Travel Crash Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
    Sometimes there's nothing you can do to keep the score down.
    I agree, but I do not feel it's there because of the coaces would tries to manage the score, plays his bench, make it as good a learning experience for both sides as he can, etc..
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
      AA travel is like high end rec..you're right. If that's what HM is playing he should be ok. There are studs out there even in rec..we picked up a kid last year who played up at 10u rec the year before at 9...we saw maybe one first baseman the whole season with better defensive skills. HM we want to hear how you do. Everyone is here to help you and help each other ultimately!
      One of the top pitchers in the coutry at 12u this past season had played nothing but rec until the 2012 season. He went in for lessons at an academy that has one of the top programs in the country and got snatched up. This program I won't mention by name does one thing I respect. I hate their coaches, but they don't charge kids to play that can't afford it. Their teams basically make for top notch advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
        AA travel is like high end rec..you're right. If that's what HM is playing he should be ok. There are studs out there even in rec..we picked up a kid last year who played up at 10u rec the year before at 9...we saw maybe one first baseman the whole season with better defensive skills. HM we want to hear how you do. Everyone is here to help you and help each other ultimately!
        Hey "rap" I know what you're saying, but I was speaking of just 10U "studs" altogether, rec. ball, travel ball, or otherwise. I guess what I'm saying is that, "it's all relative".....I really don't believe that there are any 10 year olds that I'd ever considered baseball "studs".

Sure, there might be some that are much better than the 10 years olds chasing butterflies in the outfield, or the poor kid who when he throws, the ball travels all of about 20 feet in the air, or the one who finally foul tips the ball off the end his bat, who then beams over at his parents with the biggest, proudest of all smiles, as if he had just hit it out of the park......

Yeah, there are some that are a lot better than that.....but all-in-all, they are all still a long, long way away in their baseball skills at that age, to be what I would consider a "stud". Not saying that there's not one or two out there somewhere, I'm just saying that in my opinion or evaluation, I haven't seen one.....

Now a couple of real "polished" 13/14 year olds, with the size, talent, and maturity of some young college players? Yeah, seen a couple of them, and would start to call them "studs"; but none before that......but again, that's simply my opinion. So, eh.....
        In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Roothog66 View Post
          This program I won't mention by name does one thing I respect. I hate their coaches, but they don't charge kids to play that can't afford it. Their teams basically make for top notch advertising.
          Hahaha, I know what you mean. I understand that there's a "top notch academy" here in SoCal, that not only doesn't "charge kids to play that can't afford it, they don't charge their "top" players period.....for basically the same reason, "advertising".

In this past June MLB draft their top team had a 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder drafted directly out of HS, and another seven HS kids from the team drafted in the later rounds (for a total of 11 HS kids, and another 9 players from their college team) .....the remainder of the HS kids on the team not drafted, all received D1 scholarships.

Supposedly, the fees that they collect from the rest of the academy teams, pretty much fund their top two teams. I must say though, pretty impressive program to turn out those types of numbers.

(Note: I use "supposedly", because I've only heard that from a couple of players I coach(ed) over the years, who have played on that team, or for that academy, but I have not spoken to the academy directly. But that's as they say, "the word on the streets". )

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
            Hahaha, I know what you mean. I understand that there's a "top notch academy" here in SoCal, that not only doesn't "charge kids to play that can't afford it, they don't charge their "top" players period.....for basically the same reason, "advertising".

In this past June MLB draft their top team had a 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder drafted directly out of HS, and another seven HS kids from the team drafted in the later rounds (for a total of 11 HS kids, and another 9 players from their college team) .....the remainder of the HS kids on the team not drafted, all received D1 scholarships.

Supposedly, the fees that they collect from the rest of the academy teams, pretty much fund their top two teams. I must say though, pretty impressive program to turn out those types of numbers.

(Note: I use "supposedly", because I've only heard that from a couple of players I coach(ed) over the years, who have played on that team, or for that academy, but I have not spoken to the academy directly. But that's as they say, "the word on the streets". )
            Mud,

Does that Academy start with an A? If it does we played in a 14U tourney with their team last year. We watched them mercy a team with 6 HRs. They drew a pretty good sized crowd including myself. Men amongst boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
              Mud,

Does that Academy start with an A? If it does we played in a 14U tourney with their team last year. We watched them mercy a team with 6 HRs. They drew a pretty good sized crowd including myself. Men amongst boys.
              Maybe.....

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                Hmmm, our "B" All-Star team took 3rd in our first tournament, the USSSA "10U World Series".....with the 7th through the 12th "best" pitchers from our "rec. league" (not a single "stud" on the roster). Our "A" team would have cleaned up ridiculously at the tourney......

Now granted, it was only a "AA" tournament, but of the 12 teams, 9 were TB teams that had been playing together for at least that entire season, if not several others before it.....we had been together for two weeks.

Heineken, at 10U.....there really aren't that many "studs" out there; throw the ball across the plate, and "play ball!!". Don't worry you'll be fine.....and anyway, at that age, wins and loses don't really matter as much as simply making it a learning, memorable, and most importantly, a fun experience for all of them.

Best of luck....keep us posted,
                mud -
                I was speaking in terms of competitive majors tournaments. The AA level was mostly rec all-star teams. Our prospective 11/12 LL all-star team came in second in the AA league both years playing sixteen players equally and not using pitchers more than two innings.

Comment

I was speaking in terms of competitive majors tournaments. The AA level was mostly rec all-star teams. Our prospective 11/12 LL all-star team came in second in the AA league both years playing sixteen players equally and not using pitchers more than two innings.
                  Yeah, I think we're both trying to tell HM the same thing......at 10U, don't worry too much about the competition that much, they're all just basically "good" 10 year old ball players out there (even at the "majors" division, they just have a couple more of them, equals less holes in the lineup). At least that's all I was trying to point out.

Comment

Keep proper perspective…they’re 10 year olds playing a kid's game. Until they change the labor laws and spawn a professional league for 10U, it should be a combination of fun and development….the proper mix will facilitate everything else.

A few common sense points:

- Retire the bleacher coaches so the kids aren’t caught in the middle
                    - Stay positive and poised, especially in the darker moments….kids will take their cue from you
                    - Avoid using the umpires as an excuse….see above
                    - Don’t let “that” coach drag you into the swamp with him
                    - Remember, integrity trumps victory….see above
                    - Find/emphasize the positives, minimize the negatives
                    - Deflect/relieve pressure, don’t add to it
                    - Treat the last kid off the bench like the ace pitcher
                    - Grow a love for the game
                    - Plan, execute, evaluate, revise

Personal plea: Don’t burn a kid’s arm for a $5 piece of plastic or an ego boost

Personal plea #2: Do enjoy their youthful exuberance and the pleasure they take from the game….in the blink of an eye they’re grown and we’re reaching back into our recesses to recapture those moments

Comment

Add to personal pleas: They are not mini major leaguers no matter how nice are the uniforms. When they're home they're rolling in dirt having fun. They're kids. I coached 10U with a guy who sucked the fun out of it for everyone until the program canned him. It wasn't fun until he was gone. In fact, he got canned for walking out on the team trailing by fourteen runs in the second inning. We were a good team having a bad day. I told the kids have fun. I told them there would be no signs. Use common sense. I was surprised how much common sense a bunch of ten year olds displayed. We lost 17-15. Unfortunately we ran out of daylight as the opponent ran out of pitching. But the kids saw it as a win. They had fun. One kid told me he didn't try to steal bases because he was afraid I'd kill him if he was thrown out. I told him it wasn't fear. It was common sense. He knew getting thrown out while behind was not good strategy. If he knew he would be safe he would have gone.

Comment

One kid told me he didn't try to steal bases because he was afraid I'd kill him if he was thrown out. I told him it wasn't fear. It was common sense. He knew getting thrown out while behind was not good strategy. If he knew he would be safe he would have gone.
                        Excellent coaching right there!! That's what it's all about. :applaud:

Comment

Originally posted by marklaker View Post
                          Keep proper perspective…they’re 10 year olds playing a kid's game. Until they change the labor laws and spawn a professional league for 10U, it should be a combination of fun and development….the proper mix will facilitate everything else.

A few common sense points:

- Retire the bleacher coaches so the kids aren’t caught in the middle
                          - Stay positive and poised, especially in the darker moments….kids will take their cue from you
                          - Avoid using the umpires as an excuse….see above
                          - Don’t let “that” coach drag you into the swamp with him
                          - Remember, integrity trumps victory….see above
                          - Find/emphasize the positives, minimize the negatives
                          - Deflect/relieve pressure, don’t add to it
                          - Treat the last kid off the bench like the ace pitcher
                          - Grow a love for the game
                          - Plan, execute, evaluate, revise

Personal plea: Don’t burn a kid’s arm for a $5 piece of plastic or an ego boost

Personal plea #2: Do enjoy their youthful exuberance and the pleasure they take from the game….in the blink of an eye they’re grown and we’re reaching back into our recesses to recapture those moments
                          I really appreciate all of this. We have some nice coaches. I don't think they'll be a problem. The parents are another story.

I haven't figured out the pitching. My general approach is that I'm not going to pitch a kid both days if he throws more than two innings on the first day. And I'm not going to pitch a kid twice in one day. If that means losing a game with a mediocre pitcher, I'm okay with that. I hope this is the approach to take. I hope I'm not being too careful.

Comment

To clarify,"that" coach refers to an opposing manager who will go to great and often unsavory lengths to win.

Comment

Originally posted by marklaker View Post
                              To clarify,"that" coach refers to an opposing manager who will go to great and often unsavory lengths to win.
                              A lot of travel coaches will do anything to run rule their opponent to preserve their own pitching for Sunday. We had a team up On us by 9 runs, runner on 3rd no outs 4th inning. He puts on the suicide squeeze to run rule us. Expect it, but take it with a grain of salt and move on.

Comment

HM do you use gamechanger or some other ipad based app to score your games? GC is really User friendly...we have been using it for nearly 200 games and were one of their first clients. It really helps for piitch count purposes and checking strike percentages during the games.
                                https://www.gamechanger.io/home

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X