Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
    Heineken,

I wouldn't worry too much about your team and/or the tournaments you'll be playing in, if you have a half way decent rec. ball team.

Seven or eight years ago now, we signed up (yes, that's all you had to do) our 10U rec. ball, "B" All-Star team (PONY baseball sanctioned, so they were already playing "open bases") for the USSSA "AA World Series", that was being held at a Field Of Dreams in our area, just to get some games under our belt, before we started sanction play.

I was a bit skeptical like you, about going in and getting our butts handed to us on a platter, but out of the 12 teams there, we ended up placing 3rd, and losing in our last two games.....to the eventual tournament champion (our worse lose at 14-4) and the runner-up (a well established TB team out of Las Vegas, 8-1), basically because we ran out of pitching, due to the tournament format (oh, and I guess our roster ).

The kids had a blast at the tournament, running around between games, exchanging pins with kids from all over, playing video games in the air-conditioned restaurant/snack stand that over look all of the fields.....that also sell beer; NOT GOOD!!

By our final game on Sunday, some of the dads from our team (who before, seemed like pretty good guys), after drinking all day long.....by the time our final game started at almost 7:00PM (the championship game started after 9:00 in you can believe that :dismay, a couple of these dads became belligerent A-holes.

Who, while sitting in the front row just above us on the field, decided it would be good to share with the coaching staff, just what terrible coaches we were and how they thought we should be running the team.....this was from the same couple of guys who had praised us, as if we walked on water a couple hours earlier, for the bringing this "B" all-star team as far as we did, to get them in the semi-final game, after only two weeks of practice, when facing mostly TB teams that had been together for a long, long time (there was another All-Star team that we played).

Dang near turned into a fight, as some of our other parents started going back at them for their embarrassing behavior....not a pretty sight. So, one last recommendation, don't EVER play at a field or in a tournament that allows open drinking for the parents. Some are not mature enough to handle it.

Don't know how I sorta got off track and hijacked my own post, but unfortunately for myself, that was the real memory I took away from the event....fortunately, the kids were having a great time playing under the lights on a big league park replica field, and didn't know it was even happening. Thankfully......
    Reminds me of the good old days at the BLD fields. Dirt infield, portable mounds and of course the intoxicated fans.

Comment

Coach the tournament to learn. It will be a learning experience for the players and the coaching staff. You may want to have a parents only meeting to lower expectations and help them understand what it might be to jump off the end of the dock for the first time. Emphasize how the negatives can be positives towards growth. If parents come in with expectations and the team gets hammered you could lose players.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
        IMO way too much emphasis on results/performance in this thread.
        Coach the process. A good theme for the season would be resilience. Both individual and team.
        Coaching the process works at all ages. From 7u to MLB.
        I agree. however there is also the psychological aspect. If you get crushed in every game the kids might lose interest in playing and parents might be all over you.

of course you are correct that it should be about having fun and learning fundamentals rather than winning but those kids are just humans with emotions. you have to learn dealing with losses but getting crushed over and over again is not going to motivate them. thus it is important to chose the right level of competition.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
          I agree. however there is also the psychological aspect. If you get crushed in every game the kids might lose interest in playing and parents might be all over you.

of course you are correct that it should be about having fun and learning fundamentals rather than winning but those kids are just humans with emotions. you have to learn dealing with losses but getting crushed over and over again is not going to motivate them. thus it is important to chose the right level of competition.
          Don't you feel there is something wrong with an adult-led activity "crushing" children??
          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
            Don't you feel there is something wrong with an adult-led activity "crushing" children??
            There is a mercy rule. No crushing allowed.
            Last edited by Jake Patterson; 09-06-2012, 04:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Comment

well in my first season we were mercy ruled in almost every game. I was not really a kid anymore but it definitely didn't feel good. your team hits for 3 minutes and then you stand in the field for 30 minutes trying to make some plays, watching 100 BBs and errors. this repeats 3 times and the game is over.

I know there is a mercy rule but still a 30-1 loss in 3 innings really sucks.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
                There is a mercy rule. No crushing allowed.
                I feel the mercy rule is there typically because of adults who feel the need to "crush" other teams.

Comment

I feel the mercy rule is there typically because of adults who feel the need to "crush" other teams.
                  Its there to preserve time limits in tournaments and for teams to preserve their pitchers' arms.

Comment

Its there to preserve time limits in tournaments and for teams to preserve their pitchers' arms.
                    While I agree, these reasons, in my opinion, are not the primary reasons. Adults can dictate time and the number of pitches a child throws... I don't want to change the OP's intent.... but when we talk of a 10U game like it's a high school or college game... then IMHO - we have a problem.

Comment

While I agree, these reasons, in my opinion, are not the primary reasons. Adults can dictate time and the number of pitches a child throws... I don't want to change the OP's intent.... but when we talk of a 10U game like it's a high school or college game... then IMHO - we have a problem.
                      Agree. But HS and NCAA both have mercy rules. For what reasons?

Comment

Agree. But HS and NCAA both have mercy rules. For what reasons?
                        Having coached school ball for 25 seasons (basketball and baseball) I feel it's mostly about time.... They are students first and typically play in the late afternoon.
                        BUT - without it there are coaches who would crush other teams every team they could...

Comment

Having coached school ball for 25 seasons (basketball and baseball) I feel it's mostly about time.... They are students first and typically play in the late afternoon.
                          BUT - without it there are coaches who would crush other teams every team they could...
                          Yes there are. We got hammered 20-0 in a championship game last spring. Thanks to the mercy rule it only lasted three innings. If it had gone six it might have been 35-0 the way their guy was pitching. But our kids were no worse for the wear..they knew they ran into a buzzsaw that day. That team went on to a successful run at the Elites. Their coaches were pretty intent on showing everyone what their team was capable of. Nothing wrong with that but you gotta respect the game and not argue every little call like its the finals of the Elites. When we get a big lead we don't steal, bunt, the parents quiet down and clap quietly for both teams etc.

Comment

Sometimes there's nothing you can do to keep the score down. Sometimes there are teams involved that don't belong in tournaments. Once after leading 18-0 after one in a 10U tournament I asked if the other team would like to forfeit and pick up sides. I made the offer again at 34-0 after two. The final was 56-2 after three. I played kids out of position. I let non pitchers pitch. I had kids switch hit as long as they didn't clown around. Even in 13U we beat a team 22-0. They were Babe Ruth 13U state champions. We got them in the third game after they used their two good pitchers. Rec all-star teams can win any one game with a stud pitcher. But they don't have the depth to compete in a tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                              Rec all-star teams can win any one game with a stud pitcher. But they don't have the depth to compete in a tournament.
                              Hmmm, our "B" All-Star team took 3rd in our first tournament, the USSSA "10U World Series".....with the 7th through the 12th "best" pitchers from our "rec. league" (not a single "stud" on the roster). Our "A" team would have cleaned up ridiculously at the tourney......

Now granted, it was only a "AA" tournament, but of the 12 teams, 9 were TB teams that had been playing together for at least that entire season, if not several others before it.....we had been together for two weeks.

Heineken, at 10U.....there really aren't that many "studs" out there; throw the ball across the plate, and "play ball!!". Don't worry you'll be fine.....and anyway, at that age, wins and loses don't really matter as much as simply making it a learning, memorable, and most importantly, a fun experience for all of them.

Best of luck....keep us posted,
                              mud -
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                                Hmmm, our "B" All-Star team took 3rd in our first tournament, the USSSA "10U World Series".....with the 7th through the 12th "best" pitchers from our "rec. league" (not a single "stud" on the roster). Our "A" team would have cleaned up ridiculously at the tourney......

Now granted, it was only a "AA" tournament, but of the 12 teams, 9 were TB teams that had been playing together for at least that entire season, if not several others before it.....we had been together for two weeks.

Heineken, at 10U.....there really aren't that many "studs" out there; throw the ball across the plate, and "play ball!!". Don't worry you'll be fine.....and anyway, at that age, wins and loses don't really matter as much as simply making it a learning, memorable, and most importantly, a fun experience for all of them.

Best of luck....keep us posted,
                                mud -
                                AA travel is like high end rec..you're right. If that's what HM is playing he should be ok. There are studs out there even in rec..we picked up a kid last year who played up at 10u rec the year before at 9...we saw maybe one first baseman the whole season with better defensive skills. HM we want to hear how you do. Everyone is here to help you and help each other ultimately!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X