Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Swing to Analyze - 13 YO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I see the hips firing, and the swing "connected". I don't see the hands leading the swing.
    IMO, when nothing's broken, don't fix it.
    The look of the lower body turning doesn't necessarily mean it's powering something. I can turn my hips open, then shove the knob with my arms, and the lower body won't be an appreciable power source.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by NoonTime View Post
      Here are the 4th and 5th swings from the clip above



      P.S. - For tradosaurus and other who want to see clips slowed down a bit... it's preferable (to me anyway) if you post the clip at full speed on youtube. Once it's GIF'd you can play it back at slower speeds or go through it frame by frame. Even if you don't know how to makes GIFs... you can get free browser plugins to turn youtube clips into quicktime playable movies on your own computer which you can then slow down or frame by frame yourself. See step 1) in the making GIFs thread here: http://baseballdebate.proboards.com/...3&page=1#39030 . PM me is you need additional help.
      Looks good.

      The main point is whether he is comfortable? Also is the ball positioned high enough for your son?

      When I have my son hit off a tee I have him position it at the height that he looks for from a pitcher, his take it to the yard pitch. LOL

      Another point is whether your son has proper plate coverage with the length of bat he is using? I noticed on my sons 13U travel team that at least 4 kids (including my son) were too far off the plate.

      Also pick up the book "The Science of Hitting" by Ted Williams.

      Comment


      • #18
        Thanks for the .gifs NoonTime.

        Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
        The main point is whether he is comfortable? Also is the ball positioned high enough for your son?
        Yeah, I think so. The vids were taken (just goofing around) as my son was warming up for a BP session. He normally starts with the tee middle/middle, then moves the tee to the low/away location, so I'd guess the vids are from the beginning of his warmups - might explain a small lack of intensity in the swing - or might be the move to the drop 3 - not really sure.

        I'll try to get some better vids later this week. Thanks for everyone's help.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by pstein View Post
          Coil the rear hip and stretch the hands from the rear hip.
          Thanks - but can you explain a bit - want to make sure I understand correctly.

          Comment


          • #20
            Would like to see him get rid of the shoulder rest thing...not sure if he does that in-game as a timing mechanism?

            Seems like he has an effortless and simple swing that could benefit him, especially on off-speed pitches. Would only suggest he bends at the knees a bit, which will encourage more lower body involvement. And also starting with the bat more vertical, to remove any chance of "wrapping" that creates a long swing.

            After looking at the swing some more...his back foot isn't fully rotating and back leg isn't getting close to the "power L". Guess that's why I suggested he bend at the knees a bit.

            Instead of slow and steady hip action, get him to really cock the hips with force. You can literally do dry hip action drills that will bring his hands forward without him moving them. That might trigger something in his brain to fire the hips and then explode with the hands.
            Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by 271 View Post
              Thanks for the .gifs NoonTime.

              Yeah, I think so. The vids were taken (just goofing around) as my son was warming up for a BP session. He normally starts with the tee middle/middle, then moves the tee to the low/away location, so I'd guess the vids are from the beginning of his warmups - might explain a small lack of intensity in the swing - or might be the move to the drop 3 - not really sure.

              I'll try to get some better vids later this week. Thanks for everyone's help.
              If he is comfortable and hitting the ball well in games then I wouldn't start jacking with his swing.

              Comment


              • #22
                The OP submitted video of his son hitting off a tee.
                Usually, "intent to rip" is lacking in tee swings.
                Therefore, it can be a waste of time to judge hip-action based on these swings.
                Example: Arod hitting of the tee.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZy1nJtVZU
                Skip

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
                  The OP submitted video of his son hitting off a tee.
                  Usually, "intent to rip" is lacking in tee swings.
                  Therefore, it can be a waste of time to judge hip-action based on these swings.
                  Example: Arod hitting of the tee.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZy1nJtVZU
                  Yes, this is true, absolutely.
                  Major Figure

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                    After looking at the swing some more...his back foot isn't fully rotating and back leg isn't getting close to the "power L". Guess that's why I suggested he bend at the knees a bit.

                    Instead of slow and steady hip action, get him to really cock the hips with force. You can literally do dry hip action drills that will bring his hands forward without him moving them. That might trigger something in his brain to fire the hips and then explode with the hands.
                    I am working on all of this with my 10 year-old son. Can you point me to some photos of the part bolded above? I'd like to get an idea of what to look for.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by pcarnette View Post
                      I am working on all of this with my 10 year-old son. Can you point me to some photos of the part bolded above? I'd like to get an idea of what to look for.
                      Sure, here are some from just randomly seaching guys on google.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X