Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glove recommendation for my son

Hi all,
    My son has been using a Vinci youth glove, was great for when he was younger. Very light, easily broken in, but almost seems too light or flimsy now. I'm thinking of getting him a new glove, he tried his friends Rawlings Gold glove (11 inch) and liked it. Any suggestions? I'm not sure I want to fork out $90 when he's yet to use a glove for > 1 yr.

He plays pitcher and infield atm, but I'd want him to use this glove in all positons except catcher.

He's around 4' 7" and 73 lbs.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Glovesmith

I went to customgloves.com and used their glove builder to design my son's glove. The glove is awesome.

Comment

We also had the vinci youth model for about 2 years. It was a great glove out of the box but did feel a little flimsy as well after a while. We picked up a youth showcase A2000 real cheap on Ebay. Here is one for slightly more than i paid but still a great price for an A2000, we actually got the 11"version for Inf use. Also if he has smaller hands like mine does the Rawlings Gold glove like you mentioned but in the pro taper model is made for smaller hands. We have that as well & is a nice glove for a little less money

http://www.baseballsavings.com/custo...attrVal0/SC-B2

Comment

Okay, I'm a noob, but I'm not a big fan of adult-quality gloves at this age, for three reasons:

1) I know we try to teach our kids responsibility, but we are talking about an 8-year-old here. Kids will have accidents.

2) Top quality leather is going to be heavier, stiffer, slower to break in.

3) If the glove is a multi-year investment, parents will buy a glove to "grow into" -- one that will be bigger than ideal for quite a while.

For what it's worth, my kid got an Easton Natural Elite Youth glove (11") a couple of years ago and it's been good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJukIMF_WG4

I'm not sure if Easton still sells boy's gloves. I think Mizuno has some nice youth-oriented gloves as well, and I would probably buy one if I were in your situation.

Oddly, his first "real" glove was a Wilson A425 10.5" and he still likes to wear it at home when he's throwing off a pitchback or bouncing a ball off a door in the basement, even though it's worn out: the laces holding the fingertips together have broken and there are holes in the fingers. I guess he just likes playing with a very light and super-soft glove.

Comment

Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
          Hi all,
          My son has been using a Vinci youth glove, was great for when he was younger. Very light, easily broken in, but almost seems too light or flimsy now. I'm thinking of getting him a new glove, he tried his friends Rawlings Gold glove (11 inch) and liked it. Any suggestions? I'm not sure I want to fork out $90 when he's yet to use a glove for > 1 yr.

He plays pitcher and infield atm, but I'd want him to use this glove in all positons except catcher.

He's around 4' 7" and 73 lbs.

Thanks for your thoughts.
          Which Vinci do you currently use? You could always get him another YOUTH Vinci since he uses them for a year or so and then upgrade as he gets older. The Vinci line of gloves (we have several) are top quality gloves and the price is very nice as well. We have a 10.5 and an 11 and have been very happy with both. Good luck.

Comment

I second the A2000 line. My son has 3 of them. Well worth the money. Keep your eyes on ebay and you can save a good bit.
            Originally posted by benz99 View Post
            We also had the vinci youth model for about 2 years. It was a great glove out of the box but did feel a little flimsy as well after a while. We picked up a youth showcase A2000 real cheap on Ebay. Here is one for slightly more than i paid but still a great price for an A2000, we actually got the 11"version for Inf use. Also if he has smaller hands like mine does the Rawlings Gold glove like you mentioned but in the pro taper model is made for smaller hands. We have that as well & is a nice glove for a little less money

http://www.baseballsavings.com/custo...attrVal0/SC-B2
            Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.
            (Babe Ruth)

Comment

Go to a sporting goods chain and buy a cheap Rawlings Derek Jeter model. It's broken in off the shelf. At about $30 ($29 when my son last had one six years ago) it doesn't matter if he grows out of it, damages it or loses it. In seven years my son had three of them. The first he wore out over four years and he lost one. In middle school he got $100 gloves. In high school I got him a pro model. Now he gets pro models free.

Comment

Another vote for the Easton Natural Elite Youth. Thicker and less flimsy than most gloves under $75 yet very easy to break in. Will definitely hold up for about 2 yrs. You can find them NIW on ebay(ddsporto) for about $20-30. No way you can get a better glove for that price. If you want a little better, Homerun Monkey has Rawlings Pro Taper HOH for about $50. Also an excellent glove.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X