No announcement yet.

Wiffle Ball Bat = Bat speed ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be lots of jealousy in this thread. Leave the kid alone. It sounds like he and Dad are having fun.
    Last edited by songtitle; 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM.
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
      There seems to be lots of jealousy in this thread. Leave the kid alone. It sounds like he and Dad are having fun.
      I think it's the exact opposite.

I think there are dads here whose kids were hitting dad pitch overhand pitches at age 3 and those kids were significantly better than the 5yo kids when they were 5, many of whom have never touched a bat before ... and could have played with the 7U coach pitch players.

I think we're cautioning to not use that to mean something it doesn't.

If you play baseball with your kid daily at the pre-TBall ages, then the chances are high that they will be well above the other 5yo's since many of the kids never touch a bat before 1st practice. It's a shame, but it's reality.

I think the comments are more of a caution to not expect your kid to continue playing with kids a couple of years older than him.

I thought both of TG's kids played D1 baseball/softball, and my son has been through a similar experience as the kid in this thread. By age 10, all of the kids stop going into the outfield grass yelling "good hitter". I have a 4yo now who has spent his time following me and his older brother around. He, too, is far ahead of everyone else in his TBall league (including 6yo). Y'know what it means in the big picture? Simply that he's spent more time playing baseball than everyone else. It doesn't inherently mean "he's the one".

The disparity between the outstanding kid and everyone else gets smaller each year. That's what I was trying to prepare the dad for. It won;t be because he's not as dedicated as he used to be or that he doing something wrong or that he let off of the gas ... it'll simply be due to the other gets getting better and them having more room to improve.

When one guy tells another guy to take it down a notch or to calm it down a bit, it's not always because he's jealous. Sometimes guys that have been there before, simply know through experience, where things like "stating your kid's age in decimals" and "overly defending statements about playing up 2-3 years" is likely to lead.

Edit: It's also possible that I am misperceiving the situation.

As to the indoor baseball and blinds ... My son and I would have been sleeping in the front yard had we tried that.
      Last edited by CircleChange11; 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
        When I was on the board we didn't let five year olds play past 5/6 tee ball so we wouldn't have to deal with parents like you when they hit 7/8's and above. I wish I knew as much as you. I didn't have my son playing organized baseball at four years old. Having him start at seven probably stunted his baseball development. The same with my daughter not starting softball until seven.
        I don't see the need to talk down to posters here. You seem to have an opinion, even though neither of your kids played 5/6 ball. His board obviously does not agree with you since they have different rules.
        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Mini Albert Pujols!Like how he uses the whole room and hits to all walls!

Comment

I don't see the need to talk down to posters here. You seem to have an opinion, even though neither of your kids played 5/6 ball. His board obviously does not agree with you since they have different rules.
            With Circle on this one. Just a friendly warning that at this age it really does not mean much. Sounds like the kid is having fun, that's all that really matters. Hopefully Syidewayz can keep it all in perspective.

Comment

Regardless of when my kids started playing organized baseball I was trying to point out the absurdity of the poster's thought process. As a former board member of a youth sports organization that covered baseball, softball, girls and boys basketball, girls and boys soccer, girls and boys lacrosse and field hockey (was also on baseball/softball and basketball committees) whenever we heard things like the poster we thought and it was usually true, "We're about to have a problem with a parent lacking perspective."

I had a guy take a swing at me when I kicked his kid out of the 7/8 basketball league because he lied about the kid's age. Until removing his kid it was preventing a kid the legal age from participating. He told me his kid was too good for the 6yo clinic. He wasn't too good for the clinic. He was just better than some of the weak 7/8's. Every season in every sport there were issues with delusional parents of younger players. Some of the sports programs were so popular we had to cap registration due to facilities. We eventually had to go to birth certificates for every sport. The honor system wasn't working.

I'm certainly not jealous of the relationship between the dad and his son or his son's talent level. I've always had a great relationship with my kids. There's no doubt in my mind at five my son was better than many seven year olds. But it didn't mean he had to play at that level with older kids. He preferred to practice with his sister's 12U travel team when he was six than play tee ball. He got to shag shots. When practice was over he got to hit off the pitching machine. He started doing this at three years old. His favorite toy starting at 18 months was his batting tee and Little Tikes shopping cart full of whiffle balls and dead tennis balls. The neighbors could attest my son gave new meaning to the term "going yard." But I didn't feel the need to rush him into organized ball so I could thump my chest over something that's insignificant. In turn my daughter was a complete girly girl other than gymnastics until she decided to play softball at seven.

To provide perspective on how meaningless being a preteen stud means, my daughter didn't make the middle school basketball team. She was in the varsity rotation soph year. She grew and got stronger. By high school no one remembers anything about the beginning of organized sports other than it was cute. If the kids are still playing in high school they don't look back. If they aren't playing in high school they don't care anyway.
              Last edited by tg643; 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
                With Circle on this one. Just a friendly warning that at this age it really does not mean much. Sounds like the kid is having fun, that's all that really matters. Hopefully Syidewayz can keep it all in perspective.
                I think a 5yo (or 4.8yo) playing 7U coach pitch says more about the other kids or the rest of the league than it does the kid that's "playing up".

If ALL of the 5yo's play baseball every day with comparable coaching quality and the one kid stands out that much, THEN it's all about that one kid and maybe you get excited a little.

If your kid has received 10+ X's as much training/practice as everyone else and is much better than everyone else, then you just understand that he's gotten A LOT more attention than everyone else, and it's not so much that he's FASTER than everyone else, only that he's been given a huge head start.

Like was said about one of our presidents "Born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple".

I thinks it's great advice to only be concerned where your kid "ranks" once everyone has been through puberty.

I think kids should be allowed to "play up", but disagree on how significant it is ... especially at the ages of 5-7, or 4.8
                Last edited by CircleChange11; 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
                  I think it's the exact opposite.

I think there are dads here whose kids were hitting dad pitch overhand pitches at age 3 and those kids were significantly better than the 5yo kids when they were 5, many of whom have never touched a bat before ... and could have played with the 7U coach pitch players.

I think we're cautioning to not use that to mean something it doesn't.

If you play baseball with your kid daily at the pre-TBall ages, then the chances are high that they will be well above the other 5yo's since many of the kids never touch a bat before 1st practice. It's a shame, but it's reality.

I think the comments are more of a caution to not expect your kid to continue playing with kids a couple of years older than him.

I thought both of TG's kids played D1 baseball/softball, and my son has been through a similar experience as the kid in this thread. By age 10, all of the kids stop going into the outfield grass yelling "good hitter". I have a 4yo now who has spent his time following me and his older brother around. He, too, is far ahead of everyone else in his TBall league (including 6yo). Y'know what it means in the big picture? Simply that he's spent more time playing baseball than everyone else. It doesn't inherently mean "he's the one".

The disparity between the outstanding kid and everyone else gets smaller each year. That's what I was trying to prepare the dad for. It won;t be because he's not as dedicated as he used to be or that he doing something wrong or that he let off of the gas ... it'll simply be due to the other gets getting better and them having more room to improve.

When one guy tells another guy to take it down a notch or to calm it down a bit, it's not always because he's jealous. Sometimes guys that have been there before, simply know through experience, where things like "stating your kid's age in decimals" and "overly defending statements about playing up 2-3 years" is likely to lead.

Edit: It's also possible that I am misperceiving the situation.

As to the indoor baseball and blinds ... My son and I would have been sleeping in the front yard had we tried that.
                  I agree with this (a talented kid starting at 7 will soon catch a not so talented kid who trained since he was two).

however you should not mix correlation and causation. It is true that many early starters (good mechanics at early age) and early bloomers (big kids) do get caught somewhere along the way as they get older. however this is not because of "burning out" or losing the edge but because of natural talent.

that means the early training is not the source of failure. that kid would not be better if it started later. it is just that the head start masks an eventual lack of talent. but if a kid is the real deal he could rake at 5 and never look back. but the odds are against them of course.

and just like this many big early bloomers still became stars. I bet half of the MLB players were early bloomers. there are some small kids who overtook the early bloomers but most stay smaller.

so you might be very well right that this kid loses his edge soon (not hard to predict). but if he does there is nothing a coach or dad could do against it so we shouldn't blame them.
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post

I think kids should be allowed to "play up", but disagree on how significant it is ... especially at the ages of 5-7, or 4.8
                    It sort of getting crazy now. I think I posted my kid's swing when he was near 10 yo.

Now we have parents posting 4yo swing and want to see(seriously) what mechanic hole they can work on.

Comment

Originally posted by mcloven View Post
                      Brings back some memories. These were the blinds in my old house, from playing baseball with foam balls indoors (my wife just gave up fighting those battles).
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]113539[/ATTACH]
                      do american women tolerate this?
                      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

4.8 years old?

Highest average on the 7U team?

Who keeps track of this stuff?
                        The ones that build entire websites dedicated to their kids hitting ability.
                        http://www.littlebaseballplayer.com/index.html

Glad to see a kid and his father having fun, but but the appearance this gives is the dad looking for someone to "discover" his son.

Comment

Originally posted by jbolt_2000 View Post
                          The ones that build entire websites dedicated to their kids hitting ability.
                          http://www.littlebaseballplayer.com/index.html

Glad to see a kid and his father having fun, but but the appearance this gives is the dad looking for someone to "discover" his son.
                          Wow! Ant's baseball tips? LOL

Comment

Shame on the ones that are picking on him hes 5
                            , yes his aunt made him a site. His whole family is very proud of him.

For the moment yes he is playng beyond his years, will it last? who knows

But he's having a blast playing and as long as he keeps playing he can go as far as he wants.
                            Would you tell him Different ?

Comment

I don't see anyone picking the child and in all my years on this board I have never seen anyone do so.
                              I think the negative comments are towards the the overzealous parents.

Comment

I think you should get him a private trainer and agent.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X