Triple playHow can thi be???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple playHow can thi be???

Got a friend who played semi-pro in the Montréal area in the eighties... He claims that a triple play is possible whitout the defensive team ever touching the ball (college rules of some sort) :scholar: Got till tomorrow to find an answer.... Can someone help me on that one 'cause I'm in total darkness and feel like
    '' Mr. Rickey, do you want a ball player who's afraid to fight back?'' Jackie Robinson

'' I want a ball player with guts enough NOT to fight back.'' Branch Rickey

Originally posted by Schlabotnick View Post
    Got a friend who played semi-pro in the Montréal area in the eighties... He claims that a triple play is possible whitout the defensive team ever touching the ball (college rules of some sort) :scholar: Got till tomorrow to find an answer.... Can someone help me on that one 'cause I'm in total darkness and feel like
    Runners first and second, nobody out.....batter hits ball fly in infield, infield fly rule, one out.....the runner on first not knowing where the ball is hit, runs past the man on second who is off the bag, two outs......the ball comes down hitting the man on second off the bag, three outs.....

Pretty unlikely, but I suppose possible. What do we win?
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Edit.... Well done! ^

I was typing as you were posting I guess.. I'll leave mine below though.

Some ideas...

Swing and miss on a passed ball
      Interference on a the ball in the third base line afte that pitch hit the umpires leg
      A runner missing a base (in college does the D have to touch the ball to appeal if the runner missed home and trotted into the dugout? - or touch the ball to appeal a missed base?)
      Batted ball hitting a runner
      Running start by a left batter who makes contact outside the batters box - but that's a dead ball right?

Put them together in a feasible order and you've got it.
      Last edited by StanTheMan; 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM.
      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Thanks for the fast answers... More specifically, the point he made clear, was that a certain college rule applied. The prize for the right answer??? How about a pair of tickets on the third base line behind the dugout of the next Official Montréal baseball team in the American league??
        '' Mr. Rickey, do you want a ball player who's afraid to fight back?'' Jackie Robinson

Comment

Right out of wikipedia

Political columnist and baseball enthusiast George Will, in a baseball quiz in Newsweek for April 6, 2009, p. 60, posed one hypothetical way that a triple play could occur with no fielder touching the ball. With runners on first and second and no outs, the batter hits an infield fly, and is automatically out: One out. The runner from first passes the runner from second and is called out for that rule's infraction. Two outs. Just after that, the falling ball hits the runner from second, who is called out for interference: Three outs.
          efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by Schlabotnick View Post
            Thanks for the fast answers... More specifically, the point he made clear, was that a certain college rule applied. The prize for the right answer??? How about a pair of tickets on the third base line behind the dugout of the next Official Montréal baseball team in the American league??
            Does your friend know the answer or is he passing along something he heard? Reason I ask is that I've seen the same question before, including a reference to "a college rule." Actually, I've seen a reference to its occurring "in a college game" on BBF. So I'm wondering if the "college" bit is an appendage to a meme/urban legend that's going around, making it a little more esoteric, perhaps first applied by someone who didn't know the MLB rules to cover the situation.

Just a guess. I don't get the "must be a college rule" part. Of course the rules quoted ARE college rules. The point of the question seems to be that a seemingly impossible event can occur, not the existence of a little-known college rule for going out. He threw his bat? He was illegally recruited and the opposing team appealed?

(Does it have to be a certain Canadian college rule, or are NCAA rules OK?)
            Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 10-21-2012, 03:44 PM.
            Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
              Right out of wikipedia
              It's not a new question if you've been around baseball long enough.....but it's good to know that, you know how to.....
              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

College Rule Version

OK, infield fly, passed runner, but instead of getting hit by the descending fly, the remaining runner proceeds to third and slides in a vicious manner, in an effort to injure the third baseman. The runner is called out and ejected. (NCAA BB rule book, rule 8, section 7)
                Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

The reason your friend knows this is because it came up during the ALDS Yankees vs Orioles. This happened to Buck Showwalter in the minors.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post
                    The reason your friend knows this is because it came up during the ALDS Yankees vs Orioles. This happened to Buck Showwalter in the minors.
                    Or, according to the friend, in college. I think the college rule version takes most of the fun out of it.

Also, WADR to Buck, I'd love to see a clipping from an account of that game.
                    Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post
                      On the angelswin.com forum, a contributor describes listening to Buck's account. In this version, it's an unassisted no-fielder-touch triple play that took place in an extended spring training game, so sorry, no place, date, teams, or clipping.

after the game, Buck drove home in the red t-bird he bought for $100 because a dead man had been in it for a month, with a bloody hook attached to the passenger seat window.

(edit: Actually, Buck's telling the story itself has taken on meme proportions. The date I see associated with his narration is May 8, 2008. But if you google showalter and unassisted triple play, you 'll get a bellyfull.)
                      Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 10-21-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I was playing in a game and saw something close. No outs, 2 strikes, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Squeeze: batter misses-1 out, runner barrels over catcher -2 outs (before the days you had to slide), runner on 2nd tries unsuccessfully to score-3 outs. Unassisted triple play.

Also saw something very, very close. Bases loaded, bottom of extra inning. Clean game winning hit to right field fence, 1 out. Runner on 1st is so happy he does not run to 2nd. Runner on 2nd is so happy he does not run to 3rd. Team starts celebrating. Umpire calls both runners out (double play) ending the inning and disallowing the run (in those years in hs ball there were no appeals-umpires just called runners out if they saw them miss a base).
                        Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
                          Does your friend know the answer or is he passing along something he heard? Reason I ask is that I've seen the same question before, including a reference to "a college rule." Actually, I've seen a reference to its occurring "in a college game" on BBF. So I'm wondering if the "college" bit is an appendage to a meme/urban legend that's going around, making it a little more esoteric, perhaps first applied by someone who didn't know the MLB rules to cover the situation.

Just a guess. I don't get the "must be a college rule" part. Of course the rules quoted ARE college rules. The point of the question seems to be that a seemingly impossible event can occur, not the existence of a little-known college rule for going out. He threw his bat? He was illegally recruited and the opposing team appealed?

(Does it have to be a certain Canadian college rule, or are NCAA rules OK?)

As far as I know for the moment, it was an NCAA rule. From our conversation at that moment, he seemed to know the answer but wanted me to try to find it .... Will keep you guys in the loop ASAP...

Comment

It is college rules that is the criteria
                            Last edited by Baseball gLove; 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
                              It is college rules that is the criteria
                              Do you mean "college rules, including at least one college rule that is not an MLB rule," as OP's friend seems to imply? Or just, "The solution has to be in accord with college rules" If the latter, then the question was answered in Mudvine's first reply. If you mean it has to include a rule unique to college ball, I think I answered it in post #14, no?
                              Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM. Reason: driend --> friend

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X