X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by pcarnette View Post
    I am working on all of this with my 10 year-old son. Can you point me to some photos of the part bolded above? I'd like to get an idea of what to look for.
    Sure, here are some from just randomly seaching guys on google.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pcarnette
    replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    After looking at the swing some more...his back foot isn't fully rotating and back leg isn't getting close to the "power L". Guess that's why I suggested he bend at the knees a bit.

Instead of slow and steady hip action, get him to really cock the hips with force. You can literally do dry hip action drills that will bring his hands forward without him moving them. That might trigger something in his brain to fire the hips and then explode with the hands.
    I am working on all of this with my 10 year-old son. Can you point me to some photos of the part bolded above? I'd like to get an idea of what to look for.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
    The OP submitted video of his son hitting off a tee.
    Usually, "intent to rip" is lacking in tee swings.
    Therefore, it can be a waste of time to judge hip-action based on these swings.
    Example: Arod hitting of the tee.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZy1nJtVZU
    Yes, this is true, absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied
    The OP submitted video of his son hitting off a tee.
    Usually, "intent to rip" is lacking in tee swings.
    Therefore, it can be a waste of time to judge hip-action based on these swings.
    Example: Arod hitting of the tee.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZy1nJtVZU

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    replied
    Originally posted by 271 View Post
    Thanks for the .gifs NoonTime.

Yeah, I think so. The vids were taken (just goofing around) as my son was warming up for a BP session. He normally starts with the tee middle/middle, then moves the tee to the low/away location, so I'd guess the vids are from the beginning of his warmups - might explain a small lack of intensity in the swing - or might be the move to the drop 3 - not really sure.

I'll try to get some better vids later this week. Thanks for everyone's help.
    If he is comfortable and hitting the ball well in games then I wouldn't start jacking with his swing.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Would like to see him get rid of the shoulder rest thing...not sure if he does that in-game as a timing mechanism?

Seems like he has an effortless and simple swing that could benefit him, especially on off-speed pitches. Would only suggest he bends at the knees a bit, which will encourage more lower body involvement. And also starting with the bat more vertical, to remove any chance of "wrapping" that creates a long swing.

After looking at the swing some more...his back foot isn't fully rotating and back leg isn't getting close to the "power L". Guess that's why I suggested he bend at the knees a bit.

Instead of slow and steady hip action, get him to really cock the hips with force. You can literally do dry hip action drills that will bring his hands forward without him moving them. That might trigger something in his brain to fire the hips and then explode with the hands.
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by pstein View Post
    Coil the rear hip and stretch the hands from the rear hip.
    Thanks - but can you explain a bit - want to make sure I understand correctly.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thanks for the .gifs NoonTime.

Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
    The main point is whether he is comfortable? Also is the ball positioned high enough for your son?
    Yeah, I think so. The vids were taken (just goofing around) as my son was warming up for a BP session. He normally starts with the tee middle/middle, then moves the tee to the low/away location, so I'd guess the vids are from the beginning of his warmups - might explain a small lack of intensity in the swing - or might be the move to the drop 3 - not really sure.

I'll try to get some better vids later this week. Thanks for everyone's help.

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    replied
    Originally posted by NoonTime View Post
    Here are the 4th and 5th swings from the clip above

P.S. - For tradosaurus and other who want to see clips slowed down a bit... it's preferable (to me anyway) if you post the clip at full speed on youtube. Once it's GIF'd you can play it back at slower speeds or go through it frame by frame. Even if you don't know how to makes GIFs... you can get free browser plugins to turn youtube clips into quicktime playable movies on your own computer which you can then slow down or frame by frame yourself. See step 1) in the making GIFs thread here: http://baseballdebate.proboards.com/...3&page=1#39030 . PM me is you need additional help.
    Looks good.

The main point is whether he is comfortable? Also is the ball positioned high enough for your son?

When I have my son hit off a tee I have him position it at the height that he looks for from a pitcher, his take it to the yard pitch. LOL

Another point is whether your son has proper plate coverage with the length of bat he is using? I noticed on my sons 13U travel team that at least 4 kids (including my son) were too far off the plate.

Also pick up the book "The Science of Hitting" by Ted Williams.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I see the hips firing, and the swing "connected". I don't see the hands leading the swing.
    IMO, when nothing's broken, don't fix it.
    The look of the lower body turning doesn't necessarily mean it's powering something. I can turn my hips open, then shove the knob with my arms, and the lower body won't be an appreciable power source.

Leave a comment:

• pstein
    replied
    Thanks - any suggestions on how to improve?
    Coil the rear hip and stretch the hands from the rear hip. Use the back arm (scapula) to bring the hands back. Scapular retraction is the technical name for it. Turn the barrel with the "hands" (not anatomical sense, baseball sense) and then the body will move the barrel to the ball.

This is why people see "maintain the hinge angle", because their (MLB player's) hands are in the same position in space relative to the body.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    replied
    You can play youtube by frame now. Hit 'pause', then 'right' or 'left' arrows.

Leave a comment:

• NoonTime
    replied
    Buh Bye BBF!
    Last edited by NoonTime; 11-07-2013, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied

, I do agree that the lower body isn't providing as much power as it should.

!
    It could be that a fair sample of his game-swings would show more lower body power.
    Most batters swing somewhat less aggressively off the tee.
    Sometimes intentionally, to slow it down and "feel" something they're working on; sometimes for no particular reason...habit?
    The swing-clips I've seen of MLB'ers (e.g., Arod and Pujols) off the tee show them swinging less aggessively than their game swings.
    For sure, that's intentional on their part.
    When my son hits off the tee, he grunts with effort.
    I assume his lower body off the tee matches his game-swing.
    I'm not saying that full-effort tee swings are best.

BTW, in terms of keeping the bat in the contact zone longer:
    One approach is to place the tee deeper on the plate to get the bat on plane sooner.
    Another approach is to place the tee farther out front of the plate (trying to hit it up the middle to entice the batter to get off the backside, etc., to keep the bat on plane longer (as opposed to "spinning off the ball.")
    When I hit off the tee, I experiment with both.
    Last edited by skipper5; 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thanks all,

Mud - I'll need to spend time digesting those clips to understand the subtle differences between the various hitters, but I think I understand what you're driving at in regards to getting the barrel on path and driving through the ball.

Moving the tee back in his stance is just a drill to help him understand getting on plane quickly and then driving through the ball, right? We're not trying to teach him that the actual contact zone for a middle pitch is that deep - did I understand that part correctly?

If so, that drill might also help improve his occasional tendency to "run out of bat" on off speed pitches as his barrel is not in the hitting zone very long. We occasionally will work on that by placing two tees, one about 6" directly in front of the other and have him hit both balls hard, but I can envision that just having one tee deeper in the zone will force him to get on plane quicker and helping to drive through the ball.

Gotta admit though, the drill the two kids are doing in your clip is over my head. Still trying to figure that out.

Skip, I see the front shoulder/hips and rear heal all start the swing at the same time, so I wonder if that's where pstein is coming from. I'd like to see some separation in the timing between the rear heal, rear knee, hips and shoulders, but don't know how to work on that. So, I'm with you in that I don't see the hands "pushing", I do agree that the lower body isn't providing as much power as it should. Pstein, sorry if that's not exactly what you meant!

While this is just my 4th post, I've been lurking long enough to know that it's really easy to misunderstand someone's comments on the internet - so I'm trying hard not to mess up here.

Which leads me to tradosaurus - what?

Thanks so much for the help!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X