X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • giantheart
    • Nov 2011

avoiding collisions at the plate at 8U/9U

Do your leagues have rules for this? how? what rules?

Assuming you are allowed to steal home from third, I don't understand how one can avoid the potential for a collision at the plate from a passed ball/wild pitch.

I was told by someone who is knowledgeable that little league has rules to avoid this. is that true?
  • Standballdad
    • May 2011

Originally posted by giantheart View Post

Assuming you are allowed to steal home from third, I don't understand how one can avoid the potential for a collision at the plate from a passed ball/wild pitch.

I was told by someone who is knowledgeable that little league has rules to avoid this. is that true?
    Any play at the plate the runner must slide feet first or the runner is out

Comment

• ralanprod
      • Dec 2006

You can have a "must slide" rule, but there is always going to be the possibility for a collision - especially at that age. Kids just brain lock at times.

If safety is a concern, just establish a rule that runners on third can only advance on a hit/walk/force of some kind. At that age it would probably make for a better game anyway.

Comment

• Baseball gLove
        • Jun 2006

When my son was 9 he weighed 110 lbs and wiped out the catcher and was given a firm warning. The 2nd time he trucked a catcher he was out and ejected from the game. He hasn't done that since. Despite his lack of speed he's pretty good at sliding around the tag.

Comment

• Broccoli1
          • Oct 2012

In our Fall ball league it is the same as mentioned above- slide or the runner is out. We are not allowed to steal home nor 1st to 2nd, only 2nd to 3rd and no advance on an overthrow if the catcher does throw to 3rd.

So far I've seen more action in right field chasing butterflies

Comment

• DerekD
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by giantheart View Post

As has already been stated, there will be collisions at the plate. Little League does not have a must slide rule. They do state that the runner must attempt to avoid contact. This means that there could still be contact. The best way to try to decrease the contact is by teaching the catcher and pitcher (or anyone else that could cover home) proper positioning at the plate.

Comment

• Standballdad
              • May 2011

Originally posted by DerekD View Post
              As has already been stated, there will be collisions at the plate. Little League does not have a must slide rule. They do state that the runner must attempt to avoid contact. This means that there could still be contact. The best way to try to decrease the contact is by teaching the catcher and pitcher (or anyone else that could cover home) proper positioning at the plate.
              Technically you are right, a runner going home with the catcher waiting to make the tag must either avoid the tag/ catcher, return to third or he must slide. If he goes in standing up he will be called out. There is no contact while standing up allowed.

Comment

• DerekD
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
                Technically you are right, a runner going home with the catcher waiting to make the tag must either avoid the tag/ catcher, return to third or he must slide. If he goes in standing up he will be called out. There is no contact while standing up allowed.
                If an umpire is just calling a runner out because he went in standing up, that umpire is wrong. I'm talking about LL rules.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X