprised if he takes up an instrument or two again.

My son and his friends formed a Facebook group strictly for playing basketball at the local playground. One asks who is going down later, and pretty soon they have enough players. It is pathetic that this bunch of 20-year olds are the only kids using the basketball courts in the summer.
                              My son does the same thing.

I had a really nice court in my backyard. Glass backboard, court striped, lights, sound system, the whole 9 yards. I miss it. Wish I could have taken the backyard when we moved. Always had a bunch of kids and half tanked friends of mine playing on it. Now we go to a nearby park. I've played against kids half my age quite a few times. Painful. My son and I have gone 2 on 2 with older guys (older than him anyway). He's getting used to it. At first he let them push him around. Then he figured out he's bigger and stronger than them. Fun to see the look on a 24 year old's face when he gets trucked by a 14 year old on one play and a 48 year old on the next.

I look at the outdoor stuff as a safety net. Our lives are dangerously tied together through his sports. If and when it all ends we still have common interests and he's not searching for a life. His college of choice so far is in an area that's a sportsman's paradise. He'd love to play baseball there, but having trophy trout 15 minutes from his last class is appealing also. When baseball gets a little too much in the summer, we head for the mountains and you can literally see him decompress.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                                You can take your kids to high school sports. It's inexpensive and fun. You can take them to a local NASCAR event. I learned something very valuable when my daughter was four. We lived in LA. We were in San Diego for the weekend and work on Monday. I told my daughter on the way back we could go to Disneyland Tuesday. We got there and it was closed (bad economy at the time). We took her to the Costa Mesa Mall to ride the merry-go-round. The Disney Store, Sesame Street Store and FAO Swartz were all on one corner. We left three hours later. It's not how much you spend. It's being together and having fun that matters to kids.
                                LOL. We've been to plenty high school sports events. I cover prep sports sometimes. My boy has been to a few college games with me and lots of high school games. We live close to the speedway in Daytona Beach. I'd like to take him there some day. We had an annual pass for Disney World when he was about five. I wish I had waited a few years. My daughter was just two and didn't experience it much.

Anyway, I need to get to bed. I have to find a bait shop in the morning. That should be an adventure.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X