X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by aimhigh View Post
    To be precise, Ted said that no one had to teach HIM about hip cock; but 25% of kids at the Little League age don't cock their hips. If we flip that around we can conclude that roughly 75% of kids hip cock naturally. With the kids that do it naturally it's important to NOT coach it out of them with bad drills. The other 25% will obviously have to be taught. When Ted begins talking about The Moves of The Hitter in the "TSOH", he starts off with the hip cock.

It wouldn't surprise me if fewer kids are hip cocking today than in the past because of how drills get passed around on the internet or through dvds.
    Pretty true, I think. Those 25% or whatever who don't do it-it's likely fear of the ball is a factor.The legs have to commit, going back and going forward, and if the commitment is not there then there is likely an element of fear.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
    pstein, I know you play. Do you coach and if so, what level?
    PM sent...

Leave a comment:

• Cannonball
    replied
    pstein, I know you play. Do you coach and if so, what level?

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    BTW is asked jake about th hip cock (go to the "contact" part on his site and he will usually answer any question within 24 hours).

He said that he is aware that williams liked the hip cock but he thinks that hip cock can lead to a lot of problems and should be introduced only to more advanced athletes.

He spends most of the time in getting the bat on plane, getting connected and getting the hips to lead the hands/shoulders.
    And this is where he's wrong. If you don't "cock" or "coil", you can't power the swing correctly.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    BTW is asked jake about th hip cock (go to the "contact" part on his site and he will usually answer any question within 24 hours).

He said that he is aware that williams liked the hip cock but he thinks that hip cock can lead to a lot of problems and should be introduced only to more advanced athletes.

He spends most of the time in getting the bat on plane, getting connected and getting the hips to lead the hands/shoulders.

Leave a comment:

• aimhigh
    replied
    Originally posted by omg View Post
    Yes, but as TW said, you shouldn't even have to teach hip cock because most hitters will and should do it naturally unless they have been coached out of it or they are afraid of the ball. So it's not necessarily a teach.
    To be precise, Ted said that no one had to teach HIM about hip cock; but 25% of kids at the Little League age don't cock their hips. If we flip that around we can conclude that roughly 75% of kids hip cock naturally. With the kids that do it naturally it's important to NOT coach it out of them with bad drills. The other 25% will obviously have to be taught. When Ted begins talking about The Moves of The Hitter in the "TSOH", he starts off with the hip cock.

It wouldn't surprise me if fewer kids are hip cocking today than in the past because of how drills get passed around on the internet or through dvds.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyhawk View Post
    Jake doesn't really teach the no stride or the foot down early...again, I think you are basing your Epstein ideas to their old teaching methods.
    I wasn't naming anybody in specific. Neither Epstein mentions "hip cock".

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by pstein View Post
    Most "rotational hitting" instruction coaches it out of kids. The "stop, drop (the front heel), pop (the rear heel)" drill will get rid of it. The "no stride, rotate" style of hitting coaches it out of hitters too. And, the "get the front foot down early" group coaches it out of kids. Combined, these three groups represent a large portion of the instructional community.
    Yes, I hate that, get tired of seeing it.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhawk
    replied
    Jake doesn't really teach the no stride or the foot down early...again, I think you are basing your Epstein ideas to their old teaching methods.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by omg View Post
    Yes, but as TW said, you shouldn't even have to teach hip cock because most hitters will and should do it naturally unless they have been coached out of it or they are afraid of the ball. So it's not necessarily a teach.
    Most "rotational hitting" instruction coaches it out of kids. The "stop, drop (the front heel), pop (the rear heel)" drill will get rid of it. The "no stride, rotate" style of hitting coaches it out of hitters too. And, the "get the front foot down early" group coaches it out of kids. Combined, these three groups represent a large portion of the instructional community.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by aimhigh View Post
    I bought my "On Target" dvds back in 2005ish. I have not seen the new dvds. By Mike's own admission, his "On Target" dvds were never meant to be all inclusive. Mike and Jake got a lot of feedback over the years from parents who bought the "On Target" dvds. I would hope that some of that feedback went into improving the new material.

The HUGE issue that I have with the "On Target" dvds, is that Mike left out any mention of the hip cock. You should have seen the look on my face when I bought "The Science of Hitting" and read how the hip cock was the most important move of the hitter. Not only did Mike leave that out of his "On Target" dvds, but his "Numbers Drill" has a tendency to coach the hip cock out of kids who hip cock naturally because his system is largely based on his belief that the heel drop triggers the swing.

Despite those shortcomings. I'm still glad I bought the dvds. Mikes material on how to get on plane with the pitch, and his description of what he calls the universal launch position are helpful.

Regardless of whether or not you buy his dvds; I recommend that you buy "The Science of Hitting" and read any other material from Ted you can get your hands on; and study Ted's views on hip usage, weight shift and balance.
    This is my primary issue with Epstein's material as well. Hip cock is unbelievably important.

Leave a comment:

• aimhigh
    replied
    Originally posted by djmas View Post
    Hello all,

Have any of you had the chance to check out the latest installment from Mike Epstein? I have been putting off getting his "On Target" dvd and was going to finally order that today. Well when I went to his site all I seen listed were his new dvd's that were released the beginning of this month. Just wanted to get some feedback before I went ahead and went with the old dvd's from another site, or if I should just invest in the new "Core Program" and "Advanced Drills" dvds.

your comments are greatly appreciated.

MV
    I bought my "On Target" dvds back in 2005ish. I have not seen the new dvds. By Mike's own admission, his "On Target" dvds were never meant to be all inclusive. Mike and Jake got a lot of feedback over the years from parents who bought the "On Target" dvds. I would hope that some of that feedback went into improving the new material.

The HUGE issue that I have with the "On Target" dvds, is that Mike left out any mention of the hip cock. You should have seen the look on my face when I bought "The Science of Hitting" and read how the hip cock was the most important move of the hitter. Not only did Mike leave that out of his "On Target" dvds, but his "Numbers Drill" has a tendency to coach the hip cock out of kids who hip cock naturally because his system is largely based on his belief that the heel drop triggers the swing.

Despite those shortcomings. I'm still glad I bought the dvds. Mikes material on how to get on plane with the pitch, and his description of what he calls the universal launch position are helpful.

Regardless of whether or not you buy his dvds; I recommend that you buy "The Science of Hitting" and read any other material from Ted you can get your hands on; and study Ted's views on hip usage, weight shift and balance.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhawk
    replied
    completely agree. You can certainly get a kid to have a different swing in 7 days and you can really make some great improvements, but once a real baseball is being thrown to the hitter and he has to react....they are going back to their old swing if they have only done it for 7 days. But, it can jump start the process with a student. I have many times grouped my lessons together where I give 4 lessons in 4 days. After that timeframe we have gotten through a ton of the basics of a good swing and can start to move onto the next phase needed.

Heck, when my kid worked with Jake, we worked on the same issue for 4 different lessons, so he certainly doesn't speed through it and try and just move on. Until the new movement has been done over and over again...you really can't just move on to the next step.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by JJA View Post
    He's definitely played it down these days, but this is what he says on his web site currently:

My experience suggests the journey from the Aware (Something New) Stage to the IT'S ME! (Natural) Stage requires "approximately" 1,500 diligent repetitions. However, please keep in mind every hitter is different! I have three, five and seven-day programs, however, I guarantee the 7-Day Program: the player will have the same "core" mechanics of 95% of baseball's Hall of Fame hitters—or you pay nothing.

Sorry, I simply cannot agree that you can get the "core" mechanics of a Hall of Famer with any 7-day program.
    I agree, you can't get into the "core'' mechanics of a Hall of Fame hitter with a 7-day program. In my experience, you need far more than 1500 repetitions, or you'll revert back to what you used to do in a game situation. I'd venture to say that you need between 3,000-5,000 to start doing things unconsciously. You need more than 5,000 to change mechanics permanantly.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X