Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    do you have the new DVD?
    No, I have no need for it. There's better information out there.

Comment

How do you know the new DVD is not as good as the old if you don't have the material?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhawk View Post
        How do you know the new DVD is not as good as the old if you don't have the material?
        I've read enough of what Jake has written, and seen enough of what he teaches.

Comment

crazyhawk...

what does Jake teach that mike didn't... more importantly, how does Jake teach it?

Since you are familiar with the new material... what has changed?

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
            I've read enough of what Jake has written, and seen enough of what he teaches.
            What book has Jake written?

Comment

Originally posted by giantheart View Post
              crazyhawk...

what does Jake teach that mike didn't... more importantly, how does Jake teach it?

Since you are familiar with the new material... what has changed?
              The Core DVD includes impact bag drills, swingaway drills (could use a tee/net) and impact bat/small ball machine drills along with teaching the viewer of the material how to analyze swings through video. This isn't the standard fair of Torque, Numbers, Enforcer, etc. As a matter of fact, the hitter on the DVD has his rear elbow up and is striding. Also, back foot is supposed to slide forward a little bit.

Comment

Just my opinion, but Mike had a lot of weight on the back foot in my opinion and Jake definitely believes in having the back foot come "up to toe". I felt like a lot of the old "Epstein hitters" tended to be back too much and had more of an upper cut effect. There is more, but I feel that if I get into too much that people will just twist my words and make my words turn into Epstein words and I definitely do not speak on their behalf. I just like their philosophies.

Jake teaches a progression of steps on how to proceed with his program....not every student is taught the same, meaning that I might spend a lot of time working on hitting into a punching bag with one kid and another might get his body where I want it in 20 minutes and we move onto the next step. From there Jake breaks it down to the next step, followed by the next, etc. I don't really feel that I should give each step because I am sure he would like to sell his DVD, but I will say that I have spent time with my kids with both Englishbey and Jake Epstein and their stuff is much more similar than people want to admit. However, Jake has a way to actually teach the kid a step by step process to get the final result. Also, how to perform video analysis on your students to make sure that they are performing the tasks that you want them to. Englishbey does not have a system and is kind of all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
                  MPH, really? I came on this site and made posts as if I were some expert? MPH, you would have to go back a year or more to find any post where I posted on hitting. At that, perhaps you would find one or two posts in a thread and then have to go back further. I did post pictures on this site as as others of some of my students including my child. I'd estimate that the last time I posted video of my child was her sophomore year of HS so around 2008-2009. (In fairness, I'll try to go back and find any expert posts I've made with regards to hitting.) Remember for years, I actually claimed to be an "ex-expert." LOL! The only posts I have made with regards to hitting are those when I know the agenda of some posters has led them to misprepresent other's work. BTW, isn't it ironic that you would suggest that Jake and I are so unfair.

Per Mud, I believe that Mud has made it clear that he doesn't profess to be an expert. He is an active coach and so, most of us can follow his works with players he has hands on work with. For sure, Mud has never made the claim to have all of the answers. BTW, MPH, (HNP). I can't recall any time you have posted video of your work/players.

Per Booth, you have been active at this longer than I have. You recall J.Booth posting that series of videos explaining his thoughts and while not a DVD, he put out a series of videos explaining a lot of his thoughts and has remained consistent with those beliefs he supported then. Of course, if I'm in error, J. Booth will correct me.

MPH, you know those who claim to have all of the answers and yet, no video. Only attacks on those who don't believe as they do. If they have it so "right" why not produce the video and make serious money while showing the world that they have found the golden grail of hitting?

I'll go now and take a look at the last time I made a post on hitting where I claimed to be an expert.
                  I had the same thought.......

Comment

Wow - Lot's of opinions on this subject! I am a bit overwhelmed being that I am a new baseball Dad and this is my first post on this site. I ordered "The Core" to help increase my knowledge in general on the baseball swing and to help give me a better framework to work with my boys as they grow. The DVD should arrive any day, but now I don't know what to expect given the extreme views presented. Any words of wisdom for a Dad just starting out with little baseball knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Birm View Post
                      Wow - Lot's of opinions on this subject! I am a bit overwhelmed being that I am a new baseball Dad and this is my first post on this site. I ordered "The Core" to help increase my knowledge in general on the baseball swing and to help give me a better framework to work with my boys as they grow. The DVD should arrive any day, but now I don't know what to expect given the extreme views presented. Any words of wisdom for a Dad just starting out with little baseball knowledge?
                      Most who argue the minutia of the swing agree on 90% of it... I would not worry about it. Be open to other ideas and learn with your son.
                      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Birm View Post
                        Don't be overwhelmed. Watch the DVD, learn as much as you can, and go from there. You may find that the DVD material suits your needs, or you may find out it doesn't. I started out with Epstein (the old set, not the one you're getting), and I certainly learned a lot from it, even though I use very little of that original material today. It takes a while to learn the baseball swing, so the more information the better.

Fundamentally, what it comes down to is what you want your kids' swings to look like. You don't need to be particularly knowledgeable to pick out a swing you like. I've said many times before that the model swing I used was George Brett. I was a big fan and thought he had a beautiful swing. Of course his swing is very different than a Barry Bonds or a Ted Williams, so it's not for everyone. With this in mind, I watched the videos of everyone I could find, and attempted to figure out whether that method resulted in swings that looked good for me, i.e., looked like Brett, or not. In the case of Epstein it was evident early on that what he taught was very different than Brett's swing, at least for my eye. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Epstein or whoever, it's just different than what I used as my measure of goodness.

That's the path I went down, and eventually ended up where I was really happy with the results, but it takes time. So view this as a first step, and if you like what you see, maybe the last step as well.

Good luck!

- JJA
                        The outcome of our children is infinitely more important than the outcome of any game they will ever play

Comment

wow... lots of responses now. so i'm going to order the new "core" videos... but does anyone on here have any of epsteins old dvds they would be willing to sell? Only asking cause I don't see the old ones listed on the site anymore.

Comment

Brim, here is what I think you should expect. To have a great time with your son. I was fortunate, like Jake, to be able to coach my child and it was a blast. I started with Lau's Books and then progressed to Hudgens, Epstein, ... I learned something valuable at every turn. More importantly, my child and I took this journey together. At no point did I worry about her future being in jeopardy per these resources. Fortunately for us, she is able to play at the collegiate level. During the NLCS, she and I texted the entire time over hitting mechanics, hitter's approach at the plate, ... Our journey continues. Enjoy ever second of it!!!
                            Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                              What book has Jake written?
                              Not a book, but articles. I've seen demos.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhawk View Post
                                Just my opinion, but Mike had a lot of weight on the back foot in my opinion and Jake definitely believes in having the back foot come "up to toe". I felt like a lot of the old "Epstein hitters" tended to be back too much and had more of an upper cut effect. There is more, but I feel that if I get into too much that people will just twist my words and make my words turn into Epstein words and I definitely do not speak on their behalf. I just like their philosophies.

Jake teaches a progression of steps on how to proceed with his program....not every student is taught the same, meaning that I might spend a lot of time working on hitting into a punching bag with one kid and another might get his body where I want it in 20 minutes and we move onto the next step. From there Jake breaks it down to the next step, followed by the next, etc. I don't really feel that I should give each step because I am sure he would like to sell his DVD, but I will say that I have spent time with my kids with both Englishbey and Jake Epstein and their stuff is much more similar than people want to admit. However, Jake has a way to actually teach the kid a step by step process to get the final result. Also, how to perform video analysis on your students to make sure that they are performing the tasks that you want them to. Englishbey does not have a system and is kind of all over the place.
                                I hate how people say that Mike believed in having the weight on the back foot at contact. He believes that the head needs to be centered over the rear leg. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand the concept of center of pressure, probably because he didn't feel it when he played. That's completely understandable.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X