This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Marshall -Baseball Hall of Fame

Was at the Baseball Hall of Fame this weekend....
    No matter what you think of the guy he's there!

Mike Marshall.jpg
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

:applaud:

Comment

When Marshall set that record he was using pitching mechanics he now calls child abuse. Until his pitching camp went under for lack of success Marshall was teaching something very different than the way he pitched. What he had done by that year was change his conditioning. There are many players with momentos in the HOF for single game and single season accomplishments. Marshall was not elected to the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
        When Marshall set that record he was using pitching mechanics he now calls child abuse. Until his pitching camp went under for lack of success Marshall was teaching something very different than the way he pitched. What he had done by that year was change his conditioning. There are many players with momentos in the HOF for single game and single season accomplishments. Marshall was not elected to the HOF.
        Of course he was not inducted, but I appreciate you pointing out the obvious. Marshall was not a single season, single game phenom... he pitched for 14 years won numerous awards to include the Cy Young Award.

Note: he also understood at that time conventional methods were not conducive to a long career and began his work.
        Last edited by Jake Patterson; 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
          Of course he was not inducted, but I appreciate you pointing out the obvious. Marshall was not a single season, single game phenom... he pitched for 14 years won numerous awards to include the Cy Young Award.
          Isn’t it amazing that so many people will listen to players who had relatively weak careers and were “uneducated” because they were “traditional”, but a guy who had what can only be described as a great career and took the time to get a formal education is disparaged by those same people?
          The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Comment

Note: he also understood at that time conventional methods were not conducive to a long career and began his work.
            794 pitchers (so far) have pitched more innings than Mike Marshall using 'conventional methods'. Also, I'm guessing that most of them threw supinated curveballs.

#76 David Wells' conditioning , who threw almost 3x as many innings as Marshall
            Last edited by songtitle; 09-17-2012, 01:30 PM.
            efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
              794 pitchers (so far) have pitched more innings than Mike Marshall using 'conventional methods'. Also, I'm guessing that most of them threw supinated curveballs.

No one here commented, nor did I offer a comparison to anyone else in MLB in the original post. Marshall just happened to be featured in the Baseball Hall of Fame while I was there - nothing more. There are many others - obviously - who also had brilliant careers - but it does not detract from what he did over his 14 year career.

Comment

Ah, but I'd feel pretty good betting my wife's paycheck that none of those 794 pitchers could bring it every night, night after night, without a rest period like Marshall did. I think it is an amazing feat that may stand with Ripken's 2632.

Comment

Yes. During a visit to the school Marshall was coaching at the time, I was quite impressed with all the "hardware" in his office - not just the Cy Young, but all the firefighters hats for the "Fireman of the Year" awards.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Joe View Post
                    Yes. During a visit to the school Marshall was coaching at the time, I was quite impressed with all the "hardware" in his office - not just the Cy Young, but all the firefighters hats for the "Fireman of the Year" awards.
                    Did you notice any hardware for coaching, or instructing?

Comment

Did you notice any hardware for coaching, or instructing?
                      LOL ... Thank you ... the defense rests.

Comment

What's the deal with bagging on a guy about something that wasn't even the purpose of the post?

Marshal pitched in 106 games in a single season....pretty impressive accomplishment.

That's it, what's that got to do with anything he's done outside of the game?
                        In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                          What's the deal with bagging on a guy about something that wasn't even the purpose of the post?
                          The OP brought it up.

Comment

The OP brought it up.
                            What? The OP wrote, "Was at the Baseball Hall of Fame this weekend....No matter what you think of the guy he's there!"

The other statement was his reply to someone who had already started bagging on Marshal.

Do you work on one of the Presidential campaigns quoting stuff out of context like that?
                            In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                              What? The OP wrote, "Was at the Baseball Hall of Fame this weekend....No matter what you think of the guy he's there!"

The other statement was his reply to someone who had already started bagging on Marshal.

Do you work on one of the Presidential campaigns quoting stuff out of context like that?
                              Yeah....song looked pretty foolish on that one...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X