Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabrera and Colon:Penalties

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cabrera and Colon:Penalties

    Ok, these guys cheated. They were good and their cheating led to wins. Shouldn't the penalty be along the lines of having the team forfeit 5 games or something? You could just change their record by 5-the losses wouldn't have to be against anybody specifically. This would end the problem. Teams, themselves would be forced to do a little testing.

    Obviously, the way it stands now, players still think they can beat the system with masking agents, timing procedures, etc.

    In the Olympics if you get caught cheating you get suspended and you lose your results. Ditto for Lance Armstrong.

    It still rankles me that the big reason the Red Sox ended the "curse" is that Manny and Papi were juicing. I suspect that another team has a couple of sluggers coming out of nowhere who are juicing, too.

    I can't believe that the A's are still paying Colon incentives for benchmarks that he reached this year. Unbelievable! And Melky, with his All-Star MVP. Please.
    Major Figure

  • #2
    Lance Armstrong isn't losing his medals yet. The USADA and UCI are at odds over jurisdiction.

    As for Cabrera and Colon, their contracts should be declared null and void and any evidence of them playing this year should be stricken from the books. That includes every win they were in the lineup is forfeited to the opposing team. That would stop a lot of nonsense, but it will happen when hell freezes over.

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree. the teams can only win if a player uses steroids. he wins games for them and if they get caught only the player is banned but the wins stand.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

      Comment


      • #4
        Kind of ridiculous to penalize the team... There's too many variants...

        1) Guy juices in the offseason, then gets caught before season starts... does the team start the season w/5 losses? That's stupid.

        They got it right with the 50 games/No salary...
        I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
          1) Guy juices in the offseason, then gets caught before season starts... does the team start the season w/5 losses? That's stupid.
          Of course it's stupid. He wasn't in the lineup so he didn't impact any games. Why would the team start with 5 losses?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
            Kind of ridiculous to penalize the team... There's too many variants...

            1) Guy juices in the offseason, then gets caught before season starts... does the team start the season w/5 losses? That's stupid.

            They got it right with the 50 games/No salary...
            What I wrote does not apply to off season.
            Major Figure

            Comment


            • #7
              You can't penalize the teams because the team owners are the one's who would be doing the penalizing...

              Shooting your self in the foot hurts, so I've been told.

              Comment


              • #8
                Then you gotta strip the World series Titles From The A's of 1989/90.

                Canseco and Big Mac were Jucied and god knows who else on the team.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by syidewayz View Post
                  Then you gotta strip the World series Titles From The A's of 1989/90.

                  Canseco and Big Mac were Jucied and god knows who else on the team.
                  Were steroids even against the rules back then? I thought the commissioner didn't rule steroids against the rules until the early 90s

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bryan2137 View Post
                    Were steroids even against the rules back then? I thought the commissioner didn't rule steroids against the rules until the early 90s
                    Steroids have always been illegal. They just started "testing" for them more recently.

                    Many people, including players, translated "not tested" for meaning "okay to use". I suppose there's some logic in that.

                    The problem with "progressive" penalties like MLB is using is that it is "worth it" for players to use PEDs to get a big contract, ala Gary Matthews Jr. So, if they're suspended for 50 games and revery back to poor performance, they still keep all of the guaranteed money.

                    If a positive test could be used as grounds to void the contract, return the signing bonus and guaranteed money, as well as, a possible lifetime ban ... usage might not be worth it to many players.

                    50-game suspensions don;t seem to be a huge reason not to use.

                    I also think you set up a testing system where every player is tested weekly unannounced. There have been stories/accounts of some guys being "randomly selected" far more than others, such as Jose Bautista.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CircleChange11 View Post
                      ...There have been stories/accounts of some guys being "randomly selected" far more than others, such as Jose Bautista.
                      Doubling homer output might be another reason http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ncared01.shtml
                      Major Figure

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by omg View Post
                        Doubling homer output might be another reason http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ncared01.shtml
                        Well yeah, I figured that was more than obvious.

                        But when we look at the list of guys that have been busted for PEDs, the majority aren't "Double their HR" type guys. I'm saying everyone needs tested regularly not just the ones that set off everyone's alarms.

                        If MLB said "well yeah we tested him more often, he doubled his HRs and turned into one of the best hitters in baseball from Sept 2009 to present", then it'd at least be honest. Having random selection and having the "alarm setter offer" get tested far more than everyone else is just dishonest.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I still feel they should suspend those caught for life... It would end the problem.
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X