The bunt and slash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bunt and slash

So when is a good time to call this play? What is the criteria a coach looks for as opposed to letting the batter hit, some sort of bunt, or the hit and run?
    Major Figure

Originally posted by omg View Post
    So when is a good time to call this play? What is the criteria a coach looks for as opposed to letting the batter hit, some sort of bunt, or the hit and run?
    The best time to call for the bunt and slash is anytime you want your best hitter drilled in his next at bat.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
      The best time to call for the bunt and slash is anytime you want your best hitter drilled in his next at bat.
      Stole my answer. Also, if the pitcher sees him pull back in time, the slasher is going to get drilled most of the time. The pitcher has to protect his corner guys.

Comment

Why is that? What problem would an opposing pitcher have with a bunt and slash? I've seen it several times in the bigs this year, usually with a pitcher batting.
        Major Figure

Comment

Why is that? What problem would an opposing pitcher have with a bunt and slash? I've seen it several times in the bigs this year, usually with a pitcher batting.
          MLB is a different skill set. But if an infielder got injured on the play you know the best hitter would get one in the ribs his next at bat.

Comment

omg,
            Interesting topic.
            But in my experience (not MLB) bunt and slash is extremely rare. Like an ivory-billed woodpecker.
            Intentionally drilled batters are also rare, in my corner of the world.
            Internet baseball resembles Ty Cobb baseball.
            Last edited by skipper5; 10-23-2012, 08:27 PM.
            Skip

Comment

Do you have you hitters do it in practice, so you're infielders can practice defending against it?

If your answer is "yes", that's scary.

If your answer is "of course not", you have your answer to your question above as to why you don't pull it in HS baseball.

No need to put amateur players in what could possibly even be grave danger for a simple run or two. Rewards don't even remotely outweigh the risks.
              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
                omg,
                Interesting topic.
                But in my experience (not MLB) bunt and slash is extremely rare. Like an ivory-billed woodpecker.
                Intentionally drilled batters are also rare, in my corner of the world.
                Internet baseball resembles Ty Cobb baseball.
                Policing begins in high school. My son was allowed to be policeman on 3 batters before the umpire issued a second warning (there is always a warning in Pre-game). He picked off the first 2 to add insult to injury. By the way head hunting is never cool.

Peaking at catcher's signs will also earn a fastball in the back.

Comment

Part of practice for my 13 who starts high school next summer includes learning how to wear a pitch.

Comment

Okay, let me see. (Let's keep the retaliatory bean balls out of it for now). So, the thinking is that the bunt and slash is a dangerous play and therefore should not be used. I guess I should have said hs and above initially.

Yes, I can see this. It never really occurred to me that it is very dangerous. I don't want to see anybody get hurt.

But the batter a) is not necessarily taking a full swing and b) the fielders should really only be charging in probably to the point where they aren't any closer than what the pitcher would be. Of course, that's not saying a guy won't charge in willy nilly to a full swing line drive in the mouth.

I'll have to think about this. Is the bunt and slash really more dangerous than the suicide squeeze where the runner on third is sprinting home and that self-actualized batter, even after an acknowledgement, is never going to go brain dead and take a full swing? Should we not be squeezing either? I mean, if the defense knows the slash is a possibility maybe they won't always charge in willy-nilly in an obvious bunt situation. Maybe they will just charge to 70 feet and not 40 feet.
                    Should we stop having double plays just because a runner running into second might get one in the mouth from 3 feet because the runner failed to slide?

A little help on figuring this stuff out, please.
                    Major Figure

Comment

MLB is a different skill set. But if an infielder got injured on the play you know the best hitter would get one in the ribs his next at bat.
                      Yes. In the bigs of course the slash is a legit play but in kiddie ball this is just dangerous because the kids don't have the right reactions to deal with that.

In MLB you have to do this occasionally to keep the fielders honest but I don't think there is a reason to do this anywhere below HS level. LaRussa used that a lot with his pitchers. they would always square up to bunt an occasionally pull back and swing away.
                      Last edited by dominik; 10-24-2012, 06:09 AM.
                      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

The slash or "butcher boy" is banned in most rec leagues in our area, and in the local travel league as well. Typically it's an auto eject for the player and the 3rd base coach.

Comment

Originally posted by ralanprod View Post
                          The slash or "butcher boy" is banned in most rec leagues in our area, and in the local travel league as well. Typically it's an auto eject for the player and the 3rd base coach.
                          That's interesting. Do you know what ages or levels it would start to be allowed, if any?
                          Major Figure

Comment

Speaking of retaliation my son took one in the back for breaking up a no-hitter with a bunt in the 7th (last inning). He violated one of the unwritten rules of baseball. However, through his eyes he was leading of the last inning, losing 1-0 looking for a way to get on. He was bunted to second, stoled third and scored when the throw went into left. He got drilled two innings later. This is one where I agree with my son. But I understood the coach's approach.

Comment

Buh Bye BBF!
                              Last edited by NoonTime; 11-07-2013, 07:24 PM.
                              @noontimegifs

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X