Son's swings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son's swings

It's been awhile since my son's swing has been analyzed...here are a few cuts from today.
    Appreciate any feedback..thanks and sorry for having to post a youtube link. One may have to copy it into the browser to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l5os...=ULr8ujS2WMQ_w

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=dVHdAYg9c5U

Comment

bbf raptor 2012-1218.JPG

He looks good right before his back elbow hits his back hip, then his hands push toward the pitcher. At this point, his hands should be under his nose.

Stop pushing.

Here's Trout at the same point in the swing.
      bbf raptor 2012-1218 compare trout.JPG
      Last edited by songtitle; 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM.
      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Thanks for the stills Song! In that first set of clips his hands were much higher and his back foot, which I never caught, was splayed a little. Noon did some excellent and charitable gif work, and pointed out that a lower launch handset and "noontime drill" may get him to stop pushing. Can u still up the same point from the second set of clips?

Comment

raptor has authorized me to post the swing analysis I did for him. I do this for free, and enjoy doing it. Hope this helps other people as much as it did for raptor.

https://www.vstrator.com/video/outpu...8-450ea40817ed
          https://www.vstrator.com/video/outpu...d-27db22b2b385

Comment

MD, you may want to use an MLB hitter on the right. Your 'ideal' guy is not using an MLB swing.

bbf md sports 2012-1221.JPG

Ex. here's Trout
            bbf md sports 2012-1221-trout.JPG
            Last edited by songtitle; 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM.
            efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
              MD, you may want to use an MLB hitter on the right. Your 'ideal' guy is not using an MLB swing.

[ATTACH]117677[/ATTACH]

Ex. here's Trout
              [ATTACH]117678[/ATTACH]
              Thank you for your concern. However, many MLB hitters have different hitting styles, but not the different mechanics. There is not much different between the my "ideal" batter, and your Trout picture. The only differences is Trout is swinging at an inside pitch, and is more forward to hit the ball in front of the plate. Please review http://www.hitterspowerdrive.com/ an you will understand that the video I used the player has formal training from an MLB hitting coach.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Diamond Sports View Post
                There is not much different between the my "ideal" batter, and your Trout picture.
                Unfortunately MD, this ^^^^ is simply incorrect.

Trout like most all MLB hitters swings "behind and through" the ball, while your example hitter swings "down and to" it. Big, big difference in barrel paths, and the mechanics which create them.

It's not too often that I agree with "Song", but his above recommendation about example hitters to use I'd say is spot on.
                In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

"Behind and through" and "down and to"? What about the "down and through" mechanic? Which is right, and which is wrong? Basically you are getting to the difference between rotational hitting vs. linear hitting. To each his own.

Comment

"Behind and through" and "down and to"? What about the "down and through" mechanic? Which is right, and which is wrong? Basically you are getting to the difference between rotational hitting vs. linear hitting. To each his own.
                    It's as simple as looking at video of MLB hitters.

While many think they used the "down and to" mechanics and even teach them, video of their game swings reveal something completely different.....

Comment

I do not teach the "down and to" or the "behind and through". My instructions are based on a mixture of the linear to rotational hitting. I have looked at many MLB players game swings. Just look at the difference between Harper and Trout. Harper is more of a linear hitter, whereas Trout is more of a rotational hitter. Mixing both of these mechanics have worked well for my hitters. I see exactly what you are saying, however I believe it is geared strictly towards rotational hitting.
                      Last edited by MD Diamond Sports; 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I do not teach the "down and to" or the "behind and through". My instructions are based on a mixture of the linear to rotational hitting. I have looked at many MLB players game swings. Just look at the difference between Harper and Trout. Harper is more of a linear hitter, whereas Trout is more of a rotational hitter. Mixing both of these mechanics have worked well for my hitters. I see exactly what you are saying, however I believe it is geared strictly towards rotational hitting.
                        A mixture of both is fine, but as you pointed out earlier there is a difference between "style" and mechanics (ie. Harper and Trout), however, they both have the same barrel path. Once the barrel path is correct you're well on your way, regardless of how you teach it or get there.

All I was pointing out is that your example hitter does not have the barrel path that matches most MLB hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                          A mixture of both is fine, but as you pointed out earlier there is a difference between "style" and mechanics (ie. Harper and Trout), however, they both have the same barrel path.
                          Sorry, this comment does not seem true to me. Harper has a linear to rotational swing, and trout has a rotational swing. The video that I posted is a linear to rotational swing. It looks more predominant because the pitch is low.We will disagree about the video that I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                            A mixture of both is fine, but as you pointed out earlier there is a difference between "style" and mechanics (ie. Harper and Trout), however, they both have the same barrel path.
                            Sorry, this comment does not seem true to me.
                            I'm not sure I understand what you're saying is untrue. Do you believe that Harper and Trout don't have the same barrel path?

Harper has a linear to rotational swing, and trout has a rotational swing. The video that I posted is a linear to rotational swing. It looks more predominant because the pitch is low.We will disagree about the video that I posted.
                            IMO, all swings are a combination of "rotational" and "linear", the varying extents in which different MLB players employ the two make up their various "styles".

For you to say that "trout has a rotational swing" is saying that he has no linear weight shift in his swing, which I think video bears out to be incorrect.

Does Trout have as much "linear" transfer as Harper? Well no, but that is simply a matter of their differences in "style" of getting into the position from which they launch their barrel.

But both launch their barrels from "behind and through" the ball.....your example hitter does not. Your hitter's barrel path does not do this.....

Last edited by mudvnine; 12-21-2012, 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Harper122210.gif

Hands to the ball, mostly linear.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X