critique sons pitching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• critique sons pitching...

just turned 16 last week. junior in h.s. throws in the very low 80's. 6ft lefty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmA04uNkZwY&feature=plcp

Looks good in regular speed and he is a lefty! Lucky stiff. :gt

Can you slow it down about to 1/4 speed and repost to youtube?

Comment

Originally posted by baileyrx View Post
      just turned 16 last week. junior in h.s. throws in the very low 80's. 6ft lefty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmA04uNkZwY&feature=plcp
      Not that I'd dispute you but those mechs don't look low 80's, saying that, there are several things I'd bring to your attention (And he will get into the 80's no doubt..not by my recommendations but by desire and growth).
      My first recommendation is conditioning..this guy needs some...add protein to his diet and get his some serious gym time over the rest of this winter, he doesn't need beach muscle, he needs to develop his lower half and core....and get them engaged in his delivery (My personal belief is that the arm alone can get a kid into the 80's with hard work but without the bottom half being integrated into the delivery...the upper 80's-90's are unattainable)..here is an example of lower half involvement..it's a righty but you get the idea better from it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BtnHOkX1gk. Many types of drills out there..but instead of just doing random drills..get him to someone who knows how to develop a pitcher, who can work with the entire picture and make tweaks as he progresses....why?? Because anytime you make physical adjustments, a kids/pitchers timing will also be affected, it is very important at higher velo's to work with an eye towards that possibility and tweak accordingly as those velos are achieved

Next I'd have him do some research..you too, into what Paul Nyman calls intent, you can "want" to throw fast, but until you develop it as an asset it is a vague thing. I like long toss for working on that aspect but it is likely to cause an argument about long toss...no matter, there are several means and methods to help integrate intent into a delivery.

I also think he's a bit weak on his front side...but I wouldn't have that as a top of the list concern and a personal coach will fix on that....
      He is in an excellent position to take it to the next level...he looks like a pitcher..a big deal...obviously understands the position...You will have some great times over the next few years...film and savor as much as you can, it's gone before you know it...even when he makes it to the next level...bam gone in a minute...Have fun.

Comment

He looks good to me. When you slow it down by frame, his technique looks good. Seems like he should be throwing faster though.

Keep adding weight and strength.

Can you post a catcher view? Maybe we can spot something from that angle.
        Last edited by songtitle; 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM.
        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

thanks for the comments guys..

on this day he topped out at 81 and averaged 78-79. it was actually in august. i have another video from 2 weeks ago(10/13/12) where he was in the 80-81 range and topped out at 83 once or twice.

i've been a lurker on this forum for awhile and finally decided to post some up...

he's not pitching a lot right now, he probably stop for the the next month or two, and hopefully I can convince him to get some more conditioning in... he does go to the gym with his high school team 2-3 times a week.. i'll keep you posted

Comment

he's not pitching a lot right now, he probably stop for the the next month or two,
            Good.

hopefully I can convince him to get some more conditioning in... he does go to the gym with his high school team 2-3 times a week..
            As I said, add some protein, throwing weights is ok but conditioning is the whole taco, work on athleticism and not necessarily baseball oriented...I love to see guys work with the wrestling team or swim team, track team..whole body stuff..martial arts...even yoga is good (The Mets old pitching coach Rick Peterson was big on that), these kinds of things make his body able to withstand the added efforts of throwing faster, over a season (You'll find in college, if they don't condition completely they generally get injured when the amount of mound load increases).

Comment

Bailey ... My son had protein shakes for breakfast and an after school snack for three months. Combined with weightlifting he added twenty-five pounds in three months. It was all solid weight, not fat. It did help he was ready to grow. He was 5'11", 135 at the beginning of the three months. Do not buy anything at GNC. You never know what's in their stuff. MLB pitchers have been suspended after consuming enhancers they were told were legal. We got my son's protein at Whole Foods.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                Bailey ... My son had protein shakes for breakfast and an after school snack for three months. Combined with weightlifting he added twenty-five pounds in three months. It was all solid weight, not fat. It did help he was ready to grow. He was 5'11", 135 at the beginning of the three months. Do not buy anything at GNC. You never know what's in their stuff. MLB pitchers have been suspended after consuming enhancers they were told were legal. We got my son's protein at Whole Foods.
                ya, i think we're going to going with this. i'm a pharmacist and did quite a bit of exercise & research when i was younger (44 now) including amino acids, chromium pic. and other protein shakes.. he playes basketball and is into other sports, although he doesn't play for his h.s.

Comment

here's another video from last weekend. some out of the stretch this time
                  warmup
                  1st batter- e5
                  2nd batter- sac bunt (i've always stressed him to be a great fielder-PITCHER FIELDING POSITION- PFP)
                  3rd batter-walk
                  juke & pickoff at 2nd going to 3rd. runner on 1st goes to second, then steals 3rd on ball in the dirt
                  4th batter- k on curveball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMovyh2o-Wg

i'm not savy enough to cut, splice & slow the video down... maybe over the winter I'll work on my editing skills

Comment

I have nothing to add other than to notice that you're apparently from right here in my neck of the woods. Good to see someone from NC on here.

Personally, I'd love to see some video from behind the catcher. (As already mentioned.)

Comment

Originally posted by baileyrx View Post
                      thanks for the comments guys..

on this day he topped out at 81 and averaged 78-79. it was actually in august. i have another video from 2 weeks ago(10/13/12) where he was in the 80-81 range and topped out at 83 once or twice.

i've been a lurker on this forum for awhile and finally decided to post some up...

he's not pitching a lot right now, he probably stop for the the next month or two, and hopefully I can convince him to get some more conditioning in... he does go to the gym with his high school team 2-3 times a week.. i'll keep you posted
                      Nolan Ryan, in his "Nolan Ryan Pitching Bible", stated he would take off at least a month from baseball to "recharge" his batteries.

I'm glad our 14U team took the fall off. I have my 14 y.o. doing P90X and after 7 weeks I can see a bicep forming. lol

Comment

this was his first year of travel ball of any type. he has always had the summer and fall off, until this year...

he has now read this thread... hopefully it will give him more motivation than he already has!!!

Comment

added some slo-mo video using an $1.99 app for my wifes iPad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpma24KHZ5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A-9CMLdZ48

and 1 swing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ9o6o-PxM0

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X