Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glove suggestions for son heading to high school next year

Hi all,

My son is 13+ and an avid baseball player...primarily SS, 3B, and P. Very strong arm but hasn't hit his growth spurt yet (he used to be a big kid 3-4years ago but is now average size). He's played 1 year on the big field already and is at the point where he is gravitating out of his "youth" equipment, and the most important thing on his Christmas list is his first "adult" glove. As a former player myself, I know your glove is your best friend and I'd like to get him something special, but budget dictates shopping carefully.

I'd like to get him a 11 1/2-12" pitcher/IF glove and hopefully down the road a 12 1/2" or so OF/backup glove. I'm really trying to hone in on the primary P/IF glove and would like ideas and suggestions to take a look at. I'd like something that is durable that he can break in and use during the spring season and have it fully ready to go for summer and high school tryouts. Budget-wise, I'd like to stay around $100-$150 max. If there is something I really need to look at above that, let me know...I'm not a $400 bat guy, but I know how critical the glove is.

I'll be honest, I'm also thinking of giving up the "Santa" thing and taking HIM out with me as his coach and his dad for him to pick something out, but again, any help in steering me in the right direction is helpful. I might add he's also a 3 year umpire and did his first Majors plate game this fall, and oh yeah, he's a straight A student.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
    Last edited by RSMBob; 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM.

cant go wrong with a rawlings heart of the hide.check ebay you should be able to stay well below 200 and get what your looking for. your on the right track to stay with a 11 1/2 for the positions you named.

Comment

You can often find a2000s 1786 on ebay in around your price range

Comment

Glovesmith top line(s) are excellent, and offer customization options. He will get his name embroidered on the thumb in the color of his choice. Pick the lacing color, web design, glove size, leather color, etc.

My son has a Glovesmith ELITE which is just beyond your price range but worth considering in my opinion. It is very stout needing break in work, and will last forever with proper care. At the same time, it's not too heavy that makes it difficult to play with like a Rawlings Tank. I mean Rawlings Primo, sorry. . We have two custom Mizuno's in the house and I like the Glovesmith best.

The two of you could sit at the computer with their "glove buillder" application and check out all the color combos, web choices etc. You never know, he may pick out a red leather glove with gold laces and a unique web if that matches his school colors.

It won't be here in time for Christmas, but the uniqueness might be worth it. Rawlings, Mizuno and other glovemakers have similar custom programs, but are more expensive (usually starting at $299).

I ordered at customglove.com and received excellent service, incliding answers to my questions from the owners of the site, and more. They have glovebuilder apps for SIX companiers there. It's Flash based, so no iPhone/iPad but PC or Mac and you're good.

Last edited by StanTheMan; 12-11-2012, 05:27 AM.
        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Mizuno Classic pro
          I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

The important thing is something he's comfortable with... I'd buy it now so he can break it in for HS.

A2000 are nice... I have an Adidas.
            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

I would have him go in and try several models on. Glove is hugely based on individual preference. Stay with the higher end glove models like, Rawlings HOH, Wilson A2000, TPX Flare Nokona etc...

Comment

Anything Vinci.....you can't go wrong for quality at a price.
                In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

I recently bought an Insignia glove for my 15 yo who is a soph. He loves it. They are within your above price range. It is just a matter of preference. Biggest thing with whatever brand that you go with will be the method used for breaking it in. If done the right way, he will be happy with any of the gloves listed above.

Comment

I'll cast another vote for Wilson A2000. Son has 3 of them and we are waiting for #4 to be built. We did a custom 1B glove with our highschool colors. Won't be in highschool for 2 years but figured we'd get it now so we can slowly break it in.
                    Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.
                    (Babe Ruth)

Comment

Originally posted by RSMBob View Post
                      Hi all,

My son is 13+ and an avid baseball player...primarily SS, 3B, and P. Very strong arm but hasn't hit his growth spurt yet (he used to be a big kid 3-4years ago but is now average size). He's played 1 year on the big field already and is at the point where he is graitating out of his "youth" equipment, and the most important thing on his Christmas list is his first "adult" glove. As a former player myself, I know your glove is your best friend and I'd like to get him something special, but budget dictates shopping carefully.

I'd like to get him a 11 1/2-12" pitcher/IF glove and hopefully down the road a 12 1/2" or so OF/backup glove. I'm really trying to hone in on the primary P/IF glove and would like ideas and suggestions to take a look at. I'd like something that is durable that he can break in and use during the spring season and have it fully ready to go for summer and high school tryouts. Budget-wise, I'd like to stay around $100-$150 max. If there is something I really need to look at above that, let me know...I'm not a $400 bat guy, but I know how critical the glove is.

I'll be honest, I'm also thinking of giving up the "Santa" thing and taking HIM out with me as his coach and his dad for him to pick something out, but again, any help in steering me in the right direction is helpful. I might add he's also a 3 year umpire and did his first Majors plate game this fall, and oh yeah, he's a straight A student.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
                      Here are a couple suggestions. If your son is primarily an infielder who pitches. I would consider an 11 1/4" glove. Reason why is it is a little lighter then the 11 1/2" and the Rawlings 11 1/4 plays like an 11 1/2 because it has a shallow pocket. Which lengthens the glove. I would check these out.

Good Glove.

http://www.baseballexp.com/Rawlings/...w/36/index.pro

Better Glove

http://www.baseballexp.com/Rawlings/...w/36/index.pro

One of the best

http://www.baseballexp.com/Rawlings/...Id/2/index.pro

They will all last a long time but the Pro Preferred will last all 4 years. My son used a Pro Preferred for all 4 years playing an average of 90 games a year. It just depends on how you take care of it. After games he would wipe it down inside and out. It takes 1 minute. He had a Glove Gard that he always kept in it and he would put a high quality boot oil on it once a month. The oil needs to not only be put on the outside but in all the finger stalls and the thumb loop. These are normally the first places that break down.

Here are some more gloves. I personally do not believe you can go wrong with a Rawlings.

http://www.baseballexp.com/Rawlings/...Id/2/index.cat

Comment

justgloves.com has free shipping and free return on all of their gloves. It's a good option for getting a glove he can actually feel and mess around with in the house to help settle on one. It helped us decide on a certain glove a few years ago. They carry most brands.
                        Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.
                        (Babe Ruth)

Comment

Really appreciate the replies so far, and it's what I expected for the most part...the big 2 (Rawlings and Wilson) have great gloves in their middle-upper lines (HOH and A2000), and others such as Mizuno get mentions as well. I haven't been familiar with some of the lesser-known lines such as Insignia, Vinci, and I've even heard to check out Shoeless Joe among others, and certainly the custom gloves are intriguing.

Sounds like my son and I are going to visit a couple of sporting goods/baseball stores this weekend. In the meantime, i hope the discussion keeps going!

Comment

Another great deal on an A2000

http://www.baseballsavings.com/custo...attrVal0/SC-B2

Comment

I see more a2000s and Rawlings gloves of all kinds out there. My kid has had a nokona 11.5 for the last six seasons..if you take care of those gloves they hold up really well. This winter he is getting it repadded and relaced..he wants red laces. Nokona is pricey and maybe a little heavy for some.
                              http://www.justballgloves.com/produc...150sxmt-/8302/
                              Last edited by raptor; 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X