One-Handed Swings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-Handed Swings

I was hitting flies to my kids today. Later, a guy told me that I shouldn't hit flies with one hand because it causes the kids to think it's okay for them to swing with one hand. Am I harming my kids by hitting balls with one hand on the bat during fielding practice? I haven't seen any kids hitting with only the right hand. I suppose there have been a few times when kids have finished their swings with only the left hand on the bat. I never attributed it to my fielding practice swings. It's usually just due to a poor finish on their swings. And we correct it.

Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
    I was hitting flies to my kids today. Later, a guy told me that I shouldn't hit flies with one hand because it causes the kids to think it's okay for them to swing with one hand. Am I harming my kids by hitting balls with one hand on the bat during fielding practice? I haven't seen any kids hitting with only the right hand. I suppose there have been a few times when kids have finished their swings with only the left hand on the bat. I never attributed it to my fielding practice swings. It's usually just due to a poor finish on their swings. And we correct it.
    No, you aren't. The reasoning that the other guy used is akin to saying "don't swing down during infield practice, because then kids will want to swing down." The more I'm around baseball, the fewer things surprise me.

Comment

Interesting. It came up in a discussion where the guy was trying to convince me that he should be allowed to coach my travel team. Apparently, he's not going to let his son join our team unless he gets to be the coach. He has all sorts of expectations and qualifiers. I told him that his kid would be a great addition to our team but that it seems like our goals and his goals aren't matching up.

Comment

I've seen instances, especially with the younger ages, where a coach will throw the fly balls so that they can work on how their fielders get to those locations. Ask this guy if he thinks batters on that team will try to catch the pitch bare handed and throw it into play.

Comment

Interesting. It came up in a discussion where the guy was trying to convince me that he should be allowed to coach my travel team. Apparently, he's not going to let his son join our team unless he gets to be the coach. He has all sorts of expectations and qualifiers. I told him that his kid would be a great addition to our team but that it seems like our goals and his goals aren't matching up.
          Ummm... That kid with THAT Dad would NOT be a 'great addition' to your team... Just sayin'...
          I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
            Ummm... That kid with THAT Dad would NOT be a 'great addition' to your team... Just sayin'...
            Second this ^

Comment

It came up in a discussion where the guy was trying to convince me that he should be allowed to coach my travel team. Apparently, he's not going to let his son join our team unless he gets to be the coach.
              I'd tell that guy to #$%^ right the @$#% off! In the nicest possible way, of course.

Comment

You guys make me smile. This guy was banned from the local Dixie league. I haven't been able to get the facts on why. His son is a good ballplayer, but the guy acts like his son is a superstar. The kid barely squeezes into the 10U class. I think he has a late April birthday. So the kid is almost 11. While discussing what he could do if I let him be the coach, the guy said only five of the kids on my team are good enough to be on a travel team. He actually told me that my son isn't one of them. He insisted that my son could not play the infield. He says he can't field very well and has a weak arm. Keep in mind that the guy hasn't really seen my son play much. Basically, he saw my boy play three innings at second base.

Right after he said that about my boy, we played the second game of a three-way doubleheader. The other team was short a kid. So I volunteered my son. He started at third, where he fielded a grounder in the hole but didn't charge the ball. He fired a bullet to first base, but the throw was a hair too late. The guy left after that play. He left his kid with his wife and went to parts unknown.

Here is what he missed:

My son caught a pop up. Then they moved him to shortstop for the next inning, and he got all three outs. He fielded a grounder and threw to first for the first out. Then he caught a liner and threw to third to double off a runner. He also had two hits. They were seeing-eye singles. But they were hits. My boy, by the way, just turned 9. So he's actually the second-youngest kid on the team.

The thing is that this guy keeps complaining that we aren't practicing enough. And I keep telling him that we're just getting started and will hold more practices after kids are finished with fall ball. All of the kids play fall ball. He said they're not going to learn anything with their rec league coaches. But me and my assistant both have teams, and 6-7 of our kids are on our rec teams. We told the parents at the start of this thing that we were not going to chuck our responsibilities as rec league coaches. We said that rec ball would be a priority. That was fine with everyone because all of the kids play rec ball. But this guy's kid, of course, does not play rec ball. Because he was banned, I presume.

Anyway, he was on my text message group and on our Facebook info page and on our team email list. I removed him this morning. What he pulled yesterday was ridiculous. It's addition by subtraction. I guess I should stop being surprised by the crazy parents that you run into in the youth baseball world.

Comment

You guys make me smile. This guy was banned from the local Dixie league. I haven't been able to get the facts on why. His son is a good ballplayer, but the guy acts like his son is a superstar. The kid barely squeezes into the 10U class. I think he has a late April birthday. So the kid is almost 11. While discussing what he could do if I let him be the coach, the guy said only five of the kids on my team are good enough to be on a travel team. He actually told me that my son isn't one of them. He insisted that my son could not play the infield. He says he can't field very well and has a weak arm. Keep in mind that the guy hasn't really seen my son play much. Basically, he saw my boy play three innings at second base.

Right after he said that about my boy, we played the second game of a three-way doubleheader. The other team was short a kid. So I volunteered my son. He started at third, where he fielded a grounder in the hole but didn't charge the ball. He fired a bullet to first base, but the throw was a hair too late. The guy left after that play. He left his kid with his wife and went to parts unknown.

Here is what he missed:

My son caught a pop up. Then they moved him to shortstop for the next inning, and he got all three outs. He fielded a grounder and threw to first for the first out. Then he caught a liner and threw to third to double off a runner. He also had two hits. They were seeing-eye singles. But they were hits. My boy, by the way, just turned 9. So he's actually the second-youngest kid on the team.

The thing is that this guy keeps complaining that we aren't practicing enough. And I keep telling him that we're just getting started and will hold more practices after kids are finished with fall ball. All of the kids play fall ball. He said they're not going to learn anything with their rec league coaches. But me and my assistant both have teams, and 6-7 of our kids are on our rec teams. We told the parents at the start of this thing that we were not going to chuck our responsibilities as rec league coaches. We said that rec ball would be a priority. That was fine with everyone because all of the kids play rec ball. But this guy's kid, of course, does not play rec ball. Because he was banned, I presume.

Anyway, he was on my text message group and on our Facebook info page and on our team email list. I removed him this morning. What he pulled yesterday was ridiculous. It's addition by subtraction. I guess I should stop being surprised by the crazy parents that you run into in the youth baseball world.
                  Perhaps you can give him Special K’s number so they can start a team together….

Comment

Originally posted by cps View Post
                    Perhaps you can give him Special K’s number so they can start a team together….
                    I'm going to start calling travel baseball "Drama baseball". I've just learned to accept that there will always be crap like this. On our current travel team we have some GREAT coaches, GREAT kids and even good parents. However, it's still not without drama. I just laugh now. I'm happy my kid has a place to play, is treated fairly as are ALL kids on the team. Good luck with your team HM, and just accept that there will be drama around every corner.

Comment

Personal opinion, if your team is past T-ball, please hit real fungos to them. Get another coach or kid to catch for you so you can focus on what you're hitting (spins, angles). Don't be that guy who catches with his left and hits chopping backspins grounders with the right. It's got nothing to do with kids copying your swing.

His son is a good ballplayer, but the guy acts like his son is a superstar. The kid barely squeezes into the 10U class. I think he has a late April birthday. So the kid is almost 11.
                      Bash the dad but don't hold things against the kid especially his age. He didn't pick his parents or the month he was born. And if he has an April B-day, he would be one of the younger kids on the team since age cutoff is May 1. My son also has an April B-day and he is usually the youngest kid on his team.

Comment

I guess you could call my 10U travel team a "select" team, because I selected every kid because of his attitude and the family's attitude. They are all from our Little League. Every kid loves baseball and all the parents are on the same page as far as the season being about development before winning games. I had two kids from our league that I invited to play that I wasn't sure about, knowing they were going to be behind the rest of the team as far as skills and confidence. But after six weeks of playing together both boys are consistently getting hits and making all the routine plays at 2B. One of the moms told me how after one really bad loss (18-3 in four innings) the two boys I was worried about got together and went out to play baseball together for two hours on their own. You can't beat that. I haven't had any drama yet from players or parents.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                          Personal opinion, if your team is past T-ball, please hit real fungos to them. Get another coach or kid to catch for you so you can focus on what you're hitting (spins, angles). Don't be that guy who catches with his left and hits chopping backspins grounders with the right. It's got nothing to do with kids copying your swing.

Bash the dad but don't hold things against the kid especially his age. He didn't pick his parents or the month he was born. And if he has an April B-day, he would be one of the younger kids on the team since age cutoff is May 1. My son also has an April B-day and he is usually the youngest kid on his team.
                          Ya. I should have refrained from commenting on the kid. I don't know his actual birthday. I just recall his dad saying that he barely makes it in 10U. Maybe it's a May birthday. It doesn't matter much. I love the kid. He has a great attitude.

And I would love to hit fungos. But I haven't been able to afford a bat yet. It's on my wish list. It might be one of the first things I buy when the team has an infusion of funds in a month or so. I have an autographed bat from the 1970s. It was from a softball team that was sponsored by my grandfather's factory. I was thinking of taping it and using it. ButI don't know what kind of tape to use.

Comment

Originally posted by azmatsfan View Post
                            I guess you could call my 10U travel team a "select" team, because I selected every kid because of his attitude and the family's attitude. They are all from our Little League. Every kid loves baseball and all the parents are on the same page as far as the season being about development before winning games. I had two kids from our league that I invited to play that I wasn't sure about, knowing they were going to be behind the rest of the team as far as skills and confidence. But after six weeks of playing together both boys are consistently getting hits and making all the routine plays at 2B. One of the moms told me how after one really bad loss (18-3 in four innings) the two boys I was worried about got together and went out to play baseball together for two hours on their own. You can't beat that. I haven't had any drama yet from players or parents.
                            On Sunday, we played against a classy bunch from a high-income Florida community. They had great coaches who worked well together. They had lots of gear and the right attitude. Their kids were talented, but they weren't over-the-top awesome. The coaches said they just went through a transition with several players leaving the team. They said it happens to every team. Now that I understand it, I can manage it.

Comment

On Sunday, we played against a classy bunch from a high-income Florida community. They had great coaches who worked well together. They had lots of gear and the right attitude. Their kids were talented, but they weren't over-the-top awesome. The coaches said they just went through a transition with several players leaving the team. They said it happens to every team. Now that I understand it, I can manage it.
                              You don't have to have lots of gear though to have the right attitude. One time last year while our kids were loosening up an hour or so before gametime I saw a team I didn't recognize playing on an adjacent field. They were a rec team playing to give their kids the experience. I watched as they absolutely hustled over the top..even in warmups. They were in and out of the dugout faster than anyone we play. In the inning..the catcher and pitcher worked as quickly as I have ever seen..but they were good! They won that game and one on Sunday. I asked one of the dads where they were from and we struck up a conversation. He complimented our uniforms..I told him I'd trade them for that teams hustle.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X