7u Back handing ground balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7u Back handing ground balls

My son and I for the first time since spring got on the field today and actually hit some infield. He seemed to be much more sharp just from growing and maturing. I hit ground balls to his non glove side and he's totally went goofy on how he's trying to backhand a ball. Its almost like he's trying to kill a roach.

Any ideas on how to get a (very tough to coach) 7yr old back on track backhanding grounders the correct way?

Show him what you want him to do, then roll him grounders...

Comment

Originally posted by clayadams View Post
      Show him what you want him to do, then roll him grounders...
      THIS. And roll them very slowly at first so he's almost doing it in slow motion. And then just pick up the pace.

Comment

The 1st thing I would get him to do is get comfortable stopping balls I roll with his glovehand foot. That will help him start to get that crossover step footwork down. Once he has that he should be able to just start reaching down and picking the ball in front of that foot

Comment

If you're going to instruct him you must know how to crossover and plant. When possible, a good fielder is planted when he gloves the ball. It may be a bit much for a seven year old.

Comment

No point in trying to give piecemeal textual advice on a complicated subject. Best $35 you'll spend over the next 10 years of your son's career is to NOW buy the Stubbs Infielding DVD, which has been lauded by many here. It efficiently but accurately breaks down each move a player will make to catch every kind of ground ball, along with everything else a kid needs to know to play infield.

You can look at a schmaltzy promotional video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liEw4KAouzg The video clip doesn't do justice to the DVD, but it gives you a small sense of what they teach.

You can order the video here: https://secure.itinio.com/collegebas...&faq=Y&coach=Y
            sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

If you have NetFlix I believe there's a Ripken video on fielding. I've never seen it. I don't know if it covers crossovers.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                If you have NetFlix I believe there's a Ripken video on fielding. I've never seen it. I don't know if it covers crossovers.
                what does the crossover thing mean? the step when you throw?
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                  what does the crossover thing mean? the step when you throw?
                  The crossover is when you cross your gloveside foot over your throwing side foot

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X