This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc Yeager/ IsoBaseball Videos

Good stuff! Thanks for posting, Chris. I've learned a lot from your material and appreciate how you present it.

Comment

Do you think a left hand batter/right hand thrower (and vice versa) would have a more difficult time mastering the correct back arm movement?

Thank you for posting.

Comment

Doc,
        There is a recent thread here on rear leg action:
        http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ear-Leg-Action

I'd be interested in your take since just about every hitter in your video above appears to be using the rear leg as described in this thread and not as a lateral sideways push into the front leg. Maybe you don't see it because you don't understand it?

There is a video of yours in that thread that has you demonstrating your understanding of rear leg internal rotation and perhaps this is an opportunity for you to look at it in a different light.

I'd also be interested in which current MLB'ers you think best illustrate your hitting model.

Do you think this swing is illustrative of what you teach?

Cheers,
        NoonTime
        @noontimegifs

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Chris Yeager View Post
          Are you suggesting that a hitter slots his rear elbow and then swings? IYO, when do the hands start applying force to the handle?

IMO, the throw that you speak about, the extension of the rear arm is a caused by something that happens farther up stream. The barrel is released early, before you say the rear arm extends. IMO, the hands start applying force immediately which triggers the rear elbow to slot and support the hands in applying more force. The elbow is positioning to create an angle and position that will create the most efficient support of what the hands need to do to get the barrel to the ball.

Your words that you are using to describe the mechanics describe slot and then push to me. Extension is not a push it is a hang on. If the barrel is released properly the extension happens. If you are pushing through contact, then you never threw the barrel.

JMHO

Comment

I agree with HYP. The whip is earlier. The elbow doesn't slot before the hands start working.

The rotational obsession is an issue. You see a lot of kids who just spin the hips open and then have nothing left. Staying closed until foot plant is a recipe for pushing the hands and bat. The lead leg can and will impede getting open.

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
              I agree with HYP. The whip is earlier. The elbow doesn't slot before the hands start working.

This guy is collapsing backwards, then pushing his hands forward. Yikes!!!

And the hands should only be holding on (or guiding to the ball). They're not 'working'.
              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Chris Yeager View Post
                He says the back elbow pushes toward the ball. The back elbow should be headed toward the hip, regardless where the ball is.

Comment

Originally posted by HYP View Post
                  Are you suggesting that a hitter slots his rear elbow and then swings? IYO, when do the hands start applying force to the handle?

IMO, the throw that you speak about, the extension of the rear arm is a caused by something that happens farther up stream. The barrel is released early, before you say the rear arm extends. IMO, the hands start applying force immediately which triggers the rear elbow to slot and support the hands in applying more force. The elbow is positioning to create an angle and position that will create the most efficient support of what the hands need to do to get the barrel to the ball.

Your words that you are using to describe the mechanics describe slot and then push to me. Extension is not a push it is a hang on. If the barrel is released properly the extension happens. If you are pushing through contact, then you never threw the barrel.

JMHO
                  He said that you slot the elbow and throw the barrel. He didn't say that you push the barrel. Extension is a result of throwing the barrel with the top hand, and you don't throw the barrel by twisting it rearward early.

He's explained it, I've explained it, 4 MLB hitters, one a HOF'er say they don't do it as you and some others think, yet you persist in believing what you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                    This guy is collapsing backwards, then pushing his hands forward. Yikes!!!

And the hands should only be holding on (or guiding to the ball). They're not 'working'.
                    No he's not. And, the hands DO "work", they throw the barrel after the elbow slots and the shoulder begins to turn, after they tilt.

Approximately right here;

Comment

Originally posted by HYP View Post
                      Your words that you are using to describe the mechanics describe slot and then push to me.

JMHO
                      I'm not sure where you got this idea from this video. I know there is a contingent on here that believes there is an active and early supination on the top hand despite evidence to the contrary. I take from this video that he's just pointing out that this isn't what elite hitters do.

Comment

Originally posted by jbooth View Post
                        He said that you slot the elbow and throw the barrel. He didn't say that you push the barrel. Extension is a result of throwing the barrel with the top hand, and you don't throw the barrel by twisting it rearward early.

He's explained it, I've explained it, 4 MLB hitters, one a HOF'er say they don't do it as you and some others think, yet you persist in believing what you believe.
                        Jim,

Good to hear from you. Did you read my post wrong? I don't think I said you twist the barrel early. I did say the hands start to apply force to the handle in order to get it moving around the hands. The elbow is positioning itself to help the hands apply more force.

How does one slot the elbow and then throw the barrel? Are you saying that a MLB hitter has time to slot his elbow and then throw the barrel? You may want to rethink that. In the time restraints that a MLB hitter has they had better be cheating the lower body and applying force to the handle with the hands immediately. If the pitch is what they thought it was they finish with commitment and release the barrel (throw). If it is not what they thought it was they stop and do not release the barrel.

BTW, there is only one direction in an arc. The barrel is constantly moving in a direction towards the ball. The tighter the radius the shorter the swing. So, are you saying that there are 7 people who don't do it the way I describe? Out of all the HOF'ers and elite MLB players? I like my odds. I will go with the majority.

Nice chatting with you.

Comment

Originally posted by azmatsfan View Post
                          I'm not sure where you got this idea from this video. I know there is a contingent on here that believes there is an active and early supination on the top hand despite evidence to the contrary. I take from this video that he's just pointing out that this isn't what elite hitters do.
                          Huh, if that is the case then I agree. If his point of the video was to show what elite hitters do not do then we are on the same page but I may have read what you wrote wrong.

The way I heard his material was, slot then extend through contact. If that is what he was saying, then that sounds like slot then push.

Comment

Dinner and a movie---will try to respond to some later tonight/ morning..

Comment

Originally posted by jbooth View Post
                              No he's not. And, the hands DO "work", they throw the barrel after the elbow slots and the shoulder begins to turn, after they tilt.
                              Try hitting without your hands 'doing' any work at all after the elbow slot, and you'll get the same result
                              Last edited by Jake Patterson; 10-13-2012, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X