Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing Mechanics

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Throwing Mechanics

    This is my son. He just turned 8. I'm not sure how info you can get from the pics, but I'm looking for feedback on his throwing mechanics. He will start pitching some next year and I want him to be as sound mechanically as possible. These are outfield throws to home.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    The last pic
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      erase12.JPG

      Most kids already have their front elbow down at this point. Yours is doing the right thing.
      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by songtitle View Post
        [ATTACH]113895[/ATTACH]

        Most kids already have their front elbow down at this point. Yours is doing the right thing.
        yes, I really like that position. hips open and the arm still back.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

        Comment


        • #5
          Coletrain - Great pics. When were they taken. I coached the kid in line right behind your son (in the first pic) last spring and he played on my sons allstar team this summer. Small world.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alanj View Post
            Coletrain - Great pics. When were they taken. I coached the kid in line right behind your son (in the first pic) last spring and he played on my sons allstar team this summer. Small world.
            Thanks! These were taking at the Braves Classic the 4th of this month. The Atlanta Braves and Bank of America put it on. This is from the Golden Arm throwing contest for the 8U.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah ok. We were there. That expains how the other young man is in line. Do you guys play at Oregon Park? How did your son do?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Alanj View Post
                Yeah ok. We were there. That expains how the other young man is in line. Do you guys play at Oregon Park? How did your son do?

                We play in south GA. Close to Savannah. He won the contest. They had to hit a cornhole board from center field. He hit it 2 out of 3 times in a throw off. Very fun tournament!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Congrats to your son for the great job he did to win the challenge. My son said that tournement was the one that was the most fun for the whole Allstar season. It was even better than Miss.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It looks good for his age. When an outfielder makes a hard throw he should follow through as if he would fall on his face. Otherwise he loses velocity.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Coletrain, always good to hear from you... especially since I'm a huge John Coltrane fan and anything that is reminiscent of Trane gets me smilin'! It would help to see what gets him from the 2nd to the 3rd frame, as most kids that age bring their hand straight back like a javelin thrower (wrong) rather than bringing it down and around like they're winding a clock counter-clockwise. But everything else looks good - especially his intensity -- and the results indicate he's got something good going.

                      As far as him becoming a pitcher, it's really hard to tell from a few frames, but I'd pay attention to his apparent tendency to drop his back shoulder, as that may lead to loopy, high pitches. But that's pretty much a guess based on very little evidence. But, he's solid enough now that just letting him throw and develop his instinctive body mechanics will probably get him most of the way there. Looks like you'll have a very fun journey; I envy you.
                      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ursa Major View Post
                        Coletrain, always good to hear from you... especially since I'm a huge John Coltrane fan and anything that is reminiscent of Trane gets me smilin'! It would help to see what gets him from the 2nd to the 3rd frame, as most kids that age bring their hand straight back like a javelin thrower (wrong) rather than bringing it down and around like they're winding a clock counter-clockwise. But everything else looks good - especially his intensity -- and the results indicate he's got something good going.

                        As far as him becoming a pitcher, it's really hard to tell from a few frames, but I'd pay attention to his apparent tendency to drop his back shoulder, as that may lead to loopy, high pitches. But that's pretty much a guess based on very little evidence. But, he's solid enough now that just letting him throw and develop his instinctive body mechanics will probably get him most of the way there. Looks like you'll have a very fun journey; I envy you.
                        Thanks Ursa! I got my nick name in high school from one of my coaches (real name is John Coleman). He was a John Coltrane fan. My teammates thought he was talking about Rosco P. Coltrane! LOL My son does bring the ball down and around when he throws. We are full blast into 8U football right now, but plan on a little pitching practice when it gets over.

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X