No announcement yet.

I need advice on my son's swing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the advice. thank you all. its been a short time and again i am unfortunately not there with him so i dont want to overwhelm him with skype info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfdYN...ature=youtu.be
    Shut your mouth when you're talking to me!
    Leon says to Rameek, "Wait...you bothered to keep score? Didn't know your golf bag came with a calculator."

Comment

Noontime: I totally agree. Thats something that I would have to work on when I get back there. I think he loses power potential from that.

OMG: I totally agree with the what you said. I also told him about when he is preparing to swing his bat gets too flat then swinging which elongates the swing. Weak wobbly wrist action pissed me off.

He hit the ball to the fence should have been called a HR but the kid played it off the fence.

I think a lot of his negative adjustments were made by his coach. Like I said they want players to do things there way regardless of results. There was a stretch of time where my son had a strike out problem so they adjusted his swing to get the ball in play.

I never seen the hitting philosophy available on line. At least not in English. In Japan they are strong advocates for cutting the ball putting spin. Bat control is really key for all hitters.

Somethings I can tell him and he makes adjustments pretty quickly. Plus he watches clips of hitters religiously. A month later he has hit a few HR's more doubles and strong singles.

If anyone sees anything else in this new swing please let me know. We have weekly meetings about his swing.
      Leon says to Rameek, "Wait...you bothered to keep score? Didn't know your golf bag came with a calculator."

Comment

I enjoy watching these clips of the Japanese youth teams, and I noticed that the teams had the players coaching the bases, which I would not expect! Commonplace in Japan? BTW, your son showed nice patience there, and got his pitch to hit in this at-bat, which is half the battle!

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
          I enjoy watching these clips of the Japanese youth teams, and I noticed that the teams had the players coaching the bases, which I would not expect! Commonplace in Japan? BTW, your son showed nice patience there, and got his pitch to hit in this at-bat, which is half the battle!
          Well in Japan unless its an all star team or traveling team the kids coach the bases. Pretty much all elementary, junior high schools have teams and they practice the game daily unlike the US, every aspect of the game is coached. Coaches are most times parents that volunteer. Most schools dont have budgets to pay professional coaches. It does benefit the kids by seeing the game from a different perspective. They rotate the kids to be base coaches it keeps the kids in engaged.

Thank you. I gave my son a simple philosophy you swing at what you like on the half of the plate you like. But be aware of where they are calling strikes and balls. Once you get behind in the count foul off close pitches until you can square up a strike you like on the half of the plate you like. The philosophy changes based on situation though. I try to keep every aspect of the game simple for him so its easy to absorb and apply. I attack the big stuff let him work on it keeps his confidence up. Also it helps that he practices every day.

I'm not an overbearing sports dad. I ask how he's been doing and is it still fun. He made the Summer Traveling All-Star team he did well. He did struggle though in the beginning of the All Star team because all the kids were just as big and fast as he was the pitching jumped up quite a few notches. For some reason after the summer the coach changed things and I didnt know. Disgusting. But fortunately what I ingrained in him didnt take long to get back.
          Last edited by Infinite; 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Buh Bye BBF!
            Last edited by NoonTime; 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM.
            @noontimegifs

Comment

So I recently returned from Japan. Tried to do some work with my boy. This was his first day and swing with his new team. Only once practice the day before after not playing for 2 months.

Its funny that most of the kids from his elementary school joined a city club team as opposed to playing with the local junior high school team. My son had a difficult time hitting low balls and all his friends knows this so he wanted to show he now can do it. The result from the play I was told was a rocket to shortstop that surprised the player. This was an exhibition game his team was first year players 7th graders vs 3rd year players 9th graders.

http://youtu.be/nvlSFY0DFeA

I had him working on his timing.
              Swinging with more control.
              His turn building up energy (not starting open to the pitcher and then flying even more open).
              Power comes from the ground up.
              Let the body turn the bat.
              The hands will activate the bat when its time. (I felt his hands before came before everything.) If you start your motion early and its a curve or breaking pitch you can wait with stored energy then let it go.
              Rotate around the front leg.
              Hands inside the ball (he had a tendency to swing in a big circle disconnected, swinging over under lower or even middle pitches).

I think its an improvement took about 3 weeks to get to this point.

I tried to read all the information and previous threads as suggested and its difficult to translate it into Japanese. Please be as blunt and honest make corrections and suggestions.

Comment

I think his lower Body is improved but he is dropping his Hands to get to the ball (he should Keep his Hands up and tilt the Barrel down- and usually also the back shoulder).

this is killing any Separation and causing him to swing with his arms despite the better lower Body which means his lower Body is basically an Alibi Action. I would try delaying his Hand load. he loads his Hands before he strides. try to delay that load till he starts to swing, they Hands should still be going up/back when the back leg is starting to drive the hips open. this will likely eliminate his Hand drop and create some Stretch.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Here he is at toe touch.

erasebbf21.JPG

Nothing good can happen after this. Back elbow is already down. Hands too far away from shoulder. Back knee/foot is pointed back (afterwards his knee goes back first instead of forward/down - see GIF post#20) (have him turn his back foot slightly inward).
                  Last edited by songtitle; 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM.
                  efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                    I think his lower Body is improved but he is dropping his Hands to get to the ball (he should Keep his Hands up and tilt the Barrel down- and usually also the back shoulder).

this is killing any Separation and causing him to swing with his arms despite the better lower Body which means his lower Body is basically an Alibi Action. I would try delaying his Hand load. he loads his Hands before he strides. try to delay that load till he starts to swing, they Hands should still be going up/back when the back leg is starting to drive the hips open. this will likely eliminate his Hand drop and create some Stretch.
                    You're so right and I dont know how I missed that sequence. In some ways we are kind of building a Jose Bautista swing because he has the closest Japanese swing that I could find.

He told me he feels every swing is strong and more under control. But yes I will have him work on that sequence and tilt. I was aware of the tilt issue but I didnt want to overwhelm him in that short period of time.

Last edited by Infinite; 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM.

Comment

deleted by NoonTime
                      Last edited by NoonTime; 11-06-2013, 09:54 PM.
                      @noontimegifs

Comment

Some of this advice is scary. Get his right elbow up a little and see if you can't get his launch position closer to the shoulder area instead of so far back.

It's not rocket science, nor should it require a degree in kinesiology, LOL.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X