Man spends $50,000 on "revenge team" charged with stalking & harassment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man spends $50,000 on "revenge team" charged with stalking & harassment

A long Island youth baseball parent/coach spent $50,000 on a "revenge team" to beat the traveling team where his son "failed to flourish", the Long Island Infernos.

The guy, Robert Sanfilippo, ended up being charged with harassment and stalking of the Infernos' coach and the coach's family. YIKES!

So much time, energy, and money wasted If he had only spent that time helping the kids and spent the money on batting instruction instead of $300 customized helmets.

Here are two articles about it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...234536826.html

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/o...Y6kMW35dUDvCyN

My apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a thread about this yet.
    Last edited by Xraf; 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM. Reason: clarity

Originally posted by Xraf View Post
    A long Island youth baseball parent/coach spent $50,000 on "revenge team" to beat the team his son "failed to flourish on the Long Island Infernos traveling baseball team."

The guy, Robert Sanfilippo, ended up being charged with harassment and stalking of the Inferno's team coach and the coach's family. YIKES!

So much time, energy, and money wasted If he had only spent that time helping the kids and spent the money on batting instruction instead of $300 customized helmets.

Here are two articles about it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...234536826.html

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/o...Y6kMW35dUDvCyN

My apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a thread about this yet.
    Fascinating story.
    Personally, I don't think it reflects on youth sports so much as it reflects on the fact that in a country of 300 million, at least a million of them are bound to be crazy and twisted.
    Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
      Fascinating story.
      Personally, I don't think it reflects on youth sports so much as it reflects on the fact that in a country of 300 million, at least a million of them are bound to be crazy and twisted.
      True. It's just a sad sad story.

The story kind of eluded to the fact that after spending all that money he still couldn't get it done on the field. $50,000! When I saw the number at first I thought it was $5,000. I would settle for $1,000 to blow on equipment for the Little League team! An extra bat that is decent, a couple of helmets that fit the kids... but most of all some additional equipment for practice

Comment

The name of the team was a clear giveaway as to its purpose.

Comment

If you've got $50k, I don't think it's that ridiculous to fund a team. I'd do it, if I had that kind of extra money. It costs close to that to run a tournament team, including travel. However, if your purpose is revenge, it seems stupid to recruit "players cut from other teams."

Comment

I'm not going to defend this guy...but usually there is enough blame to go around here...shame on the parents for not smelling something fishy with this guy spending 1000s of dollars on their kids. ..as well as the coach on the former team that probably had his own character flaws ... These things are rarely one sided.

Doesn't justify this guys behavior in the least....just the recognition that there is more than one a-hole on the island.

Comment

IMO, the "revenge team" was the least disturbing of the things this crazy guy (allegedly) did.

Comment

Originally posted by Xraf View Post
                after spending all that money he still couldn't get it done on the field.
                Are you talking about the Marlins or the Red Sox?

:clowning:

Comment

Originally posted by giantheart View Post
                  Doesn't justify this guys behavior in the least....just the recognition that there is more than one a-hole on the island.
                  OK, I'm confused.....are you still talking about the $50K TB team, so some hitting thread forumers posting on the Internet?
                  In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Last edited by songtitle; 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM.
                    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

For the same price i would start five teams providing access to travel ball for kids whose families can't afford it.

Comment

nah...the TB team.... the hitting thread was useful

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X