No announcement yet.

Wiffle Ball Bat = Bat speed ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syidewayz ... Everything is aimed at an overzealous parent who is completely lacking in perspective. Your son plays for a team sponsored by the Giants at age 4.8? BFD. It doesn't mean a thing. You can impress your friends who don't know anything about baseball. I genuinely hope your son doesn't become a victim of your delusion. Your son doesn't get to go as far as he wants. At some point the game of baseball will tell him he doesn't get to go further. It even happens to MLB'ers. For most kids it happens before high school.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
      Syidewayz ... Everything is aimed at an overzealous parent who is completely lacking in perspective. Your son plays for a team sponsored by the Giants at age 4.8? BFD. It doesn't mean a thing. You can impress your friends who don't know anything about baseball. I genuinely hope your son doesn't become a victim of your delusion. Your son doesn't get to go as far as he wants. At some point the game of baseball will tell him he doesn't get to go further. It even happens to MLB'ers. For most kids it happens before high school.
      I think your misunderstanding what type of team Jr Ginats is it.

Theres a whole leauge here in the bay area thats sponsored by the Giants, its a program for for all ages and levels of play.

it was in response to someone who had said he didnt play t ball.

His first team was 7u Coach pitch "Official Cal Ripken League", after the season the jr giant program has T-ball for 5-7 yr olds. its a free program.

I was just stating that he did play T-ball.

Of course hes not going to move up to the next level (8-9 kid pitch) Yet. Instead of doing 2 years of "Official Cal Ripken League " T-Ball
      He was moved to Coach pitch So he will be there 3-4 years total. until He is 8

Comment

Originally posted by syidewayz View Post
        Shame on the ones that are picking on him hes 5
        , yes his aunt made him a site. His whole family is very proud of him.
        No one is picking on him. Little Anty didn't start his own website. LA isn't on here boasting that he plays 7U coach pitch at age 4.8, and on and on. Like most kids, he just likes to play baseball.

Most families are proud of their kids/nieces/nephews, etc. Very few create websites for their kindergarten aged athletes.

For the moment yes he is playing beyond his years, will it last? who knows
        Actually, he's not. Coach pitch in our town is ages 4-7 ... and I don't view us as being anything ultra-special. IMHO, there is no reason for a kid to hit off a tee in a game. Ever. I think 4-5 should, at the very least, be machine pitch. Get the coaches off the mound. Use a machine to set the standard, let the coaches coach the players to the standard.

But he's having a blast playing and as long as he keeps playing he can go as far as he wants.
        Would you tell him Different ?
        Nobody is saying anything even remotely close to that.

An adult started a website that makes statements about a 30-lb 4yo having incredible power because they hit a tennis ball 90 feet. Among kids that play baseball quite a bit, I doubt that's an incredible feat. It's a shame more kids aren't doing it because IMO many could with enough attention. They just don't get the attention. Unfortunately again, too many dads at that age are only interesting in coaching their kid and/or showing their own kid off.

There's being proud of your kid and talking about his performance. At times there's even bragging because you're so proud of your kid you can't keep it inside. Then, there's just being obnoxious about it. I've been all three at times on the internet, but try to avoid the latter whenever possible.

Somebody have Little Ant help an adult clean up the yard. *big-joking-grin*

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post

Actually, he's not. Coach pitch in our town is ages 4-7 ... and I don't view us as being anything ultra-special. IMHO, there is no reason for a kid to hit off a tee in a game. Ever. I think 4-5 should, at the very least, be machine pitch. Get the coaches off the mound. Use a machine to set the standard, let the coaches coach the players to the standard.

Wow, Lol just because your League plays 4-7 together means, nothing

This kid is advance for his age, have you seen him play? No.

This kid is 5 yrs old, Weighs 32 lbs, please check and see how small that is, hes a runt the size of a 3 yr old, wears 3T clothing.

This runt plays as hard as his 10 yr old 90 lb Giants of a brother, Everything big brother he tries to do better.

You can see them side by side here......... Maybe not in your League but in our Leagues he is advanced for his age, sorry. Most T Ballers aren't throwing down a 60ft base path.
          Last edited by syidewayz; 08-22-2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Last Winter My son played indoor wiffle for over a month straight , didn't touch his game Bat at all,
            after going back outdoors his swing looked much faster and balls were flying further than before.

Any Science To This?

Poly balls were used Pitch speed was 40 mph from 25 feet.

In my sons eyes he wasn't practicing he plays "inside Games" Living room ball , Couch pillows as bases (Thank god The Wife loves baseball) LoL

He Was 4 yrs Old in the Video he's now 5 playing on 7u.
            I'm not sure that you can associate the increased bat speed of your son with doing wiffleball batting practice during the winter. Since he was only 4, a few months of growth could account for the increased bat speed. For example, lets say he played the same amount indoors during winter with his regular bat. Could have gotten the same improvement. Just my 2 cents.

As for the "other" topic that is being discussed. I first thought I'd leave it alone, but since I've got some time on my hands, here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

syide, here's my perspective. It's hard to judge a person through a few forum posts, but it's human nature to do so. If you post a question like does wiffle bat training help bat speed, or how can I help improve my son's swing, red flag raise where you add information that has nothing to do with the question. He started u7 coach pitch at 4.8. "Still had the Higest Avrage on the team, struck out Twice in 18 Games 3 At bats per Game." This additional information doesn't serve to get your question answered. What objective is there to insert this extra info? Since it doesn't serve the question, it seems to only exist to brag about your son, which can turn some people off.

I truly believe that the people posting red flag warnings have your child's best interests in mind. Take what advice makes sense to you, and ignore for now what doesn't.

PS Another red flag for me is someone posts a question and doesn't seem that interested in getting it answered. Every subsequent post you made in this thread has fun brag points (don't get me wrong, I have nothing against parents being proud of their kids), which makes me think the fun brag points are more important than actually getting an answer to your question. I hope this post doesn't come across as too abrasive, I only post it to help ya out. I figure you're just a loving dad that is REALLY proud of your son. And with that, I hope you and your son enjoy the journey for years to come!
            Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

I had to learn the hard way of trying to relive my childhood through my oldest son. I totally ruined him in baseball.

I'm comfortable now with accepting my 3rd oldest son giving up sports if he so desires. Right now we are enjoying the ride.

To all Dad's of young kids below the age of 8; Keep the game of baseball fun and be patient.

There is so much more time you will have with your son but also there is so much more time that something may interefere with his love for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
                4.8 years old?

I would temper it now ... and I'd also stop using decimals with your kids age.
                4.8 is precisely 4 years, 9 months and 18 days. He had better look at the calendar before posting. (Sorry couldn't resist.)
                Hey watch the first vid..the kid worked a pretty good at bat!

Comment

Syide ... If you only understood how irrelevant the stuff you're saying really is. You don't even know what you don't know which is pure ignorance. Other than you who cares that a kid under five years old is ahead of the curve. I could train a monkey to be a better baseball player than most five years. But he's not going to improve and maintain that advantage. By the time my son was seven people were telling me I wouldn't have to worry about paying for college based on my son's athletic abilities. I thanked them and tried not to laugh at their ignorance. I kept saving for college.

Comment

Syide ... If you only understood how irrelevant the stuff you're saying really is. You don't even know what you don't know which is pure ignorance. Other than you who cares that a kid under five years old is ahead of the curve. I could train a monkey to be a better baseball player than most five years. But he's not going to improve and maintain that advantage. By the time my son was seven people were telling me I wouldn't have to worry about paying for college based on my son's athletic abilities. I thanked them and tried not to laugh at their ignorance. I kept saving for college.
                    I always love listening to people say "My 10 year old is on All-Stars". Or the ones who talk about the 8 year old who throws really hard. Point is, you don't really know how good a kid is going to be until he hits 16-17. There are many who leave baseball before then, but the ones who are less than truly dedicated don't continue past that age.

Puberty is a huge equalizer. I'm appalled that people would say (when a kid is 7) "Don't bother saving for college".

How many of those pre-teen standouts are playing at high school or above?

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                      I always love listening to people say "My 10 year old is on All-Stars". Or the ones who talk about the 8 year old who throws really hard. Point is, you don't really know how good a kid is going to be until he hits 16-17. There are many who leave baseball before then, but the ones who are less than truly dedicated don't continue past that age.

Puberty is a huge equalizer. I'm appalled that people would say (when a kid is 7) "Don't bother saving for college".

My son didn't make to all-star until he was 10, he started playing pinto league when he was 6yo. For nearly 4 years he would be drafted near the very end. We had a couple very good TB teams of his age in our area. Those were the perennial all stars that once made to the west zone. They were like heroes that my son looked up to. Now there were only a couple of those players remained as my son's teammates. Most of them have quit.

Comment

Exactly.....

Comment

My son's 9U travel team had the Fab4. I would cringe at the tag since my son was one of the four. Relative to being nine, two of them could bring it from the rubber and crush baseballs. The other two were very good line drive hitters with great speed. My son was so fast relative to the age if he bunted no one was going to throw him out. One of these kids made LL all-stars at twelve. Three played into middle school. Only one played high school ball. The two that could bring it grew to be 5'9" and 5'10." One of the fast kids grew to be 5'7".

I asked the mother of one of the bashers where they would send him to high school. I was only asking because he was in a Catholic K-8 and his dad had been a stud basketball player at the neighboring high school and was an assistant coach. The mother told me the kid would go to the private that offered the best athletic scholarship. The kid wasn't playing one sport by high school. While he was a great shot in basketball (what coach's kid isn't?) he was a lead foot and had trouble running the court and getting open in middle school.

The only time I ever think back on the Fab4 is when someone makes a delusional post about preteen. All I think back on LL is I made some great friends of parents during all-stars and a handful of game moments when someone mentions LL.

Comment

I ran travel teams for three years (13U, 14U and 16U). We didn't ahve tryouts. We handpicked players. We would get approached by parents asking if their kid could get on our team. If I didn't know who they are and asked about them I would get the ... "He's been an all-star since tee ball." I never cared. I only cared how they were now and their potential upside.

The "don't need to save for college" was more of a compliment on my son's athletic ability than advice. But t was absurd. We saved anyway. My daughter did play college softball and receive a 75% ride. My son has a 75% ride. It's 25% athletic and 50% academic. We emphasized fitness and education in our house with a heavy emphasis on education. My daughter always joked any bumper sticker on our car would say, "My kids better make honor roll, or else." One time in elementary school my son didn't have his homework done in time for practice. I made him sit in the dugout, do his homework, then watch the rest of practice. It never happened again.

Comment

I know of one
                              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Wow, Lol just because your League plays 4-7 together means, nothing
                                I brought it up because we can't be the only 15K community that has 4, 5, 6, 7 yo playing coach pitch together. In other words, in some areas it's not "playing up". That was my only point.

You can see them side by side here......... Maybe not in your League but in our Leagues he is advanced for his age, sorry. Most T Ballers aren't throwing down a 60ft base path.
                                Both of my boys are/were in the same situation. Either you and I are the absolute IT in regards to genetic contributions to the world, or there are talented/experienced kids at this age all over the place ... some have yet to be discovered because no one has worked with them.

I am more than willing to admit that me and my sons are the pinnacle of manhood, if others wish to anoint us with that title. I'll try to be humble, but will accept the label if I have to. *grin* I'm even willing to wear a "Pinnacle of Manhood" t-shirt if you all deem that I should.

My just-turned 11yo swung and missed in a game for the first time during 9yo LLAS, and gave up his first hit to the OF this year. I recall these two events because the WTF look on his face was priceless ... as if he was never going to swing and miss or give up a real hit. At age 8 I had him try out for a 10U team, just so he could have his arse handed to him, to teach him that he's going to have to work to be good. It backfired a bit because he held his own at the tryout and the only significant difference was running speed.

My just turned 5yo at the kindergarten screening counted to 100, named all of his letters and their primary sounds, and identified 20 sight words. In other words, in pre-k screening, he "finished kindergarten". The stuff my 10yo was doing on the baseball field at 5, he's doing at 4. I bring this up because I haven't done anything with him. He plays ball with his brother and he plays "school" with his 8yo sister. My first inclination would be to think that I need to call Stanford and tell them to reserve him a scholarship for 2025. But, really, he's just gotten a lot more attention that other kids his age get. I don't need to make a website for him or have him move up grades and jump levels. He's going to likely do well in school and sports, not because of what level he plays at or what grade he is, but because of the environment/attention at home.

I find it very unfortunate that so few kids get to experience an environment like this. The most impressive kid I have seen at my son's age is his friend Antonio. Antonio is a fellow Presidential Award winner, only his dad isn't an Administrator, but a prisoner. His mom isn't a school teacher, she's absent. He doesn't have older siblings that guide him, he has younger siblings that he takes care of. Society will call my kids gifted and talented because they thrive in an environment where they're given every advantage imaginable. I find kids like Antonio to be the real deal, because he's doing it with almost every obstacle imaginable.

I get it that your kid is good at baseball, so are mine. I guess that's where I was hoping to connect with you personally and let you know "It's not that big of a deal." I say that as one who used to be a pitching coach and whose kid made me look "very smart" on a number of occasions and in large crowd settings ... and I'm still saying it's not that big of a deal. What will/would be a big deal is if he's 16yo and playing very well alongside 17yo and 18yo ... but that's so far away that I'm looking to just enjoy each day before he gets his driver's license and decides I'm not cool enough to hang out with anymore.

I do admit that having a kid that can hang with kids 2-3 years older than them is pretty cool. But I'm also saying that it doesn't inherently mean what you might think it means. It could just mean "he's practiced more than everyone else", so take it slow. I'm not saying your kid is stupid or not that great.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X