Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What else do your kids do other than baseball/softball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HeinekenMan
    replied
    Blue Spring. It's a manatee haven in the winter.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by The Flush View Post
    My 9YO wants to play more golf, but I can't afford it, and don't have much time for it. We chip around the backyard a lot, but only get on the course a couple times per year. He has recently learned that a nice, smooth swing will hit the ball farther than a hard, bad swing. He told me before the baseball season began that he did not want to play all-stars this year so he could play more golf. I told him he wouldn't play much golf no matter what because of the cost, so he decided to play all-stars afterall. Baseball is much better for my budget.
    My kids grew up with a fairway behind the backyard and don't golf. Sometimes they would chip and putt the green closest to our house at dusk. They do know the course though. My son caddied starting at twelve. My daughter delivered meals on the course in a golf cart for a summer job. It was great they could walk to work.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
    LOL. We've been to plenty high school sports events. I cover prep sports sometimes. My boy has been to a few college games with me and lots of high school games. We live close to the speedway in Daytona Beach. I'd like to take him there some day. We had an annual pass for Disney World when he was about five. I wish I had waited a few years. My daughter was just two and didn't experience it much.

Anyway, I need to get to bed. I have to find a bait shop in the morning. That should be an adventure.
    My daughter was five and my son six months when we left LA. We lived 30 miles from Disneyland in Redondo, then 60 miles when we lived in Agoura Hills. I think we took my daughter about fifteen times before we moved. The first time was a nightmare. She was 18 months old. I didn't consider how scary some of the rides would be comapred to the story in the book. Then Chip (from Chip and Dale) walked up and embraced her. She thought she was being swallowed. We ended up doing Small World about five times. The second trip six months later after doing Peter Pan twice and Small World she spent the entire day chasing characters to have her picture taken with them. I was amused by her change in attitude regarding the characters. She first encounted Winnie and Piglet. She knew they wouldn't hurt her. We explained it's just nice people inside. Ensuing trips were just normal days at Disneyland. We would get there at opening and run to Peter Pan (most popular ride in the park) and do it twice before the lines got long. We wouldn't leave until after the nighttime parade.

Leave a comment:

• jdfromfla
    replied
    JD, I have been to Alexander Springs twice. Once was with the family. It's a nice place to visit. We have another spring closer to us, and you can rent a tube and go down the stream a bit. One visit to Alexander Springs was at the end of a hike. I planned to hike about 45 miles through the Ocala National Forest on the Florida National Trail. I only made it about 15 miles. I foolishly wore new trail runners and developed horrible blisters on both foot and burns from my thighs rubbing against my pants. I plan to drop another 75 pounds and hit that trail again.
    Hmmmm Wekiva or Rock Springs (-; ? They really are the hidden jewel of this state. And yah long hikes in Ocala had better be accompanied by careful planning.

Leave a comment:

• HeinekenMan
    replied
    JD, I have been to Alexander Springs twice. Once was with the family. It's a nice place to visit. We have another spring closer to us, and you can rent a tube and go down the stream a bit. One visit to Alexander Springs was at the end of a hike. I planned to hike about 45 miles through the Ocala National Forest on the Florida National Trail. I only made it about 15 miles. I foolishly wore new trail runners and developed horrible blisters on both foot and burns from my thighs rubbing against my pants. I plan to drop another 75 pounds and hit that trail again.

Leave a comment:

• The Flush
    replied
    Originally posted by lancers View Post
    I tried to get my son play golf but he just not into it at all.
    My 9YO wants to play more golf, but I can't afford it, and don't have much time for it. We chip around the backyard a lot, but only get on the course a couple times per year. He has recently learned that a nice, smooth swing will hit the ball farther than a hard, bad swing. He told me before the baseball season began that he did not want to play all-stars this year so he could play more golf. I told him he wouldn't play much golf no matter what because of the cost, so he decided to play all-stars afterall. Baseball is much better for my budget.

Leave a comment:

• jdfromfla
    replied
    I have to find a bait shop in the morning
    Heinny old boy..if you are close to Daytona...oh wow! For $5.50 you can take em to Alexander Springs..which is just up the road in the middle of the Ocala National Forrest near the sleepy town of Umatilla...they have snorkling (It's where a bunch of dive clubs do their check out dives also) canoe/kayaking, camping, fishing, hiking, plenty of picnic areas and it's very likely to become your very favorite spot on earth (It's sure mine..next to Wrigley)..the spirit of the place humbles you to silence...it can be full of people (They close the parking lot at a certain number and don't let it ever get over-crowded) and kids and it's almost silent..the water is 72 degrees year round, so instead of the ocean where you feel worse when you get out, you feel like you've been totally revitalized in crystal clear spring water...take those kids...and mom you will never regret it.

My oldest (Now 32) played baseball, scouts, was an avid skater and boarder, golfed and an awesome horseman (My grandson has played soccer and t-ball, now he's swimming and learning golf and the grand daughter is tumbling and thinking about it all), the youngest (22) was baseball through his full ride with Indian River and injury, he was also into Tae Kwan Doo, motocross riding not competeing and self taught himself guitar (Believe it or not it started with the video game RockStar) and now has a Martin and a Gibson SG and works real hard on them, while coaching a 12u TT, an 18u show case team and as Asst. Head Coach at a high school in the Jacksonville burbs...oh and his "new" scheme to make more money is to take and put the old mans ump gear to use and join a local umping association...

Leave a comment:

• TonyK
    replied
    Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
    My son does the same thing.

I had a really nice court in my backyard. Glass backboard, court striped, lights, sound system, the whole 9 yards. I miss it. Wish I could have taken the backyard when we moved. Always had a bunch of kids and half tanked friends of mine playing on it. Now we go to a nearby park. I've played against kids half my age quite a few times. Painful. My son and I have gone 2 on 2 with older guys (older than him anyway). He's getting used to it. At first he let them push him around. Then he figured out he's bigger and stronger than them. Fun to see the look on a 24 year old's face when he gets trucked by a 14 year old on one play and a 48 year old on the next.

I look at the outdoor stuff as a safety net. Our lives are dangerously tied together through his sports. If and when it all ends we still have common interests and he's not searching for a life. His college of choice so far is in an area that's a sportsman's paradise. He'd love to play baseball there, but having trophy trout 15 minutes from his last class is appealing also. When baseball gets a little too much in the summer, we head for the mountains and you can literally see him decompress.
    You are very fortunate to get to do all of this with your son. I'm too old now for one on one's but not too old to listen to "We Are The Champions" etc. on the sound system.

My son's school is close to the Adirondacks and I'm hoping he has the chance to spend some time there. I feel college students need a little break from studying and other activities from time to time.

Today's economy has to be causing stress in the younger generation.

Leave a comment:

• HeinekenMan
    replied
    Originally posted by tg643 View Post
    You can take your kids to high school sports. It's inexpensive and fun. You can take them to a local NASCAR event. I learned something very valuable when my daughter was four. We lived in LA. We were in San Diego for the weekend and work on Monday. I told my daughter on the way back we could go to Disneyland Tuesday. We got there and it was closed (bad economy at the time). We took her to the Costa Mesa Mall to ride the merry-go-round. The Disney Store, Sesame Street Store and FAO Swartz were all on one corner. We left three hours later. It's not how much you spend. It's being together and having fun that matters to kids.
    LOL. We've been to plenty high school sports events. I cover prep sports sometimes. My boy has been to a few college games with me and lots of high school games. We live close to the speedway in Daytona Beach. I'd like to take him there some day. We had an annual pass for Disney World when he was about five. I wish I had waited a few years. My daughter was just two and didn't experience it much.

Anyway, I need to get to bed. I have to find a bait shop in the morning. That should be an adventure.

Leave a comment:

• shake-n-bake
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyK View Post
    It sounds like a nice variety of outdoor activities he will always love to do. As he makes new friends don't be surprised if he takes up an instrument or two again.

My son and his friends formed a Facebook group strictly for playing basketball at the local playground. One asks who is going down later, and pretty soon they have enough players. It is pathetic that this bunch of 20-year olds are the only kids using the basketball courts in the summer.
    My son does the same thing.

I had a really nice court in my backyard. Glass backboard, court striped, lights, sound system, the whole 9 yards. I miss it. Wish I could have taken the backyard when we moved. Always had a bunch of kids and half tanked friends of mine playing on it. Now we go to a nearby park. I've played against kids half my age quite a few times. Painful. My son and I have gone 2 on 2 with older guys (older than him anyway). He's getting used to it. At first he let them push him around. Then he figured out he's bigger and stronger than them. Fun to see the look on a 24 year old's face when he gets trucked by a 14 year old on one play and a 48 year old on the next.

I look at the outdoor stuff as a safety net. Our lives are dangerously tied together through his sports. If and when it all ends we still have common interests and he's not searching for a life. His college of choice so far is in an area that's a sportsman's paradise. He'd love to play baseball there, but having trophy trout 15 minutes from his last class is appealing also. When baseball gets a little too much in the summer, we head for the mountains and you can literally see him decompress.

Leave a comment:

• Cannonball
    replied
    lancers, that is a shame but don't give up. In the long run, golf is a sport that you and your son can do for life. My daughter and I go out now and it is so much fun.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    I've been overweight most of my life. For the past few weeks, I'm been trimming down. Baseball practices are going much smoother. And I have more energy. You guys helped me to realize that my time with my son and daughter is ticking away each day. So, me and my boy went to the park this evening and played some one-on-one basketball. I taught him how to drive to the basket, how to set his feet for a layup and how to post up. It was nice. In the morning, I'm busting out my fishing pole, and I'm going to take the kids fishing. I haven't fished in fresh water in Florida since I moved here seven years ago. So it should be interesting. But just being outdoors and spending time with the kids will make it worthwhile.

It hit me this morning that these kids are growing up fast. We went to meet their teachers. My boy is in fourth grade now. His sister has his old second grade teacher. He walked in and stood next to her. And he's nearly as tall as she is.

We haven't had a lot of money for the past few years. I feel like I've missed out on some things. I don't have my own bicycle and can't go on a ride with the kids. I haven't been able to take him to an NBA game or to the Daytona 500. I haven't been able to afford gymnastics classes for my girl. That may change this fall. I'm hopeful. All I know is that I'm going to make a concerted effort to enjoy time with these kids. I'll keep you posted.
    You can take your kids to high school sports. It's inexpensive and fun. You can take them to a local NASCAR event. I learned something very valuable when my daughter was four. We lived in LA. We were in San Diego for the weekend and work on Monday. I told my daughter on the way back we could go to Disneyland Tuesday. We got there and it was closed (bad economy at the time). We took her to the Costa Mesa Mall to ride the merry-go-round. The Disney Store, Sesame Street Store and FAO Swartz were all on one corner. We left three hours later. It's not how much you spend. It's being together and having fun that matters to kids.

Leave a comment:

• HeinekenMan
    replied
    I've been overweight most of my life. For the past few weeks, I'm been trimming down. Baseball practices are going much smoother. And I have more energy. You guys helped me to realize that my time with my son and daughter is ticking away each day. So, me and my boy went to the park this evening and played some one-on-one basketball. I taught him how to drive to the basket, how to set his feet for a layup and how to post up. It was nice. In the morning, I'm busting out my fishing pole, and I'm going to take the kids fishing. I haven't fished in fresh water in Florida since I moved here seven years ago. So it should be interesting. But just being outdoors and spending time with the kids will make it worthwhile.

It hit me this morning that these kids are growing up fast. We went to meet their teachers. My boy is in fourth grade now. His sister has his old second grade teacher. He walked in and stood next to her. And he's nearly as tall as she is.

We haven't had a lot of money for the past few years. I feel like I've missed out on some things. I don't have my own bicycle and can't go on a ride with the kids. I haven't been able to take him to an NBA game or to the Daytona 500. I haven't been able to afford gymnastics classes for my girl. That may change this fall. I'm hopeful. All I know is that I'm going to make a concerted effort to enjoy time with these kids. I'll keep you posted.

Leave a comment:

• lancers
    replied
    Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
    Daughter started playing most sports. She played middle school softball, volleyball and basketball. She was good at all but always loved softball. Naturally, she traveled a lot during the summer playing softball and so, because of great head coaches and some of the nicest girls around, softball became her focus. In high school, she played volleyball and was awarded the underclassman award as the best underclassman volleyball player. (Non Varsity) IMO, she would have been a decent high school basketball player but not above average. She never had any desire to play that game and only played in middle school because they had an award in middle school for best female athlete. She wanted to win that award. She didn't. She started varsity as a freshman on the softball team and holds the school record for games started among many records. My daughter is a good kid and so, her junior year, I asked her to not play volleyball but, instead, come out for golf. She never played golf much but she can hit a golfball out of this world. She did so because i asked her to do it. She was our #3 golfer and averaged a 49 for 9 holes and a 101 for 18 holes of golf. While that doesn't sound very good, in girl's golf, she was so consistent. She was offered several golf scholarships but, again, golf wasn't what she loved. She is playing college softball and loves it. She has a coach that she thinks the world of. Now, her "other interest" is dancing. She went every Wednesday and Saturday night that she could to go country line dance. She is amazing at it. Tonight, she is taking her new college teammates line dancing. Finally, one other thing that she is really starting to like is lifting. She is doing a lot of work with her new strength and conditioning coach. He has her doing "planks" with a 35 lbs. weight attached to her side. When she does "bridges," she now uses two 45 lbs plates. Her squats and bench are way up. She wanted me to see her "six pack" the other day and told me how proud she was of her work in the weight room this summer.
    I tried to get my son play golf but he just not into it at all.

Leave a comment:

• Cannonball
    replied
    Daughter started playing most sports. She played middle school softball, volleyball and basketball. She was good at all but always loved softball. Naturally, she traveled a lot during the summer playing softball and so, because of great head coaches and some of the nicest girls around, softball became her focus. In high school, she played volleyball and was awarded the underclassman award as the best underclassman volleyball player. (Non Varsity) IMO, she would have been a decent high school basketball player but not above average. She never had any desire to play that game and only played in middle school because they had an award in middle school for best female athlete. She wanted to win that award. She didn't. She started varsity as a freshman on the softball team and holds the school record for games started among many records. My daughter is a good kid and so, her junior year, I asked her to not play volleyball but, instead, come out for golf. She never played golf much but she can hit a golfball out of this world. She did so because i asked her to do it. She was our #3 golfer and averaged a 49 for 9 holes and a 101 for 18 holes of golf. While that doesn't sound very good, in girl's golf, she was so consistent. She was offered several golf scholarships but, again, golf wasn't what she loved. She is playing college softball and loves it. She has a coach that she thinks the world of. Now, her "other interest" is dancing. She went every Wednesday and Saturday night that she could to go country line dance. She is amazing at it. Tonight, she is taking her new college teammates line dancing. Finally, one other thing that she is really starting to like is lifting. She is doing a lot of work with her new strength and conditioning coach. He has her doing "planks" with a 35 lbs. weight attached to her side. When she does "bridges," she now uses two 45 lbs plates. Her squats and bench are way up. She wanted me to see her "six pack" the other day and told me how proud she was of her work in the weight room this summer.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X