Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another hitting device...your thoughts??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another hitting device...your thoughts??

    What do you think of this? It looks like it reinforces what most professional hitting coaches teach.

    http://rbiproswing.com/landing/#!prettyPhoto


    SC

  • #2
    Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post
    What do you think of this? It looks like it reinforces what most professional hitting coaches teach.

    http://rbiproswing.com/landing/#!prettyPhoto


    SC
    Same thing as putting a case that tennis balls come in over the head of your bat and swinging so that it comes off the bat at 11:00 position (12 being right directly in front of you)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by $tinky View Post
      Same thing as putting a case that tennis balls come in over the head of your bat and swinging so that it comes off the bat at 11:00 position (12 being right directly in front of you)
      But a tennis ball can over the head of the bat doesn't have the endorsement of Rusty Greer.

      Comment


      • #4
        I was really hoping for more responses, because this device supports how the swing is being taught in the vast majority of cases at the college and professional levels. I have enough contacts even at the pro level and have talked to several minor league and major league hitting coaches who (I'm sure) would think this device would be great. THis is because they teach hands/knob directly down to the ball. Then they show me the path with their hands straight down through the ball. I ask them how does the barrel then get on plane with the pitch. After a pause, they say something like John Mabry (asst. hitting coach for Cardinals under Mark McGwire) said, "Once the hands move down, they will just take over getting the barrel on plane." Not sure what that means, except that the common thread in the coaches I have talked to is the path needs to be straight down and they are not really sure how the barrel gets on plane. Of course, this picture ent contradicts what is actually happening in the MLB swing. I want to tell their bosses that every hitting coach and even players need to know the MLB pattern, and if they don't, then they should be fired.

        SC

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post
          I was really hoping for more responses, because this device supports how the swing is being taught in the vast majority of cases at the college and professional levels. I have enough contacts even at the pro level and have talked to several minor league and major league hitting coaches who (I'm sure) would think this device would be great. THis is because they teach hands/knob directly down to the ball. Then they show me the path with their hands straight down through the ball. I ask them how does the barrel then get on plane with the pitch. After a pause, they say something like John Mabry (asst. hitting coach for Cardinals under Mark McGwire) said, "Once the hands move down, they will just take over getting the barrel on plane." Not sure what that means, except that the common thread in the coaches I have talked to is the path needs to be straight down and they are not really sure how the barrel gets on plane. Of course, this picture ent contradicts what is actually happening in the MLB swing. I want to tell their bosses that every hitting coach and even players need to know the MLB pattern, and if they don't, then they should be fired.

          SC
          Well, I think you pretty much summed it right there.

          I clicked on the link you supplied, watched the video, and thought that it was so ridiculous, that it didn't even warrant a response (not your post, or you personally, but the product)......that "inventor", should be charged with some sort of "contributing to the stunting of the baseball development of a minor".
          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post
            I want to tell their bosses that every hitting coach and even players need to know the MLB pattern, and if they don't, then they should be fired.
            Amen. Halleluiah
            efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

            Comment


            • #7
              seems like the same thing as the Muhl Tech Kicker. I saw something the other day as well made by SKLZ that has the click in the bat.

              http://www.muhltech.com/product_p/muhlbat.htm

              http://www.sklz.com/baseball/training-bats/click-n-hit
              Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.
              (Babe Ruth)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post
                What do you think of this? It looks like it reinforces what most professional hitting coaches teach.

                http://rbiproswing.com/landing/#!prettyPhoto


                SC
                I have no idea what benefit that could have. Seems like a waste of money, as are most devices.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think Babe Ruth got his name because he taped a baby rattle to his bat for practice swings. Good grief. Seriously? What the heck. My hitting coach put a ball on a tee and taught the kids to tap it with the handle of their bats. I can't imagine paying money for a contraption like that. It is a fairly basic concept. Kids can grasp it without the need for silly devices.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post
                    I was really hoping for more responses, because this device supports how the swing is being taught in the vast majority of cases at the college and professional levels. I have enough contacts even at the pro level and have talked to several minor league and major league hitting coaches who (I'm sure) would think this device would be great. THis is because they teach hands/knob directly down to the ball. Then they show me the path with their hands straight down through the ball. I ask them how does the barrel then get on plane with the pitch. After a pause, they say something like John Mabry (asst. hitting coach for Cardinals under Mark McGwire) said, "Once the hands move down, they will just take over getting the barrel on plane." Not sure what that means, except that the common thread in the coaches I have talked to is the path needs to be straight down and they are not really sure how the barrel gets on plane. Of course, this picture ent contradicts what is actually happening in the MLB swing. I want to tell their bosses that every hitting coach and even players need to know the MLB pattern, and if they don't, then they should be fired.

                    SC
                    I'm sure the MLB clubs are already waiting in line for you to explain them the MLB swing.
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
                      I think Babe Ruth got his name because he taped a baby rattle to his bat for practice swings. Good grief. Seriously? What the heck. My hitting coach put a ball on a tee and taught the kids to tap it with the handle of their bats. I can't imagine paying money for a contraption like that. It is a fairly basic concept. Kids can grasp it without the need for silly devices.
                      The bold is one of the worst pieces of advice I've ever heard.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
                        I think Babe Ruth got his name because he taped a baby rattle to his bat for practice swings. Good grief. Seriously? What the heck. My hitting coach put a ball on a tee and taught the kids to tap it with the handle of their bats. I can't imagine paying money for a contraption like that. It is a fairly basic concept. Kids can grasp it without the need for silly devices.
                        Would be cooler if he taped a rattle snake to his bat.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am Speechless! Wow!
                          Many Theories – One Outcome

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pstein View Post
                            The bold is one of the worst pieces of advice I've ever heard.
                            I never advised anyone to use that technique. But I think it was designed to achieve the same thing this silly baby rattle is supposed to fix. But I would be interested in knowing why you don't think the coach should have used that drill with the kids. I've never heard of such a drill and wouldn't have done it myself. He hit over .500 in college. So he certainly knows how to hit. Maybe he learned it from his coach. Or maybe he came up with it a crack-induced lull.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
                              I never advised anyone to use that technique. But I think it was designed to achieve the same thing this silly baby rattle is supposed to fix. But I would be interested in knowing why you don't think the coach should have used that drill with the kids. I've never heard of such a drill and wouldn't have done it myself. He hit over .500 in college. So he certainly knows how to hit. Maybe he learned it from his coach. Or maybe he came up with it a crack-induced lull.
                              I laughed at "crack-induced lull". But the drill that you described appears to facilitate driving the knob at the ball. Which is not what good hitters do, because "knob to the ball" is an arm movement. Good hitters have the feeling in their hands, which is not what "knob to the ball facilitates".

                              This clip illustrates the correct hand path: williamstop.gif

                              Now, for the record, I wish the circle wasn't there. However, it's a decent representation. However, I'd like to stress the importance of not trying to create a hand path. If you use the "baseball hands" (wrists, forearms, and upper arms, with the pressure in phalanges) correctly, and use the lower body correctly, the hand path is automatically aligned.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X