One-Handed Swings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raptor View Post
    You don't have to have lots of gear though to have the right attitude. One time last year while our kids were loosening up an hour or so before gametime I saw a team I didn't recognize playing on an adjacent field. They were a rec team playing to give their kids the experience. I watched as they absolutely hustled over the top..even in warmups. They were in and out of the dugout faster than anyone we play. In the inning..the catcher and pitcher worked as quickly as I have ever seen..but they were good! They won that game and one on Sunday. I asked one of the dads where they were from and we struck up a conversation. He complimented our uniforms..I told him I'd trade them for that teams hustle.
    That's good to hear. It's not easy being the blue-collar team against the team with matching cleats, helmets, etc. I get a little intimidated, but I shouldn't. I know our kids are good. They're really making progress.

Comment

Originally posted by HeinekenMan View Post
      That's good to hear. It's not easy being the blue-collar team against the team with matching cleats, helmets, etc. I get a little intimidated, but I shouldn't. I know our kids are good. They're really making progress.
      You can be that team. I believe in not cutting young kids for performance reasons if they want to be there and show it and can show they want to get better. Behavioral issues are a reason..we cut a kid for cussing after striking out on two separate occasions. Keep the good ones and some will leave anyway...through reasons above or maybe they just are not playing their preferred position or getting enough time in key situations..so they find a different team. Then you just add players better than your average..get better slowly and build a team.

Comment

Get a fungo, do it right and look like a coach. Don't you expect your players to look like ball players?

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
          Get a fungo, do it right and look like a coach. Don't you expect your players to look like ball players?
          Okay. Hey, can I borrow $50?

Comment

If your player's parents have to spend $100+ on bats every year or two you can spend $50 once.

Comment

And I would love to hit fungos. But I haven't been able to afford a bat yet. It's on my wish list.
              You don't have to have a fungo bat to hit decent fungos to players, especially at that age. If you don't have one, grab the biggest team bat and use it. My point is if you're going to hit fungos, do it the right way. And that goes for everything a coach does and teaches at practice. Look the part of a baseball coach and demand your players to look the part of ball players. Coaches have a saying, "look good, play good". That doesn't necessarily mean having the newest, shiny equipment. It has more to do with players and coaches looking sharp when they step onto the field and looking like they know what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                If your player's parents have to spend $100+ on bats every year or two you can spend $50 once.
                I just spent $65 on a bat for my son, and now I'm down to my last $10. I hope I get a paycheck soon!

Comment

This guy was banned from the local Dixie league. I haven't been able to get the facts on why.
                  Wow. That's all you need to know right there in my opinion. Run don't walk away from this guy. Based on what you've told us already combined with that I don't care how good his son is, it won't be worth the headache I promise you.

To those that say don't punish the kid because of the parent, I say that's theoretically all well and good but practically an impossibility. They are a package deal unfortunately.

My kids have been involved in several different sports: baseball/softball, soccer, and basketball. And while most of that has been at the lower, recreational level, I will say that even at the rec level baseball seems to breed more drama. I'm sure it gets worse across all sports the higher the level, but baseball seems like a drama magnet. I wonder if it is because baseball is almost like an individual sport disguised as a team sport at times. I wonder what truly individual sports like gymnastics and tennis must be like?

Comment

I think it has to do with team sports...in individual sports there is no one else to blame! My daughter does gymnastics..they train all year for a few month meet season. Parents drop the girls off at practice, pick them up a few hours later, occasionally chat with the coach, and attend meets. She is not at a high level yet so everyone gets at least one medal. No one seems to complain about "playing time" or the coach not knowing what she is doing. It is completely drama free. DD never has once complained and is asking me for a 6" high practice beam for the rec room. It sounds reasonable considering the dozen bats sitting in the bucket in the garage!

Comment

You don't have to buy a fungo bat. Just go to a used sporting goods store (Play it Again) and buy the cheapest wooden bat they have.

Comment

Interesting. It came up in a discussion where the guy was trying to convince me that he should be allowed to coach my travel team. Apparently, he's not going to let his son join our team unless he gets to be the coach. He has all sorts of expectations and qualifiers. I told him that his kid would be a great addition to our team but that it seems like our goals and his goals aren't matching up.
                        Well that explains his "expert" advice.

Comment

Anyway, he was on my text message group and on our Facebook info page and on our team email list. I removed him this morning. What he pulled yesterday was ridiculous. It's addition by subtraction. I guess I should stop being surprised by the crazy parents that you run into in the youth baseball world.
                          HeinekenMan: All due respect to you ... but the entirety of your post [#8] betrays the large degree that you are actually "auditioning" to this creep and putting your son up to be evaluated by him as well.

I am old enough [OUCH] to recall with fond memories the old days of sandlot ball, replete with pebbled infields, rutted outfields, and the occasional discarded mattress or bedspring [or both] as a backstop ... with discarded baseballs re-wrapped in black tape [or white, if one wanted to really pretend he had a real baseball]. We had hand-me-down gloves and mitts and bats not custom-tailored for 11,12,13,or 14 year old sluggers. We survived adolescence; and some of our generation became pretty fair ballplayers ... with no really "nutty" adults dominating every step of our stumbling and fumbling development.

Kids, allowed to be just kids, have an uncanny way of sorting things out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X