Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• player selection

Need some advice or thoughts here.
    Have a player on our team who is very raw, new to our team this fall. He was added for his future potential (he is a lefty pitcher, throws very hard, and shows tremendous power capability at the plate.) Defensively he is well below our skill level and has yet to have been taught and receive reps to improve. His dad says he wanted to be on our team more than any other, and he is working his butt off hitting everyday. However his dad understands that he is on our team for his potential, and he sees very limited meaningful innings in tournament play unless he is on the bump. Both the kid and the dad have expressed nothing but satisfaction so far with his situation. My question is, is this doing the kid a disservice? Am I being selfish and slowing the growth he might receive by playing more on a different team by keeping him just for his pitching now and future potential? Or is that offset by him practicing with our kids every week and seeing a higher level? In the last few days Ive had some conversations with some who feel he should be let go for the concerns above and wanted to get some fresh perspective.

What age? Do you think between your practices, and putting in work on his own, he can get to play more? If were me, and I didn't feel that was te end game, I would try and get him on a team that's a better fit.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post
      What age? Do you think between your practices, and putting in work on his own, he can get to play more? If were me, and I didn't feel that was te end game, I would try and get him on a team that's a better fit.
      Its certainly my hope that he will have a pretty quick learning curve due to his relative inexperience, in fact I can project him DH'ing next year. The problem is his defense. He plays if we are up or down big and the ball always seems to find the poor kid. We knew what we were getting and he is a great kid, very nice and kind family, and everyone seemed happy with it, its just recently people have made me have second thoughts as to whether its fair to the kid even if he seems happy.
      its 11u

Comment

11U kid should play. if he is not advanced enough for that level let him play at a lower level were he can hold his own.

you should not really bench a 11U kids because he has potential. I think he should learn his craft in a team that is at his current level and then go to a higher team. is his pitching ready or just potential there too?
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Personally if the parents and player are happy with the situation, then I'd keep him on the team. It sounds like he's getting reps in practice, and getting in some game experience when possible. Any way you approach the family about this, there's a strong possibility it will get interpreted that he's not good enough to play and he's being cut. (I understand that's not your intent.) At some point he may want to play on a team where he gets more game experience, but until then I'd stick with him.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
            11U kid should play. if he is not advanced enough for that level let him play at a lower level were he can hold his own.

you should not really bench a 11U kids because he has potential. I think he should learn his craft in a team that is at his current level and then go to a higher team. is his pitching ready or just potential there too?
            He has pitched fairly well and has been used for an inning of work here and there. Again very raw as far as mound presence, holding runners and fielding his position, but has shown decent command and does throw as hard if not harder than anyone we have. He is taking hitting and pitching lessons outside our team and I'm working with him on outfield and 1b. I mean the kid is just working. But he will probably not be solid enough to play critical innings in the field by next spring. In my head I keep thinking "whose spot could he take realistically " and drawing blanks. But he could hit and pitch a bunch.

Comment

How many players are on your team and are you AAA/Major? Also, are you only batting 9 or is it a continuous lineup through your whole team?

Comment

I would want this kid on my team. If he has the work ethic you describe, it's going to rub off on your other players. Even if he is a liability defensively, get him decent at a couple of positions. He will make plays and your team will go crazy for it.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhawk View Post
                  How many players are on your team and are you AAA/Major? Also, are you only batting 9 or is it a continuous lineup through your whole team?
                  He is the twelfth..we bat them all always Saturday and usually but not always Sunday. He can hit Saturday pitching but struggles on Sunday still. Granted a small sample size. Yes 11maj.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekD View Post
                    I would want this kid on my team. If he has the work ethic you describe, it's going to rub off on your other players. Even if he is a liability defensively, get him decent at a couple of positions. He will make plays and your team will go crazy for it.
                    we put him in in the last inning of the finals last weekend at first..he made the last out at first one a two hopper slice which he caught with his meat hand..haha..but he did make the play and it was pretty cool!

Comment

I had a friend of mine go through a similar situation with his softball team. He told the girls dad that he thought it was in her best interest to play somewhere else so she could play more. The dad took it as them wanting to cut the girl. The girl and her mom were in tears because the girl didn't have a lot of friends outside of the team. Turns out the girl was perfectly happy sitting on the bench and she is still on their team.

Of all the kids to take a chance on, a hardworking lefty with an arm would at the top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by d-mac View Post
                        I had a friend of mine go through a similar situation with his softball team. He told the girls dad that he thought it was in her best interest to play somewhere else so she could play more. The dad took it as them wanting to cut the girl. The girl and her mom were in tears because the girl didn't have a lot of friends outside of the team. Turns out the girl was perfectly happy sitting on the bench and she is still on their team.

Of all the kids to take a chance on, a hardworking lefty with an arm would at the top of the list.
                        Amen to that Dmac..I'm thinking he stays also..he may stay permanently after all is said and done. Good to hear from the AK express..u guys get an invite to tbs qualifier in dfw?

Comment

Originally posted by d-mac View Post
                          THIS! If you see the raw potential and the kid is willing to work on his own, you can't ask for more. At any age, kids who work hard and have the raw athletic talent can catch up to the fundamentals quickly. A hard throwing lefty gives the kid quite a few extra brownie points.

Comment

I think at 11 years old, even in Major, the kid ought to be playing a minimum of 3 innings. The fact that he is a hard worker makes it even better. I know you said the ball just seems to find the kid, but the law of averages will take care of that. Put him in the outfield and keep working with him. Seems like a good kid with great parents.

Comment

Originally posted by raptor View Post
                              we put him in in the last inning of the finals last weekend at first..he made the last out at first one a two hopper slice which he caught with his meat hand..haha..but he did make the play and it was pretty cool!
                              can't you split him between pitching and RF? give him 2 innings to pitch and another inning or two in RF and when he not pitches a pinch hit experience. he doesn't have to play all the time.
                              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X